Galaxy S8 and S8 plus officially unveiled

AG1233
10 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

2L9uwYi.jpg

I laughed at this for a very long time...

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

What phone offers the complete combination of:

Snapdragon/Exynos 8895 level processing performance

Super small bezels

curved display

SD support

1440p OLED HDR Display

USB-C

3.5mm input

Facial Recognition

Fingerprint Scanner

Android N

As far as I see it there's no truly comparable device, especially in relation to how similar most other recent smartphones are.

What better options are available for the same price?

Not the Pixel

Not the G6

Not any snapdragon 821 device or prior

My 128gb Pixel XL is damn close. That'll do. Simply because i needed a phone ASAP and i couldn't wait 4+ months for the s8 release.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

33 minutes ago, Noctus said:

My 128gb Pixel XL is damn close. That'll do. Simply because i needed a phone ASAP and i couldn't wait 4+ months for the s8 release.

That makes sense because it was available in advance, but that's not what I'm contesting.

"There are better options if you are going to spend $700-800 and you can get comparable phones for $400" Is what I'm calling to question.

Granted, we haven't seen much outside of benchmarks and specs but what phone hardware is superior for the same price as the s8?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

That makes sense because it was available in advance, but that's not what I'm contesting.

"There are better options if you are going to spend $700-800 and you can get comparable phones for $400" Is what I'm calling to question.

Granted, we haven't seen much outside of benchmarks and specs but what phone hardware is superior for the same price as the s8?

Ah gotcha. Fair point. Wonder if it's worth selling the pixel and getting the S8 ?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

9 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Ah gotcha. Fair point.

My strict defense of the s8 is partially from waiting for it for so long, I got my update pricing just in time for the note 7 to be recalled. I came dangerously close to the pixel xl but my hands are fairly small and my distaste of the iphone-esque design pushed me away. The only Samsung I've had was the Galaxy Nexus so I have a decent opinion of Samsung phones. I've been checking for new leaks/info every morning at work for over a year and have researched the hardware too much not to defend the device, I just hope it's actual performance doesn't let me down and honestly it would have to be a pretty weak offering to not make me happy coming from my G3 that's basically on life support.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

5 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

My strict defense of the s8 is partially from waiting for it for so long, I got my update pricing just in time for the note 7 to be recalled. I came dangerously close to the pixel xl but my hands are fairly small and my distaste of the iphone-esque design pushed me away. The only Samsung I've had was the Galaxy Nexus so I have a decent opinion of Samsung phones. I've been checking for new leaks/info every morning at work for over a year and have researched the hardware too much not to defend the device, I just hope it's actual performance doesn't let me down and honestly it would have to be a pretty weak offering to not make me happy coming from my G3 that's basically on life support.

I had my note 7 pre ordered, was just awaiting stock/shipping when it was ordered recalled. Was pissed off to hell. Wonder if i should sell my pixel :v

6 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Blue? No blue? But why?

It does come in a Coral Blue variant.

2 hours ago, Noctus said:

I had my note 7 pre ordered, was just awaiting stock/shipping when it was ordered recalled. Was pissed off to hell. Wonder if i should sell my pixel :v

That's exactly what happened to me, I was waiting for my local store to get the next shipment but it never came. I really wanted that built in S pen and if I could wait any longer for a phone I would wait for the note 8 or whatever replaces it.

It'd be a little risky selling of the pixel unless you have a suitable backup. If you were trying to sell and get the s8 you risk the chance that the s8 ends up being a bad/problematic device but if you wait too long after release and the s8 is successful the pixel's value could decrease. If I were in your position I'd wait, by years end or q1 of next year you're likely to see a note 8 / note replacement and a Pixel 2.

6 minutes ago, AG1233 said:

It does come in a Coral Blue variant.

Outside of America only if the sources are correct. Which sucks because I liked the blue one :(

16 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Outside of America only if the sources are correct. Which sucks because I liked the blue one :(

It's the reverse for me i liked the gray one and it isnt launching here.I would have to pick the blue then.

7 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Oh Look, an LG g6! 

How does that look even remotely like a G6? 

2 hours ago, AG1233 said:

It's the reverse for me i liked the gray one and it isnt launching here.I would have to pick the blue then.

Wanna trade

BTW Verizon preorders start in 3 minutes (12:01am EST)

Too late @AG1233, I got the black one.

wav.png

A 5.8" screen as the smallest screen available is a bit much. They're putting a screen that's larger than the note on their flasgship phone, and then making what's essentially the new Note 6.2". Absolutely bonkers. Very few people want a screen size that large. 

EDIT: Even with that being said, I am not a Samsung fan *at all*, but this phone has the works, and it looks very nice. I may go for the "smaller" S8 if the price is right.

COMIC SANS

12 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

What phone offers the complete combination of:

Snapdragon/Exynos 8895 level processing performance

Super small bezels

curved display

SD support

1440p OLED HDR Display

USB-C

3.5mm input

Facial Recognition

Fingerprint Scanner

Android N

As far as I see it there's no truly comparable device, especially in relation to how similar most other recent smartphones are.

What better options are available for the same price?

Not the Pixel

Not the G6

Not any snapdragon 821 device or prior

Dude, my point wasn't that a $400 device actually has better specs. It's like I could buy the Asus ultra wide (21:9), 100hz, Gsync, 3440 x 1440 monitor called the Asus ROG Swift PG348Q for $1,150. OR I could buy a $200-$400 monitor that I would also be happy with. 

Yes, I'm in complete agreement that Samsung has arguably the top smart mobile device on the market. There are phones that are about $400 bucks that are actually comparable in speed and specs. Sure it won't be as water proof or HDR, or some other things but those aren't things that make or break the choice for me.

There are actually really amazing devices that are half the price of a new galaxy. That's all I am saying. YES the Galaxy is a lambo but maybe I don't need a lambo.

Phone screen looks a lot like the screen on the G6. I'm still not sold on the design, looks very fragile.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I preordered Note 7 and I'm not going make that mistake again.

I like how Galaxy S8 looks but I'm not sure it's what I really need. It still does not have stereo speakers. The fingerprint sensor is on the back and it's location is very inconvenient. It makes the back look symmetrical but it will not be comfortable to use. The camera is still 12 Mpix, which makes 16:9 photos only 9,1 Mpix. I mean why would you want 4:3 photos? To have black bars? Majority of people use 16:10, 16:9 or even wider aspect ratios. I remember the old Note 4 had 16 Mpix sensor and it was capable of shooting pictures in 16:9 in that resolution. Don't get me wrong. The picture quality on S7 Edge is great. I just wish it could capture more details in 16:9.

The DeX docking station sounds good. I would use it... but I already own a decent gaming PC and a notebook. It's not capable of serious work or gaming. In my case I just don't see the point. I assume that will be the future: smartphone as a computer. I really like that idea but we are not there yet. Anyway not for me.

I owned Note 7 and currently own Galaxy S7 Edge. I'm really happy with it. I don't feel a need to change. The preorder here in Poland is quite bad. We don't get anything special except for Samsung Guard. The S8+ model costs 1016 USD with tax. I just don't see it worthy.

1 hour ago, JAKEBAB said:

Apparently people don't know what screen to body ratio is.

S8+, S7 Edge, S8

Image-1.jpg

I just looked it up. The GS8 is 148.9 x 68.1 x 8 mm. So, width wise it's actually pretty easy to hold because it's only 68.1 mm. 148.9 mm in height though. With how long the screen is, that's a lot of screen to try and use with 1 hand to reach the top. 

The HTC 10 is 145.9 x 71.9 x 9 mm with a 5.2 inch screen. I find that to be pretty good for being able to use with 1 hand.

The S7 edge is 150.9 x 72.6 x 7.7 mm with a 5.5 inch screen. I think it was already big. 5.5 inch screen was the original phablet size screen.

Sure, the phone is easier to hold with the width being not as wide but the screen is still big to try and touch all of it.

7 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

That's exactly what happened to me, I was waiting for my local store to get the next shipment but it never came. I really wanted that built in S pen and if I could wait any longer for a phone I would wait for the note 8 or whatever replaces it.

It'd be a little risky selling of the pixel unless you have a suitable backup. If you were trying to sell and get the s8 you risk the chance that the s8 ends up being a bad/problematic device but if you wait too long after release and the s8 is successful the pixel's value could decrease. If I were in your position I'd wait, by years end or q1 of next year you're likely to see a note 8 / note replacement and a Pixel 2.

Yeah i had a check on phone selling websites and the max ive seen offered for the pixel xl 128gb is £370 lol. Under half the buyout price and over 300 under the contract price (after 2yr contract) and it's only 4 months old rofl.

But yeah, i guess ill wait for a hopefully note variant of the 6.2 S8 since i REALLY like the S pen and the features it came with. Or hopefully google goes HAM on the Pixel XL 2 now that they've seen what Samsung has brought to the table.