Photographer sues Getty Images for Licensing Her Public Domain Images

You may want to be cautious about using any images from Getty in any circumstance, there have been multiple reports of people getting letters from Getty stating that they have infringed their copyright and demand a $120 or so fee. One woman by the name of Carol Highsmith received one such letter recently, the catch was the infringing photo was her own that she donated to the public domain via the Library of Congress.

She soon discovers that Getty and other stock image sites have taken her entire archive of public domain photos and licensed them without her knowledge or permission, she is now suing for $1 Billion. More information in the linked articles below...

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/07/photographer-sues-getty-images-for-selling-photos-she-donated-to-public/

http://hyperallergic.com/314079/photographer-files-1-billion-suit-against-getty-for-licensing-her-public-domain-images/

Carol_M._Highsmith_self_portrait_in_Will

Self Portrait of Carol Highsmith. 1980.

Good for her. Hope whoever sent that infringement letter feels like an idiot now.

Would be nice to provide the quotes from Getty's CEO, they stink of evil corporate motherfuckers.

And hopefully Getty fucking dies like Gawker did

Lol I got mad xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Getty rhymes with Yeti

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, JAKEBAB said:

$1B just a tad bit high don't you think?

$120 copyright fine is just a tad bit high don't you think?

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Probably the scummiest fucking move I heard this past few weeks. Though maybe because Ubi has been quiet and Kotaku has turn shit over to the Hulkster.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, MohawkADE said:

You may want to be cautious about using any images from Getty in any circumstance, there have been multiple reports of people getting letters from Getty stating that they have infringed their copyright and demand a $120 or so fee. One woman by the name of Carol Highsmith received one such letter recently, the catch was the infringing photo was her own that she donated to the public domain via the Library of Congress.

She soon discovers that Getty and other stock image sites have taken her entire archive of public domain photos and licensed them without her knowledge or permission, she is now suing for $1 Billion. More information in the linked articles below...

Damn straight!

1 hour ago, JAKEBAB said:

Will probably sink most of these sites...

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Donate and got sued...

And then demands not $1m, but $1b

Fighting stupid with stupid I guess.

Or proving a bloody hard point... organizations don't respect copyright laws and rights of the owners.

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

Good. Getty went down Scum road and they should pay for it through their ears.

$1bn is a hefty pile of cash, but ridiculous events should be met with ridiculous actions

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

2 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

Her library is quite substantial (and well known), at over 100000 images. So it works out to be about $1000 per image, and Getty is profiting off of each one. So it's not actually that unreasonable. But of course settlement/awarded payout will be lower.

39 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

Her library is quite substantial (and well known), at over 100000 images. So it works out to be about $1000 per image

That should be $10000 per image, still reasonable. Getty Images licence costs are very high. just throwing some random numbers into their price calculator they quoted $9120 NZD ($6536 USD) plus tax for use in a magazine or $595 NZD ($426 USD) plus tax for use of a photo in a blog for 6 months. 

Shouldn't it be the public domain suing Getty Images though?

Perhaps Getty could diversify their business and sell oxygen licenses, then send out infringement notices to everyone in the entire world for breaching their attempts to rip people off.

Good on her :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

5 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

Likely a settlement will happen for a more moderate price. Still, bad karma on Getty.

$1 billion?!! I would be happy with 2 1080's...

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

So she's allowed to sue up to $25,000 per infringement of which there are over 18,000 so about $500 million. Then because the company she is sueing had been found guilty of this before recently she can go after 3x the normal amount or close to $1.5b. Seems she's letting them off easy by only asking for $1b :P

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Stop right there, criminal scum! You have violated the law! You can either pay the court a fine or serve your sentence. 

The story sounds ridiculous. Sounds like they've taken public domain photos and selling licenses for them. You could argue they've created an easy central repository and that's their reason for taking money for otherwise free photos but it's still shady even if that was the case and to top it off by trying to take money from the photographer of the photo. Massive failure. 

Bad call from her to sue for a billion dollars. She comes off as a bit too opportunist and may loss because of that... because well it's the world we live in especially in the UK/US world.

It's a shame because she deserves to win.

Good on her, it's about time stock image websites get their scummy practices exposed.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

4 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Bad call from her to sue for a billion dollars. She comes off as a bit too opportunist and may loss because of that... because well it's the world we live in especially in the UK/US world.

It's a shame because she deserves to win.

The basic math for damages for Getty claiming to own the copyright on her pictures (so they can sell licenses for them) says she can sue for $500M USD, but because Getty has lost a case already in the past 3 years it gets to be tripled upto $1.5B USD, so even $1B is kinda letting them off lightly from the maximum damages she could get from them due to the circumstances.

Just now, Technous285 said:

The basic math for damages for Getty claiming to own the copyright on her pictures (so they can sell licenses for them) says she can sue for $500M USD, but because Getty has lost a case already in the past 3 years it gets to be tripled upto $1.5B USD, so even $1B is kinda letting them off lightly from the maximum damages she could get from them due to the circumstances.

We'll see what the jury will say..

Those fuckers (Getty) tried to sue us for images on our website (We're a Public Library), so this is just sweet irony to me.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, d3sl91 said:

Looks like they are getting sued again today over another 47k pictures.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/08/getty-images-sued-again-over-alleged-misuse-of-over-47000-photos/

so $25,000 x 47,000 x 3 = $3.5B max

$3.5B + $1B = $4.5B max

That is a lot of money!

According to Bloomberg they are only worth $3.3B xD

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-08-23/gettys-pics-worth-1-000-words-and-3-dot-3-billion

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)