Photographer sues Getty Images for Licensing Her Public Domain Images

1 minute ago, Bensemus said:

so $25,000 x 47,000 x 3 = $3.5B max

$3.5B + $1B = $4.5B max

That is a lot of money!

According to Bloomberg they are only worth $3.3B xD

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-08-23/gettys-pics-worth-1-000-words-and-3-dot-3-billion

Those are of course the maximum figures.

In reality, even if Getty is proven Guilty of all charges, they will settle for a MUCH smaller figure.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Those are of course the maximum figures.

In reality, even if Getty is proven Guilty of all charges, they will settle for a MUCH smaller figure.

Even so, if they DO settle for a much smaller figure, their reputation and business practices will probably get put under a lot of scrutiny and probably end up with the company basically dead - either through bleeding cash as more suits come up and are "settled" or as investors pull out and their stock becomes as valuable as leaves on a tree (aka: nothing).

I'm guessing this more to go after the family and not just the company? Getty are quite into politics afaik. 

1 hour ago, Technous285 said:

Even so, if they DO settle for a much smaller figure, their reputation and business practices will probably get put under a lot of scrutiny and probably end up with the company basically dead - either through bleeding cash as more suits come up and are "settled" or as investors pull out and their stock becomes as valuable as leaves on a tree (aka: nothing).

Entirely possible - this is the fate that awaits businesses who troll the law.

Frankly, I would have no pity if Getty went under. They STOLE 18,000 IMAGES FROM THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS (LOC), and then tried to fine the original photographer who gave those images to LOC under the Public Domain license.

I mean... shit. They dun fucked up. I bet you whoever uploaded those images to the Getty "catalogue" is fucking dead (and by dead I mean super fired) by now.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

14 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Bad call from her to sue for a billion dollars. She comes off as a bit too opportunist and may loss because of that... because well it's the world we live in especially in the UK/US world.

It's a shame because she deserves to win.

She may have consulted a lawyer who convinced her to file the suit and assured her victory in any form whether it be a case win or settlement.

23 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

$120 copyright fine is just a tad bit high don't you think?

Especially for your own work.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This just reminds me of how someone got their own YouTube video taken down due a copyright claim as Fox used their video in an episode of Simpsons or something like that...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

50 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

This just reminds me of how someone got their own YouTube video taken down due a copyright claim as Fox used their video in an episode of Simpsons or something like that...

That was the Double Dribble (iirc) glitch video which Fox used in Family Guy (without bothering to ask if they could use that exact video, or bothering to try replicating it themselves) then proceeded to DMCA the original YT video before they got called out on it and reverted the claim and restored the original video.

On 8/4/2016 at 6:00 AM, NumLock21 said:

Getty rhymes with Yeti

It also rhymes with vomit on their sweater, mom's spaghetti.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/