CEO of Seagate: Nobody uses SSDs for storage

Deletive

If you really believe that you're quite naive.

No, you just don't understand the basic concept here. You're not connecting to the shops and checking their prices. The pcpartpicker server connects to the sites and scans all their prices, and then puts that into a database. Then you access that database. At worst, all you'd see is the effect of tracking on the pcpartpicker server.

No, you just don't understand the basic concept here. You're not connecting to the shops and checking their prices. The pcpartpicker server connects to the sites and scans all their prices, and then puts that into a database. Then you access that database. At worst, all you'd see is the effect of tracking on the pcpartpicker server.

No, because pcpartpicker is checking your credentials too and then using them when it comes queries the online shops. If you think PPP isn't getting kickbacks whenever you link to a store from them, you don't understand the game.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No, because pcpartpicker is checking your credentials too and then using them when it comes queries the online shops. If you think PPP isn't getting kickbacks whenever you link to a store from them, you don't understand the game.

You still don't understand how pcpartpicker works. It doesn't query the stores for the prices of the products you're viewing as you're scrolling around, it has done all those queries in advance. You're just looking through the results that are stored on pcpartpicker's server. Once you then click through to a store, then pcpartpicker can tell that store who referred you, and get a kickback if you buy the product.

You still don't understand how pcpartpicker works. It doesn't query the stores for the prices of the products you're viewing as you're scrolling around, it has done all those queries in advance. You're just looking through the results that are stored on pcpartpicker's server. Once you then click through to a store, then pcpartpicker can tell that store who referred you, and get a kickback if you buy the product.

It queries results every single minute. It combines your credentials with that information to present you prices based on your predicted desire to pay.

You can see the front end of it quite readily in the source of the HTML page if you use your chrome development tools.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It queries results every single minute. It combines your credentials with that information to present you prices based on your predicted desire to pay.

You can see the front end of it quite readily in the source of the HTML page if you use your chrome development tools.

Stop lying.

idk. kinda true for me. i don't see myself owning an ssd anytime soon. i'll stick to trusty old hdds.

We've known mechanical storage is NOT trusty for archival uses for a long freaking time, it's why a lot of companies still have tape machines for backup purposes. If you want reliable, you go tape! If you want cheap and lots of it, you go mechanical  :P

Stop lying.

Don't have to because I never started. Targeted pricing is used all over the place. If you think it isn't on pcpartpicker you are very naive.

I store 100% of my files on my RAID array, pls

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

We've known mechanical storage is NOT trusty for archival uses for a long freaking time, it's why a lot of companies still have tape machines for backup purposes. If you want reliable, you go tape! If you want cheap and lots of it, you go mechanical  :P

The highschool I went to relied on tape backup for their servers (which were around 20TB for Windows machines, 10TB for OSX), with a 40TB backup server to act as a stand in if the other 2 needed repairs and were getting data transfered back onto them from the tapes (they wanted to minimise the use of the emergency server).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Completely false: All phones use flash storage which makes most computing devices' storage flash-based.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock