Microsoft Lumia 950/950XL camera is jaw dropping impressive [56K Modem Warning - Super large images]

GoodBytes

now, camera phones can not only replace point-and-shoots, but even dedicated DSLR cameras in some cases.

I highly doubt that will ever be the case. They most likely never will. Even if they manage to match the quality (which I am almost certain this phone has not), you still have to remember that DSLRs are far more flexible since you can change lenses on them.

the camera on my phone is alright ish. (Nokia icon)

The Nokia Icon for being 1.6 years old still stacks up very well to other phones. 20 mp and it looks good. Not the fastest focus but best low light still in a smart phone. Records audio pretty well for a phone.

One of the reasons why I bought a Lumia 925 is that it had "a great camera"(and this was for the day, two years ago roughly). Now that I own it I just have to say meh. It takes good pictures given the right scenario(and knowledge of photography, geez this thing needs a better auto), but its not any better than other competing phones at the time. I wouldn't buy a Lumia for the camera ever again(unless if its a hybrid like the Galaxy zoom or whatever).

The lumia 925  is a variation of the lumia 920 and the 920 came out November 2, 2012. Back then, it was one of the best smart phone cameras. No other phone had as good of low light. It's 3 years old now and there are quite a few phones that beat it now.

Hey, remember when Nokia were caught lying in their Lumia 920 commercial? If you don't, here is a refresher.

Don't trust ad material. These photos might be real, and they might be complete bullshit. Even if they are real you should not use them to judge the camera quality. Wait for proper reviews before you make your mind up.

The photos looks very good but so do pretty much all the sample photos. They almost always have very good lighting, takes multiple shots and pick the best one and then tweaks the RAW until it's as good as it can get.

But with that being said, Nokia phones usually got very good cameras. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the competition which has put a lot of attention on their cameras for the past few generations.

Edit 1:

For those of you wondering, the EXIF says that the "competitor" is a Galaxy S 6. ISO was set to 1000 on both. The S6 had a shutter speed of 1/10 seconds and the Lumia had a shutter speed of 1/7 seconds (again, according to the EXIF).

I have to give them minus points for making the girl smile in the Lumia photo and look bored in the Galaxy's photo. That's like the oldest trick in the book.

Edit 2:

Wait a minute... The Galaxy S6 photo is 2988x3984. That's 12 megapixels. The maximum resolution of the S6 is 2988x5312 (16MP).

The 950 photo is 3744x4992. That's 18.7 megapixels. The maximum resolution of the 950 is 20 megapixels (don't know exact resolution).

My guess is that they took the photos and then cropped them so that the framing were as close as possible, but it's a bit dishonest. If that's what they did, did they intentionally compress the S6's image more as well? Because there is a huge difference in file size (3.8MB vs 7MB).

Not going to accuse them of anything, but you should definitely not trust this comparison. Wait for independent reviews.

That's some interesting stuff. I wish they told us the settings and we could see how they took the photos. But, if it was pretty fair and settings were on auto for those restaurant pics on both phones then that is interesting.

That's some interesting stuff. I wish they told us the settings and we could see how they took the photos. But, if it was pretty fair or settings were on auto then that is interesting.

The nice images, you can bet it was set on manual, with a professional, experienced, photographer. The idea of these shots, like all other phones, is to showcase the best. Tripod most likely used.

The restaurant one is probably taken as auto, with a person that knows how to take pictures (I mean the guy works in the camera team, so you can sure bet he knows how to take a picture and position his hands for max stability).

That's stunning. The picture of the plant made my jaw drop tbh. Seriously considering a Lumia 950/XL as my next phone...

COMIC SANS

Irrelevant. 

What matters is does it take good selfies on the front camera?

I mean that's all that really matters. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Looks pretty good :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Anyone interested in a Nikon D80 DSLR camera and lenses?  I need to buy a Lumia phone.

The nice images, you can bet it was set on manual, with a professional, experienced, photographer. The idea of these shots, like all other phones, is to showcase the best. Tripod most likely used.

The restaurant one is probably taken as auto, with a person that knows how to take pictures (I mean the guy works in the camera team, so you can sure bet he knows how to take a picture and position his hands for max stability).

Yea, of course the other ones were done manually. I was talking about the restaurant ones.

There are people like @LAwLz who don't trust what people say though and need proof of everything before accepting something as little as two camera phones being taken with same settings and same distances. It's also not a bad idea to get all the info as well.

Holy mother of......I might just be getting a new Windows Phone since mine is now essentially dead because the charging port no longer works.

Edit: Oh wait, it's not available on Verizon. Fucking idiotic Microsoft.

Verizon isn't supporting the phone.

Verizon isn't supporting the phone.

Whoever's fault it is, they suck.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This needs to be my next phone. I am falling in love with it. I want the XL, but its pricy.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I wonder if the Lumia experience will still be hobbled down by poor UI and speed.

There are people like @LAwLz who don't trust what people say though and need proof of everything before accepting something as little as two camera phones being taken with same settings and same distances. It's also not a bad idea to get all the info as well.

Can you really blame me? I think being skeptical of marketing material is something everyone should be. Especially towards a brand that has been caught lying in their marketing material before, pretending that a clip was shot with their phone when it was actually shot with a DSLR (and they made a public apology and took the video down afterwards).

I don't think they are doing that this time, but you should never trust comparisons made by the company itself. Wait for independent reviews.

What I want to know:

Are there official apps for

1. twitter

2. facebook

3. youtube

4. instagram

5. google maps

6. snapchat

7. netflix

8. Amazon video

9. my cloud (WD)

10. play movies (google)

11. sling

12. twitch

13. vlc

anybody know the answer for any of these?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

What I want to know:

1. twitter - yes

2. facebook - yes

3. youtube - no, it google

4. instagram - yes

5. google maps - no, its google

6. snapchat - no, but Rudy Huyn has 3rd party one up on the store

7. netflix - yes

8. Amazon video - no

9. my cloud (WD) - yes, WD2go

10. play movies (google) - no, it's google

11. sling - yes

12. twitch - no, shit ton of 3rd party ones though

13. vlc - possibly? there's one made by Adarsh Urs that does everything from what I can tell.

fyi, google will never make official apps for Windows phone, they've stated as much.

and you know you could always go looking in the appstore yourself if you even wanted to know https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/windows-phone

1. twitter

2. facebook

3. youtube

4. instagram  (Not sure if this is official since it doesn't appear on their website)

5. google maps

6. snapchat

7. netflix

8. Amazon video

9. my cloud (WD)

10. play movies (google)

11. sling (Not sure if this is official)

12. twitch

13. vlc

Those were the ones I could find. Two things I noticed when I looked for them were:

1) I can't find any way to see if it's the official app or not. On for example the Google Play store there are symbols like "Top Developer". With the huge amount of scam apps on the Windows Phone app store, it would be nice if they could add badges to good developers.

2) There are a ton of negative reviews on a lot of the apps. Lots of people complaining that they don't work properly or are missing functionality.

There seem to be third party apps for some of the things such as Twitch but some are of questionable quality and/or paid. Some seem good though.

Can you really blame me? I think being skeptical of marketing material is something everyone should be. Especially towards a brand that has been caught lying in their marketing material before, pretending that a clip was shot with their phone when it was actually shot with a DSLR (and they made a public apology and took the video down afterwards).

I don't think they are doing that this time, but you should never trust comparisons made by the company itself. Wait for independent reviews.

Wasn't saying it was necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it can be over done but questioning things like authority or a review is good. The truth is empowering.

~snip~

wow, that's not very good.

Looks like the facebook app was actually published my microsoft themselves...

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

What I want to know:

1. twitter

2. facebook

3. youtube

4. instagram

5. google maps

6. snapchat

7. netflix

8. Amazon video

9. my cloud (WD)

10. play movies (google)

11. sling

12. twitch

13. vlc

Mobile browser bookmark would work for most of those no?  Hardly need an app to just launch your browser to a particular page.  Functionality wise...meh... Probably not as good as it could otherwise be with an actual app.

Mobile browser bookmark would work for most of those no?  Hardly need an app to just launch your browser to a particular page.  Functionality wise...meh... Probably not as good as it could otherwise be with an actual app.

I wouldn't mind that solution. Things missing would be My Cloud, Snapchat and Sling.

But for this solution to work there needs to be a chrome app.... Chrome and Safari are the only mobile browsers I would ever use to log into anything.

Seems like we can never have our cake and eat it too...

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I wouldn't mind that solution. Things missing would be My Cloud, Snapchat and Sling.

But for this solution to work there needs to be a chrome app.... Chrome and Safari are the only mobile browsers I would ever use to log into anything.

Seems like we can never have our cake and eat it too...

Edge is a very solid web browser. What I mean, is that Edge is a universal app, and the experience that you have on the desktop with it, is the same as your phone, unlike (at least what I am told) Chrome which are 2 distinct web browser, just sharing the same name, and hence sites don't work well with the mobile web browser, and people prefer to use apps instead.

Can anyone who is into photography say something about this photos?