CEO of Seagate: Nobody uses SSDs for storage

Deletive

I'm not quite ready to go full ssd just yet. I use them without hesitation for data I can easily reinstall if there is a failure, such as the os, and most of my frequently used programs. But I still use hdd's for mass storage of things I don't want to lose. Hdd recovery is a little easier than ssd recovery at the moment.

With the 3d nand technology on the horizon, high capacity ssds are coming, we could see upwards of 10tb

Samsung's SSD's already uses 3D nand. It's ridiculous to see their 2TB SSD, where the PCB doesn't even fill out the inside of the 2.5" drive. I'm sure Samsung could make a 10TB drive right now. It just isn't economical to do so yet.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Samsung's SSD's already uses 3D nand. It's ridiculous to see their 2TB SSD, where the PCB doesn't even fill out the inside of the 2.5" drive. I'm sure Samsung could make a 10TB drive right now. It just isn't economical to do so yet.

Yeah but what can we do :)

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Uh huh.

So you're going to trust a technology capable of failing at any time instead of a technology that you know exactly when it will fail?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Oh you mean you'll use that trusty delicate platter spinning at 7200 rpm with a needle nanometers above it when SSDs become cheaper?

I have a coaster set from failed HDD platters. 

Yup, those same old platters that have been spinning without problems for the past 10+ years in some of the drives I've had.

I mean sure, when SSD become cheaper it would be dumb not to have one, but you can't beat the price per GB of HDD.

Seagate's CEO claim that "nobody" uses SDD for storage is dumb though.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I heard this "SSDs prices are going down" that I grew tired of it - nothing went down but prices for very old SSDs that various vendors still have in stock

decent SSDs, looking at capacity, are still expensive

here,  ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GB is about the same price as a 2Tb HDD

That's not true. SSDs have been getting steadily cheaper. Today, 33 cents per GB is a good rule of thumb. Last year it was around 50 cents per GB. The year before it was around 75.

So you're going to trust a technology capable of failing at any time instead of a technology that you know exactly when it will fail?

Yes actually. At least I know i can spot a failing drive just by listening to it.

That's not true. SSDs have been getting steadily cheaper. Today, 33 cents per GB is a good rule of thumb. Last year it was around 50 cents per GB. The year before it was around 75.

But i don't think it's gonna come close to HDDs any time soon. 1.5 cents per GB.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

in North America, maybe .. here, not so - and let's not include the discounts

comparing that cost per Gb to the cost of GB for HDDs .. doesn't even come close - 0.08$ / Gb

I use them as storage in my laptop but until 500gb adds are 120 or less no need to use them in my desktop as storage

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Western Digital is now the GameStop of storage.

ftfy

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Why are people talking about HDDs like they are super reliable? They are not. Anybody in IT knows that they fail all the time. For important systems You take remote backups. And you have RAID arrays.

All 3 of the desktops in my house use SSD's only.  My GF has a 512GB SSD, mine just to upgraded to 1TB and my dad's HP 8300 Ultra Slim has a 256GB SSD in it.

Intel Core I7-4790K 4.5GHz 1.225V, NZXT Kraken x60 AIO Cooler, EVGA Z97 FTW Board, Kingston Fury 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram, EVGA GTX 980 TI SC+ ACX GPU, Corsair Air 540 Case w/ 3x120MM & 3x140MM Cougar Red LED Fans, EVGA G1 650W 80+ Gold PSU, Crucial MX100 512GB SSD, Samsung UD590 4k 60Hz Monitor

Maybe when SSD's get cheaper and don't die out as easily. Maybe then I'll use them. Or I'll pick up  a cheap SSD and place my OS on it.

When's the last time you saw a SSD die?

I currently don't own an SSD, but I will soon...  Cyber Monday will roll around, and my system will see some new hardware added to it.  Maybe a m.2 HyperX predator?  I dunno.  We will see.  

These forums are running off of SSDs, so they kinda are being used for storage in business :P

To be fair, LTT is more known for doing things because they are cool, not because they are practical, safe, smart or affordable to others.

I think the tag line for LTT should be "Do as we say, not as we do (and often not as we say, either)".

When's the last time you saw a SSD die?

