CEO of Seagate: Nobody uses SSDs for storage

Deletive

Sensible yes. But my entire build isn't sensible! ;)

Edit

Bigger numbers = m0ar e-pen0r

I guess, but I don't know if I'd feel safe with up to 5TB of data whose life-span is until an SSD dies or a file gets corrupted and propagated through the array (I think that a RAID5 would correct the corrupted file from the redundant data but I'm not sure) :)

When I get the new PC, I'm going for only-SSD internal drives; any long-term storage goes on a NAS. I'll probably snag the SSDs from this build and then the 2 TB Caviar Black can become its system drive when it gets "inherited" by a friend or brother.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

He's right. The cost of using an SSD for mass storage is a huge barrier to its feasibility. A 6TB HDD is about £100 cheaper than a 1TB SSD. Add to that that when one does fail it's much easier to retrieve data from a HDD making them more sensible as backup media.

When I upgraded to Win 10 I backed up everything I would be annoyed if I lost and I realised literally none of it came from my SSD. It's why I am so comfortable using two SSDs in a JBOD array (and would be Raid 0 if they were the same capacity), because actually reinstalling an OS and the applications on it isn't that laborious given all of my actual data is on a HDD.

He's right. The cost of using an SSD for mass storage is a huge barrier to its feasibility. A 6TB HDD is about £100 cheaper than a 1TB SSD. Add to that that when one does fail it's much easier to retrieve data from a HDD making them more sensible as backup media.

When I upgraded to Win 10 I backed up everything I would be annoyed if I lost and I realised literally none of it came from my SSD. It's why I am so comfortable using two SSDs in a JBOD array (and would be Raid 0 if they were the same capacity), because actually reinstalling an OS and the applications on it isn't that laborious given all of my actual data is on a HDD.

Most users do not need mass storage for my above aforementioned reasons.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Most users do not need mass storage for my above aforementioned reasons.

You are not most users. Most users can't just remove and retrieve all of their work on a whim like you do games. Most users have an arse-tonne of pictures and stuff on their HDDs. Probably home videos as well.

Most people very much need mass storage.

You are not most users. Most users can't just remove and retrieve all of their work on a whim like you do games.

I'd argue the opposite though: most users are actually

1) On mobile devices and such like tablets, mobile phones, smart tvs. Very little storage, literally no mechanicals at all.

2) Even more heavily reliant on streaming service with itunes, netflix, hulu, and such being extremely popular nowadays

3) More likely to game simple games that require little to no storage due to being server based and such

PC gamers like me are still a niche audience vs the massive amounts of kids and teens on cellphones and moms and dads on tablets and Netflix.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'd argue the opposite though: most users are actually

1) On mobile devices and such like tablets, mobile phones, smart tvs. Very little storage, literally no mechanicals at all.

2) Even more heavily reliant on streaming service with itunes, netflix, hulu, and such being extremely popular nowadays

3) More likely to game simple games that require little to no storage due to being server based and such

PC gamers like me are still a niche audience vs the massive amounts of kids and teens on cellphones and moms and dads on tablets and Netflix.

No, most people have laptops that they have a bunch of stuff on. You might believe the bullshit about no one using PCs anymore but that doesn't make it true.

Netflix and Hulu don't change anything? Like at all. They replace optical media that was never stored anyway.

Also you're not addressing the idea that a PC isn't only a glorified games console. Most people use them for their jobs, and most people have a decent amount of data associated with their work.

Like I said, it's grand that you don't need a HDD. Sales indicate that you are the minority here.

Just wait when SSDs prices get down more on to HDD level. Cause I can't imagine even for storage having a slow HDD that is 100TB cause by that SSDs will be cheap.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It's kinda true now. Almost nobody used SSDs to store media...

But it's a matter of time.. The performance benefits are just too great. Even in the server world SSDs allow you to lookup and filter through large amounts of data so much quicker.

ssds still have that problem though. like if no power for 3 months ish data is lost.

I'm only using my ssd's for storage. 512gb m.2 and 256gb sata ssd.

