Microsoft Lumia 950/950XL camera is jaw dropping impressive [56K Modem Warning - Super large images]

GoodBytes

** All images bellow have been shrinked by 25% for slow internet users. Click on them to see full size and from the original source (MS servers) **

I urge you to click and see the original size.

The Lumia team made a blog post 2 days ago, in the Microsoft Devices blog showcasing the camera in the Microsoft coming new phone the Lumia 950 XL (the 950 has the same camera). Nokia Lumia phones have always (well excluding the low end models) been known for their camera. And the treand continues by pushing the envelope with the Lumia team now part of Microsoft.

(click to zoom - image here reduced by 25%)

WP_20150922_15_56_52_Pro.jpg

While no full details is given yet, Lumia phone camera are good because they don't mind putting a large and really good sensor. That is why the Lumia 950 and 950XL have their camera protruding outside while not being a thin phone like the iPhone.

The camera features a 20-megapixel with advanced BSI sensor made by Sony, ISO12800, and features a F1.9 Zeiss optics, and triple-LED flash light to be able to adjust the color of the flash for natural white color, and avoids red eyes. The camera features an image stabilization system which the company calls 'fifth-generation optical image stabilization'. (The front camera is 5-megapixel wide-angle camera. What is showcased here is the back camera).

Moreover, the Lumia team have been really good at post processing the image, just to make the camera appear even better.

Noticed from the picture above on how the red is vivid and 'rich', while the skin tone of the person is natural with no noise or artifacts.

In addition to the colors, look at the fine details and texture. The image looks perfectly natural, almost like it’s a film. You won’t see any noise or artifacts.

You can also notice how nicely both bright and shadow areas are exposed in this photo. The native dynamic range of the camera is amazing–HDR is rarely needed.

How about up close images (micro). Lumia team shows that off as well, and under low light conditions:

(click to view full size)

WP_20150906_10_02_20_Rich_LI.jpg

Notice the texture of the leafs, the richness of the color green which not being oversaturate image.

(click to view full size)

WP_20150924_09_23_31_Pro-2.jpg

Notice that despite being in a low light environment, the skin tone is perfect, you can even see the hair on the skin, and veins on the eyes, and even the texture of the skin.

But how about a truly low light environment, in an environment that is more realistic to most consumers usage?

The Lumia team is not afraid of showing this. No setups, no perfectly planned image, or anything like that.

Of course, that would mean a sever cut in niceness normally, and while we can see this, the camera is still shine.

Bellow picture shows a normal picture, of a co-worker of the Lumia team, in a restaurant in the evening.

We now start to see noise on the picture. But notice that it still retains the details of the skin of the person, colors, and continues to look 'life like'

(click for giant-o-vision)

WP_20150923_19_37_24_Pro-1.jpg

The person that took the image (Juha Alakarhu, the author of the blog post), shows another image with what he says is a competing phone.

20150923_1936331.jpg

I took the photos below when I was having dinner with a colleague of mine, in a low light setting. The image on the left [the top one under spoiler tag] was captured by one of our competitor’s phones, which represents a typical smartphone camera quality in this kind of condition. As you can see the image looks pretty smashed.

The image on the right [first image of the person above] was captured by Lumia 950 XL. It looks natural and the noise is beautiful. I think there is something very pure in it. This is what leadership in imaging algorithms means.

When we started to design the camera on the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL, one of our most important objectives was that everybody should be able to take good photos in all conditions. The camera has some very advanced technologies to achieve this.

Of course, more advanced photographers know how to manually adjust the ISO and exposure time for different situations. Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL are making those decisions for you, by analyzing how you hold the camera and what is happening in the scene. With these phones, everybody can shoot like a pro.

And it gets even more exciting when you use Rich Capture mode. It uses two exposure times for the same image: short for the moving object and long for the static part of the image. Capturing everyday moments, like moving children, is much easier with this feature.

The camera knows you. The camera is almost like a mind reader.

As mentioned, the camera has 3 LED flash on it. It uses red green and blue LED flash which automatically matches the ambient of the environment, which is what helps achieve these beautiful pictures under low light environment.

One feature that stands out is the new flash technology. The natural three LED (red, green, blue) flash automatically matches the colors of the ambient light. This means that if you’re taking a photo outside at twilight, the flash will produce a blue light to complement the bluish color of the scene, and if you’re taking a photo of a candlelit dinner, the flash will adjust to expose candlelight.

(once again, click for larger)

WP_20151012_17_38_33_Rich_LI.jpg

The camera takes 2 pictures every time you press the phone dedicated camera picture button. One with flash, and the other without, when using Rich Capture mode, and takes the best of both. They call this algorithm: Dynamic Flash.

In addition, in Rich Capture mode it is possible for you to change the amount of light in a photo after the image is taken. The camera takes two photos, one with flash and one without, and we use very clever algorithms to get the best of both. This is called Dynamic Flash.

It’s like magic. I think the Dynamic Flash function makes the RGB flash literally shine, and you capture the best flash photos you have ever seen.