Meh I just find them a tad bit expensive. For the lack of space.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Give it another 5 years and 1TB SSD's will be 50 bucks. 

gallery_62868_1880_22942.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

seagate_Logo.png

This might be true for now but I think this percentage will change dramatically in the next 5 years. Especially with PCI-E and m.2

hdd_tam_estimates.png

I think this statement is a little bit true with the dropping prices of SSD's of all sizes and many more companies entering the space at all ends, it won't be soon because hard drives sales start dropping even more. SSD's in the business space offer a lot more usability in Data servers and the server space as data is often moved around, accessed and everything which is where I don't think HDD's can keep up.

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/hard-drives/anton-shilov/ceo-of-seagate-nobody-uses-ssds-for-storage/

To be honest when it comes to mass storage people need a good price to data ratio and Hard Drives do that. I have Terabytes worth of of photos and videos and it is growing at a massive speed especially now I have a 4K video camera. To store that lot on SSD's would be stupid. It's already costing me enough on hard drives.

Guys, they said for storage. When was the last time you saw someonre storing terbytes of pictures/movies/programs on ssds? Because I haven't seen one yet. I love ssds as much as the next guy, but they're really expensive compared to hard drives right now. Everyone keeps talking about dropping prices, and yes the prices are dropping pretty fast, but it's still a $300 difference between a 1TB hdd and a 1TB ssd, and the gap only gets bigger as you go up in size. It'll be quite a while before ssds become an actual option for mass storage if you're not willing to throw away lots of money.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Maybe when SSD's get cheaper and don't die out as easily. Maybe then I'll use them. Or I'll pick up  a cheap SSD and place my OS on it.

SSD's have a much longer lifespan than you think.

It's absolutely worth it for an OS drive.  ~4 years ago I bought some $100 40 GB SSD solely for windows and haven't looked back.

These days you can get 500 GB for $150-200 which isn't too shabby.  It's enough for most casual users, and ideal for laptops.

Guys, they said for storage. When was the last time you saw someonre storing terbytes of pictures/movies/programs on ssds? Because I haven't seen one yet. I love ssds as much as the next guy, but they're really expensive compared to hard drives right now. Everyone keeps talking about dropping prices, and yes the prices are dropping pretty fast, but it's still a $300 difference between a 1TB hdd and a 1TB ssd, and the gap only gets bigger as you go up in size. It'll be quite a while before ssds become an actual option for mass storage if you're not willing to throw away lots of money.

Quite frankly, I think HDD's will always be around for storage.  Much like how video tapes are still used for a lot of applications like security footage.  

I think most users will fully transition to SSD's though in the next few years except for power users.  Prebuilts will have some 500 GB- 1 TB SSD and that will satisfy most people.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

@sgloux3470

that's the point am not willing to spend 100-120$ for 512 GB of storage. I rather get a 1TB 7200RPM for fraction of the cost. I mean I would grab a nice 60 GB one just for my OS and simple things for like 50 bucks but nothing larger.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

SSD's have a much longer lifespan than you think.

It's absolutely worth it for an OS drive.  ~4 years ago I bought some $100 40 GB SSD solely for windows and haven't looked back.

These days you can get 500 GB for $150-200 which isn't too shabby.  It's enough for most casual users, and ideal for laptops.

Quite frankly, I think HDD's will always be around for storage.  Much like how video tapes are still used for a lot of applications like security footage.  

I think most users will fully transition to SSD's though in the next few years except for power users.  Prebuilts will have some 500 GB- 1 TB SSD and that will satisfy most people.

While HDD may be around for quite a while yet, they all look the same and no longer have the unique and attractive designs which older HDD with better overall build quality had. Eg:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hard-Disk-Drive-IDE-Samsung-SpinPoint-SP2001H-20GB-Rev-A-PUMA20-2002-07-/131052214398 (I know its on Ebay, but I'm looking at buying that one to replace my one with its damaged IDE connector-my slower version the SV2001H is still good however)

http://www.a1usedcomputers.com.au/shop/prodView.asp?idproduct=2477

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-Caviar-280-vintage-85-3MB-IDE-hard-drive-WD-AC280-/151539875299 (I've got one except its got  no bad blocks or mechanical faults-its good as new after all these years of use)

http://redhill.net.au/d/110.php (And yes it  is slower than as advertised by Seagate, but they are reliable)

No HDD speaks pimp my PC more than older ones with the labels removed. Newer HDD just don't look as good on display as an SSD or their predecessors..

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL