Is anyone OK with the new thumbnails and titles?

Hey! So... I was wondering if I'm the only one who is this annoyed by the new thumbnails and video titles. I love the channel's content in its majority, but Linus following this trend makes me want to pull my hair out. It really drives me crazy. Does anyone have a suggestion regarding how to stop this? Linus himself said in the WAN show he didn't like it, but it gave him more views, so he didn't have a choice. Are we out of options here? I appreciate any help. 

You aren't the only one, in fact one of my threads about it got way more attention than I ever expected. Anyway main result is that these thumbnails and titles feed off people with impulse control issues, giving Linus more views and as a result money, so there's no reason for him not to do it. Completely understandable, still freaking annoying... (Mordin Solus sniff) unlikely to change.

1 minute ago, Eaglerino said:

these thumbnails and titles feed off people with impulse control issues, giving Linus more views and as a result money, so there's no reason for him not to do it.

Basically, the only way to fix the problem is to remove a lot of idiots all at once.  Problem is, that is impossible to do, so we're stuck. 

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Ironically I care more about the new outro than the title or the thumbnail

Regardless of any of it, I'm gonna watch it. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Yes , i'm okay with it

- (12-13 year olds)

Details separate people.

4 hours ago, Tancio said:

Hey! So... I was wondering if I'm the only one who is this annoyed by the new thumbnails and video titles. I love the channel's content in its majority, but Linus following this trend makes me want to pull my hair out. It really drives me crazy. Does anyone have a suggestion regarding how to stop this? Linus himself said in the WAN show he didn't like it, but it gave him more views, so he didn't have a choice. Are we out of options here? I appreciate any help. 

We are out of options.

It's a business decision, not one that was made because my personal feelings make me want to make silly faces in our thumbnails.

The cold hard reality is that if making a goofy face drives 15-25% more click through on a video we would have made anyway, then that extra few minutes of effort on something that already has MANY hours invested in it is a no-brainer.

It's generated lots of complaints, but look at it from my perspective.. What do I do that DOESN'T generate lots of complaints? Do any of you even remember the uproar over the name of the WAN Show when it was renamed from "Livestream"?... :P

Everyone will get used to it, and we'll continue having (by far) our best year ever for viewership and growth..

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/linustechtips

i dont really mind or even care

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

We are out of options.

It's a business decision, not one that was made because my personal feelings make me want to make silly faces in our thumbnails.

But you don't have to go so far as the thumbnail for the EVGA ICX video card? That was simply ridiculous, even according to the new thumbnail standards. Dont get me wrong, great video, but that thumbnail is all kinds of horrible.

i5-6600K @ 4.5 GHz |I| Hyper 212 EVO |I| ASUS STRIX Z270E |I| 8 GB DDR4 HyperX FURY
GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6GB @ 2088 MHz
DEEPCOOL TESSERACT WH |I| EVGA 500 W1 80+
1TB 7200rpm HDD |I| 120GB SSD
GN246HL 144Hz 1080p

Corsair K70 LUX RGB |I| Corsair M65 Pro RGB
PCPP: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/DHzYcf

1 minute ago, NuclearKing said:

But you don't have to go so far as the thumbnail for the EVGA ICX video card?

5 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

It's a business decision

making a goofy face drives 15-25% more click through on a video

What do I do that DOESN'T generate lots of complaints? 

When you're owner of LTT, you get to make the decisions. When you're the provider for (I believe) thirteen other people's income, it puts pressure on you to be the best employer you can, so if you do something small that makes a big difference (legally), you'll gonna do it. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

As much as I don't like it, it generates more views and I don't tend to look at the thumbnail for more than a few seconds so I don't care. While keeping a professional look is nice, LMG is a business and a business needs to grow to survive, and goofy thumbnails are a great way to grow fast.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Honestly, I don't mind the pictures. Its the titles that really piss me off

And I get why they do it. Its just annoying. Like the Windows 9 thing where its really just special windows 8. 

Something like 'The OS between 8 and 10' would have been better IMO

Still clickbaity, but less deceiving (sort of). IDK

@LinusTech just give me scrapyard wars

Breaking things 1 day at a time

15 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

LinusTechTips is about to hit 1B views.  Congratulations! :)

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

26 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

When you're owner of LTT, you get to make the decisions. When you're the provider for (I believe) thirteen other people's income, it puts pressure on you to be the best employer you can, so if you do something small that makes a big difference (legally), you'll gonna do it. 

19 other people + my dependents, so supporting 22 people

17 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

LinusTechTips is about to hit 1B views.  Congratulations! :)

I really don't care

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

39 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

We are out of options.

The cold hard reality is that if making a goofy face drives 15-25% more click through on a video we would have made anyway, then that extra few minutes of effort on something that already has MANY hours invested in it is a no-brainer.

It's generated lots of complaints, but look at it from my perspective.. What do I do that DOESN'T generate lots of complaints? Do any of you even remember the uproar over the name of the WAN Show when it was renamed from "Livestream"?... :P

Everyone will get used to it, and we'll continue having (by far) our best year ever for viewership and growth..

Let's not forget that delid video. Or that "ram speed doesn't matter" video. I'll complain in your honor, my good sir!

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I don't care either.

The thumbnail honestly just help me know it's a Linus video

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

50 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

I really don't want to continue this, but todays 1080 video's thumbnail is quite frankly just click bait, i have no issue with goofy faces, but showing Luke "cutting" a 1080 in the thumbnail is really quite misleading. 

ffghfgh.png

7 hours ago, Tancio said:

I was wondering if I'm the only one who is this annoyed by the new thumbnails and video titles.

I'm not really annoyed at the thumbnails or video titles... 

3 hours ago, LinusTech said:

If the business decision allows for LMG to get more clicks and thus raise more revenue to provide more content, then there is no problems with the thumbnails and titles.  Just so long as the content remains at least mostly factual, informative and entertaining (subjective).  Also, if there are previous videos where some prior topics are now out of date, is LMG looking at revising that material?  Maybe as a follow-up?

3 hours ago, LinusTech said:

We are out of options.

I understand your position. I'm plain frustrated. I'll be honest, I watch your content anyways. I just wish there was an easy solution for the direction YouTube is taking. The only one seems to be education, that is not your responsibility and it would take time. Anyways, I'd appreciate it if you avoided misleading titles in the meantime.

Best regards to you and all the crew ?

I feel the thumbnails gotten better after they reached the bottom with that laptop SSD video a while back.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Lol I had no idea that there was such a thing as Youtube thumbnail controversies :D Maybe I should start putting pictures of cats making weird faces in my thumbnails ^_^ Either way I like the videos you guys do, no matter what the thumbnail picture is lol, keep up the good work.

7 hours ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

I really don't want to continue this, but todays 1080 video's thumbnail is quite frankly just click bait, i have no issue with goofy faces, but showing Luke "cutting" a 1080 in the thumbnail is really quite misleading. 

ffghfgh.png

It's a card in a vice. I agree it could be more clear that he's *compressing* it. But it's not misleading so much as a way to visualize the topic. 

People are making waaaaaay to much out of the thumbnails ... its not your channel it Linus'.

I honestly think the thumbnails are interesting and find nothing wrong with them. 

If there is something for someone to complain about there will always be someone to make complaints. :| 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 hours ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

ffghfgh.png

Who was misled by this? Did you honestly think they crushed a video card in a vice?

I admit the thumbnails and titles can get a bit click bait ish at times. But you people find the stupidest shit to complain about. If it's truly such an onerous insult to your proprieties, unsubscribe. I understand constructive criticism, but to be so butt hurt over a thumbnail image.

@LinusTech I for one appreciate your hard work.  Keep it up. And if you make content I don't like I promise to just not watch it in silence and wait for the next video.

Edited by Corrupt_Liberty
Damn you autocorrect.

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

11 hours ago, LinusTech said:

It's generated lots of complaints, but look at it from my perspective.. What do I do that DOESN'T generate lots of complaints?

How about making good content? Oh wait, you were asking for things you are doing...

11 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Don't you think the problem is that you now have 20 (is that right?) people and you're... Making Youtube videos?

The fixed costs for LMG must be through the roof, at least compared to other youtube channels.

How many videos do you make a week again? Like 10? If that's the case, you pay about an average of 80 hours worth of salary to make each video (assuming those 20 people are employed 40 hours a week). For the type of content you put out, that is mind boggling high.

(And yes, I do know that not all 20 people are working on videos directly, which is why I said "hours worth of salary").

I get that "we have no options left" is an easy excuse because you now have to pay all these people, but you were the one who decided to expand and employ these people to begin with. If you really are so strapped for cash as it seems (because whenever someone brings up you compromising on quality for higher income people go "He has to feed his kids and pay his employees! They have no other options left!") then why keep employing more people?

There is no shortage of examples of channels which makes far better content, with much fewer people.

To an outsider like me, it just seems like you are trapped in an endless spiral where your "solution" to your problem is actually the cause. You need more money to pay for all the fixed expenses, so you employ more people to help with videos and other operational things, which in turn makes the fixed expenses even higher and so on...

I would not be surprised if, in a couple of years, you will have employed more people and still be in the same situation where "we need more money!" is your excuse for compromising on the quality of your content.

1 hour ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

@LinusTech I for one appreciate your hard work.  Keep it up. And if you make content I don't like I promise to just not watch it in silence and wait for the next video.

You might think that's what Linus wants, but it's not.

Fans that don't speak out when they think someone is heading in the wrong direction is the worst type of fans. It's like letting your friend drive home even though they are drunk as hell. A good friend will say "hey, I know you want to drive right now but that is a bad idea. You should take a taxi instead.".

If everyone did like you then the channel might have been dead already. Everyone might just have stopped watching without ever giving Linus a hint of why people were not watching anymore, or what he should have changed to improve his content.