CEO of Seagate: Nobody uses SSDs for storage

Deletive

"Nobody uses SSD's..." 

Sure... Except for more than a few ultrabooks, macbooks, and enthusiast systems.  If SSDs are so rare... why did seagate spend R&D money on their hybrid drives?  

Seriously... trying to deny a new technology as "we think no one will buy into it" is a business model that has, and will bite everyone in the ass.  Happened with small cars during the 1970s, Nokia vs. Apple, several other predictions that not only proved wrong, but catastrophically so.

While I will not phase out a spinny drive anytime soon, my next rig will have a system SSD for fast boot times. 

idk. kinda true for me. i don't see myself owning an ssd anytime soon. i'll stick to trusty old hdds.

Because who likes fast computers amirite? Got my 120GB corsair in 2012, never looked back since. Seriously an SSD is a must for OS and software.

Quick!

Plug the hole in out slowly sinking business model! 

RrfwnlI.gif

Yup pretty much. Does Seagate even have an SSD department? If no, that along with their shitty drives, will be the end of them in 10 years (and probably insignificant in 5).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I ran my system with a 120GB SSD (Vertex 2) and a 480GB (Vertex 3) for a few months. Fastest I've ever seen shit load. If I can I'll probably do it again soon.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Accept when you ghetto build with computers that are from the mid 00's 

Except or Accept?

I know not everyone will be doing this but I would straight up.

I use a WD 4TB Black for mass storage at the moment but I would ditch it in a heart beat if I could get an SSD of the same size for double to triple what the HDD is worth

I agree. With HDDs, you just can't beat the price for how much space you get. And plus, when it fails, at least you can hear it when it fails. Try doing that with an SSD. It won't tell you audibly when it fails.

Look above to my comment about the ability to recover failed HDDs, that's where this argument lies as well. I have some experience with HDD data recovery myself, it's very expensive to get done professionally, and it's a very specialized thing to learn, but at least there's a chance. 

Though I've had drives go from great to dipped needles grinding in about 2 seconds. Ever owned toshiba laptop drives? 

And laptops. That's important to never use HDDs in when it's practical. Drops, even little shit like moist air from a nearby shower kill hdds. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I use SSD for storage, i have a 160GB X-25M that is slow AF and not worth it as a OS drive.

I just use it to hold GTA 5 and movies.

But again, statement seems stupid.

So you think people use the for what? Coasters? What a dumb statement.

I use them as mirrors. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Quick!

Plug the hole in our slowly sinking business model!

Seagate sells SSDs, so...

And yea, seagate still has higher prices on their disks than pretty much everyone else, meaning that most likely people who are savy are going to get a cheaper disk that performs just as well.

Oh well, it'll be a shame if seagate gets dropped from the market, WD would almost certainly start a monopoly :(

Seagate is generally considerably cheaper than WD.

Except or Accept?

I know not everyone will be doing this but I would straight up.

I use a WD 4TB Black for mass storage at the moment but I would ditch it in a heart beat if I could get an SSD of the same size for double to triple what the HDD is worth

Yes Except, I'll fix That now.

And I do make temporary Ghetto computers because they are fun to make. 

I would ditch my HDD's on my current computer quickly too, but i wouldn't replace the hdd's on 10-15 computers from the mid 00's

i've had 13 year old hard drives run to this day 24/7.

nope. speaking the whole truth.

Speaking from my own experience I've had 3 HDD fail on me. One was in my PS3 that I had for 7 years and had all my saves and no backups. It literally devastated me so badly I gave up on console gaming.

Hope your luck keeps up man, it can be so frustrating when it goes bad.

Because who likes fast computers amirite? Got my 120GB corsair in 2012, never looked back since. Seriously an SSD is a must for OS and software.

Yup pretty much. Does Seagate even have an SSD department? If no, that along with their shitty drives, will be the end of them in 10 years (and probably insignificant in 5).

They do, but they don't make the flash chips. Or the controller. And their drives are not shitty. If anything, they're better than WD for better prices

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Meanwhile, I'm here still trying to get enough money for an SSD

The sell terrible SSDs that no one buys and a few enterprise extreme speed options. All I know s they didn't invest in SSDs the way they should have/early enough

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Speaking from my own experience I've had 3 HDD fail on me. One was in my PS3 that I had for 7 years and had all my saves and no backups. It literally devastated me so badly I gave up on console gaming.

Hope your luck keeps up man, it can be so frustrating when it goes bad.

they're just NAS for little things, like SNES games, old games,etc. I don't store anything important on it.

