Amazon backtracks after covering NYC subway car in Nazi symbols

Samfisher

Source : http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2015/11/amazon-backtracks-after-covering-nyc-subway-car-in-nazi-symbols/

Screen-Shot-2015-11-24-at-1.55.49-PM-640

Amazon decided to promote their new TV series based on Philip K. Dick's 1962 novel The Man In The High Castle.  A novel where the the Axis nations won WW2 and won so decisively they took over the US.  With Nazi symbols and the Japanese Imperial flag on a NY subway car...

Ad campaign got pulled after one day after massive online criticism, and even got the NY Mayor to blast this irresponsible decision.

As Twitter photos reveal, the ad campaign covered many subway benches on the MTA's S line with giant, flag-styled designs; one of those combined an American flag, a Nazi Eagle, and an Iron cross, while the other retouched Japan's war flag variant with American colors and stars.

Your thoughts?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

its actually pretty cool

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

And people are upset over it? Talk about sensitivities...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I understand why people are upset and it was pretty stupid on Amazon's part (unless they're going for controversial, in which case gg)... But it isn't really something worth getting your knickers in a twist over.

I like the 'women for trump' profile picture as well in that picture.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

People get offended too easily. They need to quit being little bitches.

Agreed. Welcome to pansy ass America.

It's not even the actual symbol of the Third Reich. That had the swastika under the eagle to my knowledge, as opposed to the Axis emblem.

Sort of off topic, does anyone think the eagle in the Reichsadler looks really cool?

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Agreed. Welcome to pansy ass America.

It's not even the actual symbol of the Third Reich. That had the swastika under the eagle to my knowledge, as opposed to the Axis emblem.

Sort of off topic, does anyone think the eagle in the Reichsadler look really cool?

Well considering the premise is the Axis nations won, not just Nazi Germany :)

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

This is pretty stupid and irresponsible. On par with with the COD(?) twitter account that tweeted out a terrorist attack. Why exactly do they need to paint the benches with flags of Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany to promote their show?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Also, who is this Katherine Lam woman who has lost all credibility calling those Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan symbols? She's nowhere near correct and she probably couldn't even state when WWII started and ended.

Привет товарищ ))))

IMO it is controversial

Because I heard from my grandparents of how my great uncles were taken away by Japanese soldiers and never to see them again

not even their bodies are found

And Singapore was under Japan rule and it was a horrible time with all the tortures and ruling.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I don't see the problem. It symbolizes nothing immoral. It's axis. It's not symbolizing any kind of holocaust or anything. Alternate timelines are pretty interesting imo.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Well considering the premise is the Axis nations won, not just Nazi Germany :)

True, but those aren't even historical emblems/flags. Not like the general American public would know anyways. Lol.

Привет товарищ ))))

Woah, society is so sensitive these days. IMO it looks pretty cool.

Intel i5 4690k | NZXT Kraken x61 | MSI z97 Gaming 5 | MSI GTX 970 EVGA Supernova G2 750 G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2133mhz [2x8] | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD NZXT H440 [black and Red]

Saving for a Dream rig :)

I don't see the problem. It symbolizes nothing immoral. It's axis. It's not symbolizing any kind of holocaust or anything. Alternate timelines are pretty interesting imo.

Speaking of alternate timelines, could you imagine the engineering marvels Germany would have created if they won WWII? My God.

Though I shouldn't have to say that I'm thankful the Nazis lost WWII. That's obvious.

Привет товарищ ))))

The ads aren't just on the seats, actually the entire line of cars inside and out is covered with it.

2qbxixe.jpg

2cqlmr4.png

They've done a lot of other ones too.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Jeez people. Is America still offended by the Nazi Swastikas and Birds?

What has it been? 70 years?

FUN FACT: THE SWASTIKA IS WAS A SYMBOL PEACE AND TOLERANCE IN THE OLDEN' DAYS!

Good point.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Jeez people. Is America still offended by the Nazi Swastika?

What has it been? 70 years?

You can't say that a symbol that was associated with hate 70 years ago was actually peace, tolerance, and order for thousands of years.  That's just intolerant.  Shame on you.  

8TRbWHMb.jpg

In all seriousness - it is ridiculous that it has continued on as a symbol for hatred when it was used in many religions and philosophy for thousands of years as a symbol of good.  I believe the earliest record of it was like.. 10,000-ish B.C.?  Or something like that.

Yup. Hitler just reversed the symbol for his use.

The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means “good fortune” or “well-being." The motif (a hooked cross) appears to have first been used in Neolithic Eurasia, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky. To this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism.

*edit to add

Swastikas also have an ancient history in Europe, appearing on artifacts from pre-Christian European cultures.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

They aren't even Nazi symbols! Somebody probably blew the whistle and a whole bunch of people that weren't educated or didn't do research on the topic just jumped on the wagon.

According to my research, in Nazi Germany, the Reichsadler (the coat of arms) had a Swastika in the middle and not an Iron Cross(which is in fact a German military decoration). The other flag I didn't even notice pertained to Imperial Japan....

System: Thinkpad T460