Microsoft Lumia 950/950XL camera is jaw dropping impressive [56K Modem Warning - Super large images]

GoodBytes

One of the reasons why I bought a Lumia 925 is that it had "a great camera"(and this was for the day, two years ago roughly). Now that I own it I just have to say meh. It takes good pictures given the right scenario(and knowledge of photography, geez this thing needs a better auto), but its not any better than other competing phones at the time. I wouldn't buy a Lumia for the camera ever again(unless if its a hybrid like the Galaxy zoom or whatever).

are you using the stock app or the lumia camera app? 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Wow, the image quality is a match of my Sony A7II. Is it possible?

Really don't think so.

Either way, it's fucking stupid.

Indeed. I woulda honestly considered the Lumia 950 if it weren't for that.

Wow, the image quality is a match of my Sony A7II. Is it possible?

Really don't think so.

Look at the restaurant picture, that is probably what you'll get in real life, being careless in your shot

You don't want Verizon in any case, they were the worst carrier for Windows Phone, blocking everything. It's like they did everything for Windows Phone to fail. As a result, Windows 10 Mobile isn't supported. It has a universal radio system which work with all modern systems for most regions, except Verizon (probably blocked on purpose)

You don't want Verizon in any case, they were the worst carrier for Windows Phone, blocking everything. It's like they did everything for Windows Phone to fail. As a result, Windows 10 Mobile isn't supported. It has a universal radio system which work with all modern systems for most regions, except Verizon (probably blocked on purpose)

My only option is Verizon, for financial reasons (I don't pay for it). All I need is internet access. I don't care about apps and shit.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Look at the restaurant picture, that is probably what you'll get in real life, being careless in your shot

I shoot quite a lot of company indoor events without using flash. I'm certain my older Sony NEX 7 could do worst with 24mm F1.8 Zeiss at ISO1600.

If the new Lumia phone can beat a APS-C sensor.....I know NEX 7 doesn't have the best low light capability. However, A7II is only one and a half stop better than NEX 7.

If those photos are authentic. It is not far from my A7II for low light.

I shoot quite a lot of company indoor events without using flash. I'm certain my older Sony NEX 7 could do worst with 24mm F1.8 Zeiss at ISO1600.

If the new Lumia phone can beat a APS-C sensor.....I know NEX 7 doesn't have the best low light capability. However, A7II is only one and a half stop better than NEX 7.

If those photos are authentic. It is no far from my A7II for low light.

I like to always assume that those shots are made with a tripod, even the restaurant one, maybe used a cup to hold steady the phone. But what I find interesting is how those professional shot images (we have to assume that even in the restaurant the photograph, who works in the camera team of Lumia, knows a thing or two about taking a proper picture taking).

If we look closely at the competing picture, which is a Galaxy S6, we can see that the image is very close to the Lumia one, just Lumia phone has better colors, and a hint less noise (which is probably filtered out by post processing)

I like to always assume that those shots are made with a tripod, even the restaurant one, maybe used a cup to hold steady the phone. But what I find interesting is how those professional shot images (we have to assume that even in the restaurant the photograph, who works in the camera team of Lumia, knows a thing or two about taking a proper picture taking).

If we look closely at the competing picture, which is a Galaxy S6, we can see that the image is very close to the Lumia one, just Lumia phone has better colors, and a hint less noise (which is probably filtered out by post processing)

The details is much worse, so is the local contrast with the S6. Look at the hair. It is a mess with the S6.

The details is much worst, so is the local contrast with the S6. Look at the hair. It is a mess with the S6.

Oh yes, now seeing it on my desktop, I do notice.

... I guess haters gotta hate. I'm currently running 920 (the faked ois ad phone) but truth be told I still feel that the ois is one of the better ones out there. It doesn't have the wierd jello effect the s6 or g4 has (the last I checked) and that's pretty good coming from a phone this "old"

Tho tbh to see people just nitpicking in this thread is both stupid and hilarous. Its like you have a bone to pick...well okay...i won't give them too much attn for this...

Anyway I cant wait to see what it can do in the real world in the hands of normal users.

Switched to android after the Lumia 920. Think I might be switching back to WP for the XL. Impressive camera, good to see that trend continuing.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

This is why I bought my Icon, also to try out Windows Phone, great operating system just no apps for it  :wacko:

I loved my windows phone, but the lack of apps caused me to defect to android. Supposedly MS have made it very easy to port iOS apps to Win 10 phones, so fingers crossed I can go back when my contract expires.

Indeed. I woulda honestly considered the Lumia 950 if it weren't for that.

Just buy through the MS store and get a Verizon sim card, I understand Verizon uses Sim cards now. I plan on doing this with T-Mobile.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just buy through the MS store and get a Verizon sim card, I understand Verizon uses Sim cards now. I plan on doing this with T-Mobile.

