Galaxy S8 and S8 plus officially unveiled

AG1233

Another year, another iPhone and Samsung Galaxy, how much can smartphones advance in just one year?Why does apple demand over 500$ for a phone that has only 1 year long warranty?Why don't they make something for entry and mid level consumers?Why don't they invest into batteries?Why do people even buy a new phone every year?Besides why do they use different soc for the American market?

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

To annoy people like you.

The black bars will be fun!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

13 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

2960 x 1440

WHY!

Battery life....

-- BSOD : ( --

1 minute ago, MyName13 said:

Why don't they make something for entry and mid level consumers?

Samsung a shit ton of phones for the entry and mid range whereas Apple has only iPhone SE but you can get the older models for less than 500$

1 minute ago, MyName13 said:

Why does apple demand over 500$ for a phone that has only 1 year long warranty?

It depends on the retailer however.

Why don't they make something for entry and mid level consumers?

iPhone SE?

Why don't they invest into batteries?

Who said they don't, their phones are thinner = less space for batteries

Why do people even buy a new phone every year?

Contracts, to get newest and greatest, idiots, etc.

Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

Battery life....

Yay for extra work for the GPU and non standard aspect ratios!  I can deal with 16:10 with laptops and 4:3 for tablets since they are browsing devices, but 37 : 18 for a phone...why?

Pascal laptops guide

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You know what will be fun? Super tall portrait videos because it's likely the camera sensor will allow you to shoot at 37:18

Probably won't spend much time on the gallery vs video playback, but fair enough.

Pascal laptops guide

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well well. Looks like LG has their work cut out for them. Again. Though people who like to take pictures do find LG's camera setup more compelling.

That also looks like its doing super-resolution.

To annoy people like you.

Samsung apparently has had mass production capable 10nm since October.

SoC's tend to get smaller nodes first though.

that raises my other question, is the Exynos chip actually manufactured by Samsung ? or is it just a custom ARM chip, apple style ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

10 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Another year, another iPhone and Samsung Galaxy, how much can smartphones advance in just one year?Why does apple demand over 500$ for a phone that has only 1 year long warranty?Why don't they make something for entry and mid level consumers?Why don't they invest into batteries?Why do people even buy a new phone every year?Besides why do they use different soc for the American market?

Um what? Samsung makes decent budget devices..

Samsung J and A series

They need a different soc cause Qualcomm and American cellular networks are a bitch and still use CDMA and the bands

1 minute ago, DnFx91 said:

that raises my other question, is the Exynos chip actually manufactured by Samsung ? or is it just a custom ARM chip, apple style ?

Exynos is Samsung's baby.

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Yay for extra work for the GPU and non standard aspect ratios!  I can deal with 16:10 with laptops and 4:3 for tablets since they are browsing devices, but 37 : 18 for a phone...why?

In some aspects (hur dur), I kind of want a taller aspect ratio, for a few reasons:

• Let's me see more content, be it websites or Kindle
  • Keyboard takes up less space now, relative to the total space
  • Assuming most games put the control elements in relative positioning, it also means I get to see more game stuff than not. Assuming the FOV isn't screwed up or something.

The only gripe is sure, there's no video formats that use it, but that's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

Also I think extra resolution would be more of a display factor than the GPU needing to work harder, considering the display is an OLED one. And I'm certain there's been lots of effort put into making the GPU do as little work as possible. Like lowering the refresh rate automagically.

10 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

Custom arm tweaked and manufactured by Samsung iirc, (not 100% sure)

Will preorder non plus variant as soon as available.

Price is worth it IMO, has everything I want except a removable battery.

It'll be $30 a month for me with a free gear vr.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Haven't seen anything about expandable storage or swappable battery. Probably safe to assume this will be getting neither.

1 minute ago, MadOne627 said:

Haven't seen anything about expandable storage or swappable battery. Probably safe to assume this will be getting neither.

It has SD support but no removable battery.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3 minutes ago, MadOne627 said:

It has both and its internal memory is also starting at 64 gb.

Awesome. I am probably going to get one. I will give up on the swappable battery for water resistant, but will probably swap it a year in.

Just now, Aytex said:

Do try and get the exynos variant ?

I wish, unfortunately my only option will be the snapdragon.

45 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

I've said this before, I'll say it again:

For an actual cellphone (under 6-inch), 1440P nets you zero visual benefits over 1080P. Want 1440P? Get a tablet then.

Also anything with a screen size exceeding 6 inches is classified as a tablet. Using such devices as smartphones is absolutely moronic.

Only benefit of that resolution is VR. It will make a difference if anyone uses it for VR. But for everyone else who doesn't use it for VR. Yeah probably won't.

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

I'm pretty sure you can downsize the rez too on the s8, S7 edge has the same features

c7c3pemvwaaw2vw.jpg?itok=1IgsqMHQ

57 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

I've said this before, I'll say it again:

For an actual cellphone (under 6-inch), 1440P nets you zero visual benefits over 1080P. Want 1440P? Get a tablet then.

Also anything with a screen size exceeding 6 inches is classified as a tablet. Using such devices as smartphones is absolutely moronic.

And refresh rate should be no higher that 24fps because that is human eye limits right? 

I dont know about you but I can tell the difference pretty easily. Especially on content that takes full use of the extra pixels.