CEO of Seagate: Nobody uses SSDs for storage

Deletive

true.  In heinsight I am struggling to find a data centre that might overwrite it's data (other than security camera servers).

Exactly. The only other exception are scratch discs, but I'm not really sure in what setups they are used in the server business.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

This, kids, is how a company fades into obscurity.

See: Kodak, Blackberry.

We just took delivery of some additional SSD storage for a large SAN we have. Granted most of it is mechanical, however I'm glad to see us get a decent large capacity array of SSDs.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

I cannot wait to be able to afford a 1 or 2 TB and through out all of my HDDs and never look back! It's like when CD's or tapes stopped being a thing. No one missed them. NO ONE! ;)

Edited: (those embarrassing typos)

I cannot wait to be able to afford a 1 or 2 TB and trough out all of may HDDs and never look back! It's like when CD's or tapes stopped being a thing. No one missed them. NO ONE! ;)

Tapes are still a thing 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Don't feel sorry for me. I don't care if it takes forever to boot up. As long as it does boot up, i'm happy.

like i said, it's not just the boot up. OS constantly needs to read/write data off/on the HDD for different apps so with an HDD the entire system feels slow, lagging and unresponsive. 

It's a good point that most users don't actually need much space. 

And I'd prefer all laptops came with small SSDs for that sake of inexperienced users, making them drop proof ect. 

But, except in small form factor laptops, they HAVEN'T replaced mechanical hard drives sadly. Reason is place like best buy put disk space, ram, and "i7" on the price card as the only metric to compare test systems by. 500GB sure looks better to shoppers than 250GB even if the latter is an SSD. 

Well laptops have mostly gone to SSD and all smartphones and tablets are ssd-based. So I would say hdds have become obsolete for mainstream users. 

"Nobody uses SSD's..." 

Sure... Except for more than a few ultrabooks, macbooks, and enthusiast systems.  If SSDs are so rare... why did seagate spend R&D money on their hybrid drives?  

Seriously... trying to deny a new technology as "we think no one will buy into it" is a business model that has, and will bite everyone in the ass.  Happened with small cars during the 1970s, Nokia vs. Apple, several other predictions that not only proved wrong, but catastrophically so.

While I will not phase out a spinny drive anytime soon, my next rig will have a system SSD for fast boot times. 

You really stripped that of all context.

Maybe when SSD's get cheaper and don't die out as easily. Maybe then I'll use them. Or I'll pick up a cheap SSD and place my OS on it.

what do you mean die out easy......http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead think you might want to read that .....cliffs, all the drives got over 700 TB before failing most cleared 1 PB and the 840 pro cleared 2 PB......

i've had 13 year old hard drives run to this day 24/7.

nope. speaking the whole truth.

i have have had 6 drives fail on me in 4 years whats your point

I don't see SSDs becoming replacements for storage for a good while.

For the price you pay for an SSD you can get several times the storage in HDDs.

Also SSDs can fail with less warning and once they do getting data off them can be much more challenging.

Don't SSDs have much shorter storage life if they are shelved and not in use vs HDDs as well?

of the 6 drives that failed me only 1 gave me any warning and that was the only one i could retrieve data from.

They do, but they don't make the flash chips. Or the controller. And their drives are not shitty. If anything, they're better than WD for better prices

actually there not. a data centre posted there drive failures and showed what drives were more reliable..and WD came out on top....seagate were quite some way behind....funny given its always WD drives that give me the most issues

on topic.....HDDs are going nowhere for quite some time.....when i can get a 1TB ssd for £100 then ill make the full switch but for now ill stick with ssd for the os and hdd for mass storage. oh and if your not running or have never run an SSD for the os then not only do you not know what your missing but you cant really make much of an informed observation.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

LOL this is so silly, people dont use SSD for storage because they are fucking expensive 512 and 1TB disk are insanely pricey.

In the future Seagate is gonna go bankrupt, memory tech advances really fast, 3d Nand, HBM and more and more R&D going on as someone said in about 5 years if seagate doesnt do SSD they wont be much of a top player anymore.

Ah ok. Are they mostly b2b drives? Never seen a Seagate SSD. But since they don't make any of the key components, it really just means they are an middle man, adding cost.

The Seagate 600 and 600 Pro are consumer drives. They're just not particularly well-known because they're nothing too special.

I'll swap out to a rig full of SSD's when they become £60 for 1TB like current high capacity HDD's

Right now I only have one 500GB SSD.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

actually there not. a data centre posted there drive failures and showed what drives were more reliable..and WD came out on top....seagate were quite some way behind....funny given its always WD drives that give me the most issues

Those are hard drives, and tested under conditions way outside what they were designed for. It can barely even be applied to their HDDs in regular consumer builds, let alone their SSDs.

I agree with the CEO today...for the main consumer, using SSDs for mass storage is absolutely impossible...it's just too expensive.

A 1TB SSD costs as much as a R9 390 or a GTX 970 lol...

But I also think this is bound to change in the near future.