There is also much more to the cameras on these phones, like 3rd generation living images and one unified Windows 10 Camera and Photos experience. We’ll cover those in more detail in a follow up blog post soon.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/devices/2015/10/15/camera-magic-on-microsoft-lumia-950-and-lumia-950-xl/

I don't know about you guys, but these are just jaw dropping to me, and to have the courage to show case the camera in a real world situation, under worst case (ok well worst case situation is probably pitch black room, but realistic worst case), showing the camera under it's worst situation, and it looks THAT good, and this is a smart phone, not a digital camera, that, to me, is just incredible.

but but... windows phone. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I have to say I don't love my opt that much, and If I can sell it for a good deal then this is a good alternative, but pricing will probably follow along with the fact it's good or bad 

and the fact it's windows already makes it a hard sale

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Pretty. I need.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Saw them earlier today. Jaw dropped. High end Lumia phones always kicked ass. Remember what a revolution the 920 was with OIS and amazing low light performance no phone and even some cameras couldn't match.

Right around that time HTC was bragging with the HTC One low light performance with the UltraPixel camera and the mid range Lumia 720 just destroyed it... :D

goodbytes please, i have bad internet, your killing me

Wdnm6Rl_700w_0.jpg

56K modem warning added to title, and now the images have been shrinked by 25% and hosted on my slow server. Click on the image for full image.

Sorry for this.

hory shet!!!

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

the camera on my phone is alright ish. (Nokia icon)

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Wasn't Nokia busted once for using a dslr as advertisement for their phone cameras? I'll wait till a reviewer gets their time with one.

Edit: nevermind that, just a rumor going around. I still won't fully trust these advertisements though.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

imna stay with my lumia 530 for now, 480p blur is enough :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Hey, remember when Nokia were caught lying in their Lumia 920 commercial? If you don't, here is a refresher.

Don't trust ad material. These photos might be real, and they might be complete bullshit. Even if they are real you should not use them to judge the camera quality. Wait for proper reviews before you make your mind up.

The photos looks very good but so do pretty much all the sample photos. They almost always have very good lighting, takes multiple shots and pick the best one and then tweaks the RAW until it's as good as it can get.

But with that being said, Nokia phones usually got very good cameras. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the competition which has put a lot of attention on their cameras for the past few generations.

Edit 1:

For those of you wondering, the EXIF says that the "competitor" is a Galaxy S 6. ISO was set to 1000 on both. The S6 had a shutter speed of 1/10 seconds and the Lumia had a shutter speed of 1/7 seconds (again, according to the EXIF).

I have to give them minus points for making the girl smile in the Lumia photo and look bored in the Galaxy's photo. That's like the oldest trick in the book.

Edit 2:

Wait a minute... The Galaxy S6 photo is 2988x3984. That's 12 megapixels. The maximum resolution of the S6 is 2988x5312 (16MP).

The 950 photo is 3744x4992. That's 18.7 megapixels. The maximum resolution of the 950 is 20 megapixels (don't know exact resolution).

My guess is that they took the photos and then cropped them so that the framing were as close as possible, but it's a bit dishonest. If that's what they did, did they intentionally compress the S6's image more as well? Because there is a huge difference in file size (3.8MB vs 7MB).

Not going to accuse them of anything, but you should definitely not trust this comparison. Wait for independent reviews.

At first I though the last picture of the team member at dinner was quite, then I saw the image in the spoiler and wow, the "competitor's" photo looks terrible in comparison. Pretty neat to see how much a professorial set affects the picture.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Just buy a camera, pussies ;)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Wait a minute... The Galaxy S6 photo is 2988x3984. That's 12 megapixels. The maximum resolution of the S6 is 2988x5312 (16MP).

The 950 photo is 3744x4992. That's 18.7 megapixels. The maximum resolution of the 950 is 20 megapixels (don't know exact resolution).

My guess is that they took the photos and then cropped them so that the framing were as close as possible, but it's a bit dishonest. If that's what they did, did they intentionally compress the S6's image more as well? Because there is a huge difference in file size (3.8MB vs 7MB).

Not going to accuse them of anything, but you should definitely not trust this comparison. Wait for independent reviews.

That is actually probably because on the side, the images where side-by-side (left and write), and tried to have both displayed correctly.

Edit 2:

the sensor may be 20mp but some cameras don't use the entire sensor for whatever reason.

The camera seems fine. It's small sensor size is no match for my old Samsung NX2000 camera for the mere fact that the NX has larger sensor, Image processing can only go so far.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Snip

One of the reasons why I bought a Lumia 925 is that it had "a great camera"(and this was for the day, two years ago roughly). Now that I own it I just have to say meh. It takes good pictures given the right scenario(and knowledge of photography, geez this thing needs a better auto), but its not any better than other competing phones at the time. I wouldn't buy a Lumia for the camera ever again(unless if its a hybrid like the Galaxy zoom or whatever).

Holy mother of......I might just be getting a new Windows Phone since mine is now essentially dead because the charging port no longer works.

Edit: Oh wait, it's not available on Verizon. Fucking idiotic Microsoft.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Edit: Oh wait, it's not available on Verizon. Fucking idiotic Microsoft.

Actually that might be more of Verizon's fault than Microsoft's.

Saw them earlier today. Jaw dropped. High end Lumia phones always kicked ass. Remember what a revolution the 920 was with OIS and amazing low light performance no phone and even some cameras couldn't match.

Right around that time HTC was bragging with the HTC One low light performance with the UltraPixel camera and the mid range Lumia 720 just destroyed it... :D

when I got my 920, I went for a walk, at 11 pm, september I think. I took a picture in full auto mode, and the result ended up brighter than what I saw. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

This is why I bought my Icon, also to try out Windows Phone, great operating system just no apps for it  :wacko:

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Actually that might be more of Verizon's fault than Microsoft's.

Either way, it's fucking stupid.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs