CEO of Seagate: Nobody uses SSDs for storage

Deletive

The Lexus SC430 was the last car to ever come standard with a tape player (oh wait, it was cassette, but still same technology).

wow - wow - wow! hold on a sec! Tapes and cassettes are NOT the same thing?

yah large capacity data archiving was what I was referring to

lol sony announced 185TB tapes, have fun finding stuff on that. Oh dear lord I just thought about how you would index that... I'd rather have all that info tatooed on my arm!

I can agree with that statement mostly. If you think about it, most computer that exist in the world are for businesses and non-personal use. How many office computers have you used that even had any solid storage? They need to think about what they sell, and what their largest customer base is. Prices for SSDs will have to come down a lot for people to use them for all PC storage

Exactly.

He's not really talking to, or about most of the people commenting on this thread.  He's talking about the bulk of his business, which is enterprise level stuff.  But not even actual in office PCs - what he's talking about is the data storage for the systems that all those office PCs are connected to.

Right now the cost efficiency of spinning platter is still better than SSDs, but that is going to change very soon.  And not because the cost of SSDs needs to drop that much, but because the total cost of operating a server farm also include things like physical space, heat generation/cooling, and total power consumption, all of which SSDs win at hands down.  

Honestly I'd be willing to buy two 500GB SSDs over one 1TB HDD or one 1TB SSD because

(a.) Better value. (b.) Raid 0 (c.) Quiet (d.) Fast (Ties in with c.) (Though I guess if I started with one 1TB SSD and eventually by another 1TB SSD, I'm effectively doubling what I'd have with just two 500GB SSDs.)

HDDs do still have their place but rather for something like a file server/NAS

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

The least reliable drives I've ever used were Seagates. A buddy of mine bought a 4TB Seagate hoping to replace several HDDs and that failed on him within a couple months. Forgive me if I take anything from Seagate that's judging the consumer as little more than Charlie Brown teacher noises.

Honestly I'd be willing to buy two 500GB SSDs over one 1TB HDD or one 1TB SSD because

(a.) Better value. (b.) Raid 0 (c.) Quiet (d.) Fast (Ties in with c.) (Though I guess if I started with one 1TB SSD and eventually by another 1TB SSD, I'm effectively doubling what I'd have with just two 500GB SSDs.)

HDDs do still have their place but rather for something like a file server/NAS

a. No.

b. RAID0 is pointless with SSDs.

a. No.

Still worth it to throw two or more SSDs into Raid 0 or Raid 10.

Also sure you're paying more to get 1TB in SSDs over HDDs but I think it's worth it.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

My wd black is plenty fast enough for the por...I mean family videos... I keep on it...won't be using an ssd for storage any time soon...

i7 4770k/Maximus VII Hero/Titan X/ 500gb 850evox2 r0/1000 EVGA G2

Only reason I'm not using SSD for storage right now is price. Once TB ssd's become more affordable (sub $150) I'll be using them for storage. I would much rather have a faster drive that produces zero noise then a slower drive that produces lots of noise. Its just that i cant afford TB ssd's right now :(

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

a. No.

What raid was Linus pc with 8 ssds before at?

Id say in 5 years time they will be priced the same. 

I dunno, even back in 2008, people were talking about going all flash by 2011 (very bottom)

Assuming this steady rate of increase, 1TB (one terabyte or about 1000 gigabytes) of flash storage costing 100 dollars could be reality by the year 2011.

Considering the 1TB 850 EVO still can't get below $300, 4 years after his prediction, I'd say the prediction is a bit off.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

hey Seagate go talk to linus then, iirc he is using ssd's for storage

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Seagate sells SSDs, so...

Seagate is generally considerably cheaper than WD.

Where the Hell do you buy drives from? I've never seen WD more expensive than Seagate at any point of competition in their product lineups.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Where the Hell do you buy drives from? I've never seen WD more expensive than Seagate at any point of competition in their product lineups.

Check pcpartpicker.

1TB Seagate Barracuda, $44. 1TB WD Blue, $50 ($49 for Green).

2TB Seagate Barracuda, $67. 2TB WD Green, $74.

3TB Seagate Barracuda, $81. 3TB WD Green, $92.

4TB Seagate Desktop, $123. 4TB WD Green, $134.

I'm sensing a pattern here.

Check pcpartpicker.

Average MTBF.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Check pcpartpicker.

Okay, and then for me I see

1TB 45 even for Barracuda and WD Red

2TB $71 barracuda 66 WD Green

3TB $90 Barracuda 82 WD Red

4TB 149 Barracuda 133 WD Black

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Okay, and then for me I see

1TB 45 even for Barracuda and WD Red

2TB $71 barracuda 66 WD Green

3TB $90 Barracuda 82 WD Red

4TB 149 Barracuda 133 WD Black

What? Are you looking at Canadian prices or something?

1TB

NcLEFn9.jpg

2TB

3A5TaRe.jpg

3TB

I8bS0Np.jpg

4TB

LMC8Oua.jpg

What? Are you looking at Canadian prices or something?

1TB

NcLEFn9.jpg

2TB

3A5TaRe.jpg

3TB

I8bS0Np.jpg

4TB

LMC8Oua.jpg

No, U.S., but I also use the TOR network and always do online shopping with Linux. Even in regional pricing (the U.S. Does have price regions), I get the lowest prices, just as Mac users get the highest.

No, U.S., but I also use the TOR network and always do online shopping with Linux. Even in regional pricing (the U.S. Does have price regions), I get the lowest prices, just as Mac users get the highest.

I should have another look at TOR now that my internet is stable at 1,4322/1,087 (and I'm only supposed to be getting 850Kbps up, and a lot less down due to my distance from the exchange-I got lucky).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Oh okay. So we should conclude that the average user, who shops using TOR on Linux, will get WD drives cheaper than Seagate drives. Only niche users running an exotic OS like Windows and special browser software like Chrome, Firefox etc. would get the kind of results I was talking about.

Oh okay. So we should conclude that the average user, who shops using TOR on Linux, will get WD drives cheaper than Seagate drives. Only niche users running an exotic OS like Windows and special browser software like Chrome, Firefox etc. would get the kind of results I was talking about.

I'm saying users should be discerning. And using Chrome and Firefox with cookies or tracking will drag your info around with you, and the shops will fix their prices to suit your history of purchase, trying to guess the maximum price you'd be willing to pay.

I'm saying users should be discerning. And using Chrome and Firefox with cookies or tracking will drag your info around with you, and the shops will fix their prices to suit your history of purchase, trying to guess the maximum price you'd be willing to pay.

Pcpartpicker isn't affected by any tracking done against you.

Pcpartpicker isn't affected by any tracking done against you.

If you really believe that you're quite naive.