I have a 2tb hdd in my comp but I'm not sure I'll actually need to use it other than for possibly movies. My next computer will 100% not have a hdd.1.2tb ssd already means by the time i get a new comp we'll have affordable 4tb ssd's IMO.

Lolwat?

My 500GB SSD in the laptop is also a storage drive for nearly 300GB of photos, similarly on my desktop which has 600GB of photos on its SSD. Lightroom loves being able to read off a SSD. SSDs are the way of the future, stop the crying Seagate and start making cheap SSDs to take over your HDD business. 

There is no one that is using SSDs for storage

Wtf are SSDs for then? No matter what you've got on there, it's being used for storage... 

Lolwat?

My 500GB SSD in the laptop is also a storage drive for nearly 300GB of photos, similarly on my desktop which has 600GB of photos on its SSD. Lightroom loves being able to read off a SSD. SSDs are the way of the future, stop the crying Seagate and start making cheap SSDs to take over your HDD business.

They are already making SSDs, but nobody buys them because Samsung And Crucial have better products

Next time I buy some storage, I'm going to go with an SSD just to prove him wrong. Even if I don't get as much storage as I would like (not that it matters, just going to be for games anyways)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Tablets, phones, ultrabooks (and then all the sensical desktop users)....

How much you wanna bet flash/nand memory already sells 100x the total memory size of mechanical drives each year...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

But--why would I want an HDD, Mr. CEO?  It's hot, loud, and slow.  I need my 1.5tb game library to load in a blink of an eye :>

I completely replaced my HDD with a 500GB SSD and never want to go back. It's faster by a large margin and completely silent.

I feel mechanical drives will be around and relevant for a long time. They are just so cheap for a lot of storage and the technology of mechanical disks has been around for like ever so its trusted. Plus who knows when SSD's will catch up in capacity and when price will become more competitive. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I heard this "SSDs prices are going down" that I grew tired of it - nothing went down but prices for very old SSDs that various vendors still have in stock

decent SSDs, looking at capacity, are still expensive

here,  ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GB is about the same price as a 2Tb HDD

CEO of seacrap should focus on fixing their failure rate of hard-drives instead of saying dumb things like theses, 

SSD's aren't used for storage in business because it's too risky. 
In the case of a mechanical drive if something fails, you can still send it off for recovery. The magnetic platters retain thier data. 

For an SSD, if a chip fials, ALL THE DATA IS GONE FOREVER. 

For this reason, SSD's are not likely to take over as a storage medim in data centers. They are used for acceleration, but not long term storage. 

haha that's funny.

Technically anyone who has an SSD and has at least 1 bit of data saved on it is using it for storage, so yeah, based off that I use mine for storage, I've only got around 100GB of my 250GB SSD left. (Some games on it, OS on it, bunch of programs and files)

In the case of a mechanical drive if something fails, you can still send it off for recovery. The magnetic platters retain thier data. 

For this reason, SSD's are not likely to take over as a storage medim in data centers. They are used for acceleration, but not long term storage. 

These forums are running off of SSDs, so they kinda are being used for storage in business :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Businesses and data centers are not in the habit of painstakingly going through dead drives to salvage data. Drive failures are a fact of life and any IT department has multiple contingencies in place to deal with it in critical systems

-RAID arrays

-backups (near real time disaster recover systems or simply scheduled remote data backups)

etc

haha that's funny.

Technically anyone who has an SSD and has at least 1 bit of data saved on it is using it for storage, so yeah, based off that I use mine for storage, I've only got around 100GB of my 250GB SSD left. (Some games on it, OS on it, bunch of programs and files)

These forums are running off of SSDs, so they kinda are being used for storage in business :P

Well if they go bad, then bye bye LTT.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

idk. kinda true for me. i don't see myself owning an ssd anytime soon. i'll stick to trusty old hdds.

Also, stick to trusty old CRT monitors and windows XP please.

Well if they go bad, then bye bye LTT.

I'm sure they have plenty of backup drives lol

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W