The "universal radio" of the Lumia 950/950XL, support all modern technologies and frequencies. But not Verizon CDMA, or LTE band (like it has been disabled on purpose). If you check Microsoft web site it states the supported bands and technologies, and Verizon is missing. For Microsoft to do this, it means that Verizon really harmed Microsoft previously.

Now, Verison doesn't care, as 'what's Windows 10 Mobile market share, right?', and for sure other OEMs will bring Windows 10 Mobile phones compatible with Verizon network. And we have to face reality, in that, Windows 10 Mobile won't be this mass success. It has important limitations that needs to be understood before purchasing, and you are buying into a promise. Also, it doesn't try to be Android where you customize it like no ones business.

The reason why the phone has hype and excitement, is that, in my opinion, we see Microsoft being serious now. We have seen the technology in action of porting Android and iOS app to Universal app being possible (with small performance degradation). Of course, forget games, those needs to be native, unless the game is very simplistic. And you have to hope that while this all nice and neat, devs needs to look into it, and actually port their stuff. Will they? The only incentive, is that the lack of app competition, will make quality app (ported apps), gain high rating, tractions, and sale better (possibly being able to increase the app price as well, which might be a reality for a while until competition grows).

WTF ??? Are these pictures even real ? I'm not an expert or anything in photography but that's impressive for a phone.

So fucking detailed like so much detail.

But like I want to wait for the test.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

WTF ??? Are these pictures even real ? I'm not an expert or anything in photography but that's impressive for a phone.

So fucking detailed like so much detail.

But like I want to wait for the test.

When you see pictures like this, always assume: tripod was used, a professional photographer with lots of experience and knowledge took the images, manual setting was used, has a deep understanding of the camera specs and how it behaves.

The reality of things will probably be like the restaurants picture if you are able to know a general knowledge in photography on how to take proper pictures, and steady hands (how to take the image).

I think the real test, is the camera on auto, taking a night picture of buildings illuminating. That picture is missing.

So we have to wait for reviews.

The "universal radio" of the Lumia 950/950XL, support all modern technologies and frequencies. But not Verizon CDMA, or LTE band (like it has been disabled on purpose). If you check Microsoft web site it states the supported bands and technologies, and Verizon is missing. For Microsoft to do this, it means that Verizon really harmed Microsoft previously.

Now, Verison doesn't care, as 'what's Windows 10 Mobile market share, right?', and for sure other OEMs will bring Windows 10 Mobile phones compatible with Verizon network. And we have to face reality, in that, Windows 10 Mobile won't be this mass success. It has important limitations that needs to be understood before purchasing, and you are buying into a promise. Also, it doesn't try to be Android where you customize it like no ones business.

The reason why the phone has hype and excitement, is that, in my opinion, we see Microsoft being serious now. We have seen the technology in action of porting Android and iOS app to Universal app being possible (with small performance degradation). Of course, forget games, those needs to be native, unless the game is very simplistic. And you have to hope that while this all nice and neat, devs needs to look into it, and actually port their stuff. Will they? The only incentive, is that the lack of app competition, will make quality app (ported apps), gain high rating, tractions, and sale better (possibly being able to increase the app price as well, which might be a reality for a while until competition grows).

I own a 925 and have owned 2 other Windows phones before that one getting to experience WP6 and up so for me it not so much a promise but known experience on a product I already enjoy. I am aware of the advantages of the OS and phone, I am not worried about the lack of popular apps. I use the phone with my job at it suits well.

But thanks for your take though. I watched Linus's take on the HTC One WP8.1 but I cant say that I agree with 100% of what he said as most his points didn't really apply to myself but I do agree with is his assessment on a whole in terms of the general public that wont make use of some of the environment that is available. Will WP10 get the job done and bridge that gap? I honestly hope so but I hold reservations but as for myself, I am pretty sure I will thoroughly enjoy the phone.

*edit

Oh forgot, it slipped my mind about Verizons fallout with MS. Verizon suck any how so thats why I have T-mobile, not as good as coverage but I don't have to deal with Verizon, Tmobile has not treated me bad in the 13 years ive been a customer.  :D

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Verizon are huge dicks to everyone. They are not out to harm Microsoft specifically. Can't remember which Nexus device it was but Verizon ruined one as well, so now Google are pretty pissed at them too.

Verizon is just a really shitty company in general.

That is a really impressive camera indeed. If I wasn't told otherwise, I could have sworn that the photos in the OP was taken with professional cameras and not phone cameras.

Wow, how far have mobile phone cameras came. I still remember the first camera phones having terrible quality even worse than some of the cheapest point-and-shoots; now, camera phones can not only replace point-and-shoots, but even dedicated DSLR cameras in some cases.