The sell terrible SSDs that no one buys and a few enterprise extreme speed options. All I know s they didn't invest in SSDs the way they should have/early enough

They're not terrible.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

i've had 13 year old hard drives run to this day 24/7.

nope. speaking the whole truth.

Sample size is small. Hard drives are more likely to fail due to mechanical parts versus flash in SSDs. Furthermore, you haven't been able to properly test SSDs versus hard drives(neither have I).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yes Except, I'll fix That now.

And I do make temporary Ghetto computers because they are fun to make. 

I would ditch my HDD's on my current computer quickly too, but i wouldn't replace the hdd's on 10-15 computers from the mid 00's

Yeah I wouldn't be doing that either on that many PCs. I'll never look back at HDD for boot drives ever again. It pains me whenever I have to use one now, they just make the system slow and unresponsive.

Hmm ghetto building, makes me want to grab my old LGA 775 Q6400 and see if I have enough stuff lying around to build a decent PC

Sample size is small. Hard drives are more likely to fail due to mechanical parts versus flash in SSDs. Furthermore, you haven't been able to properly test SSDs versus hard drives(neither have I).

I agree, and that kind of blind trust is what leads people to getting mad at me when I can do nothing about all of their shit on one failed hdd. 

Even raid 5 and 6 arrays can be really messy with system failures if the controller isn't designed to cache certain write operations.

Oh, and these larger drives tend to really like to fail during a rebuild, so much so that sometime in the future double parity won't be enough. 

People act like they can throw shit on a raid 6 array and have that be the only cost of storage. 

You need primary array + offsite/cold backup at least. 

Yea, 10 4TB drives in raid 6 will give you 32TB of storage, low cost per GB, but you almost have to double the drives cost- you'll need 8 more drives to backup on for effective secure data. 

Plus given the speed of HHDs, that backup operation is slow, and if you do it full speed, you pretty much take the box offline, even at lower priority, because of the way the read/write heads work still makes a huge response time impact. 

So no, HHDs are not cheap or ideal in any way like people think. It's just the best we've got atm. Storage is today's most important bottleneck. 

I see a future when SSDs that are much durable than HDDs write abuse wise (it'll happen, it already is happening) won't often fail during a rebuild and can still give you a small chunk of data in a few milliseconds even while doing something else, like a complete backup. Medium-Sort Large storage servers are gonna change big time as SSDs improve....well they are already changing I guess. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Just did some quick browsing on Newegg (US).

1TB SSDs start at about $330 with the more well known brands starting around $400

Compare that to HDDs where you could get about 6-7 1TB HDDs for the starting price of the single SSD meaning you could have 5-6 redundant copies or just that much more space.

Alternatively you could get a couple 4TB HDDs if you didn't have the physical space for half a dozen HDDs for about the same price of the SSD.

they're just NAS for little things, like SNES games, old games,etc. I don't store anything important on it.

Yeah I learn't my lesson there the hard way. Now I either have 2 or 3 copies of all my most valuable files

Yeah I wouldn't be doing that either on that many PCs. I'll never look back at HDD for boot drives ever again. It pains me whenever I have to use one now, they just make the system slow and unresponsive.

Hmm ghetto building, makes me want to grab my old LGA 775 Q6400 and see if I have enough stuff lying around to build a decent PC

I am currently working on a LGA 775 Pentium Dual Core E5200 (Got for free)

and a Radeon X300se

and an Intel desktop board w/ 2GB's of ram

2 80GB IDE HDD

1 SATA DVD Burner.

AND A DESK ORGANISER!!!!

Seagate is generally considerably cheaper than WD.

Didn't say it wasnt. Hitachi sells drives much cheaper than seagate, and often, there is almost no difference in performance.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Didn't say it wasnt. Hitachi sells drives much cheaper than seagate, and often, there is almost no difference in performance.

But hitachi drives are more likely to fail. Or was it Toshiba?

I do! I only have a single SSD in my computer, I will not buy a HDD ever again.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Just did some quick browsing on Newegg (US).

1TB SSDs start at about $330 with the more well known brands starting around $400

Compare that to HDDs where you could get about 6-7 1TB HDDs for the starting price of the single SSD meaning you could have 5-6 redundant copies or just that much more space.

Alternatively you could get a couple 4TB HDDs if you didn't have the physical space for half a dozen HDDs for about the same price of the SSD.

HDD capacity is not improving much, they have to use shit like helium to make them work, and prices are falling very slowly compared to the past. 

Meanwhile SSDs....

muh specs 

All parts black