Most people that built PCs in 2014 and now 2015-2016 will most likely end up with a 120GB / 128GB / 240GB / 256GB SSD and a 1TB / 2TB new drive + old drives.

It's the best combo for the money I'd say.

I find a 120GB SSD pretty spacious for my needs(but that's subjective). I manage to keep Windows some programs(Office, Photoshop, CPU-Z. Aida64 etc..) and games like CS:GO, Battlefield 3, League, Hearthstone, World of Tanks...and free space is about 10GB(+18GB left for over-provisioning).

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Well, ssd's were predicted to surpass hdd's in price per gigabyte some time in 2016... Personally I don't see it happening, but it might.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

While they are correct, it only remains that way due to the price difference of HDDs vs SSDs. Storage for most people has always remained a game of the cheapest option which has led consumer drives for many years.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Seagate sells SSDs, so...

Seagate is generally considerably cheaper than WD.

dont they just have sshds?

The Seagate 600 and 600 Pro are consumer drives. They're just not particularly well-known because they're nothing too special.

oh but they dont have the market share in ssds so of course it would be in their interest to stop the transition to ssds

-snip-

Using WD as an example because I'm not up to speed on other manufacturer's SKUs:

WD Purple drives are designed for 24/7 writes of high bit-rate data streams (surveillance systems) in server cases with a RAID card constantly updating the redundant data from the RAID 5 or 6 array.

WD reds are designed to be stuck in NAS devices or datastores, where they are subjected to increased heat and vibrations due to many drives operating in close proximity with a RAID card constantly updating the redundant data from the RAID 5 or 6 array. They are, along with the Purple drives, designed with a vastly higher MTBF than the Black/Blue/Green drives (something like 10 million hours compared to 2 million)..

WD Blacks are the drive intended for use in scenarios where most people have an SSD - OS, fast access storage.

WD Blues are like blacks, but they have slower access times.

WD Greens are designed to cope with being turned on and off by the system regularly (so basically operated like a hot-swap device).

For example, if you put a WD Green in a NAS or a surveillance system, it will die faster than if it is the sole storage drive in a PC because it isn't designed to cope with 24/7 writing as well as the vibrations and the additional heat. A test which puts a drive outside of its comfort zone will inevitably give that drive a worse rating. Conversely, if they put a WD Red in a scenario where it is merely operating as a storage drive in a PC, it'll out-last the sata connector used to plug it into the motherboard. That's why these test results aren't "useful" data.

Edited by Blade of Grass

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

i've had 13 year old hard drives run to this day 24/7.

nope. speaking the whole truth.

Nice. But what kinds of workloads were they exposed to? What measures have been taken to minimise/prevent bitrot? Did the drives operate in a climate controlled environment? What is the drive's average idle time over a week? There are just so many variables here that could influence the longevity of a HDD, apart from their obvious mechanical nature. The point is that while 13 years 24/7 runtime is freaking amazing, an SSD can also do this as well. It's like saying my Raid 1 512GB 840 array has done ~35TB of writes in less than a year (which is nothing in a enterprise environment). Off-topic I know... /rant

I wonder how many years it will take for SSDs to be on the same GB/$ level as HDDs are now.

I guess the million dollar question is - when SSDs drop in price to an affordable GB/$ where purchasing a >4TB capacity SSD becomes mainstream for consumers (like WD Greens are), will HDDs still be relevant?

While SSD is definitely the future for storage, the NAND memory is clearly a stop-gap development and far from reliable and perfect solution and as such is simply not suitable for complete top-to-bottom replacement. We need other more robust non-volatile memory tech to take over.

Using WD as an example because I'm not up to speed on other manufacturer's SKUs:

WD Purple drives are designed for 24/7 writes of high bit-rate data streams (surveillance systems) in server cases with a RAID card constantly updating the redundant data from the RAID 5 or 6 array.

WD reds are designed to be stuck in NAS devices or datastores, where they are subjected to increased heat and vibrations due to many drives operating in close proximity with a RAID card constantly updating the redundant data from the RAID 5 or 6 array. They are, along with the Purple drives, designed with a vastly higher MTBF than the Black/Blue/Green drives (something like 10 million hours compared to 2 million)..

WD Blacks are the drive intended for use in scenarios where most people have an SSD - OS, fast access storage.

WD Blues are like blacks, but they have slower access times.

WD Greens are designed to cope with being turned on and off by the system regularly (so basically operated like a hot-swap device).

For example, if you put a WD Green in a NAS or a surveillance system, it will die faster than if it is the sole storage drive in a PC because it isn't designed to cope with 24/7 writing as well as the vibrations and the additional heat. A test which puts a drive outside of its comfort zone will inevitably give that drive a worse rating. Conversely, if they put a WD Red in a scenario where it is merely operating as a storage drive in a PC, it'll out-last the sata connector used to plug it into the motherboard. That's why these test results aren't "useful" data.

Aren't purples vulnerable to data corruption due to being to being designed to rapidly record data without error messages? Is why their designed for surveillance systems...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Aren't purples vulnerable to data corruption due to being to being designed to rapidly record data without error messages? Is why their designed for surveillance systems...

That could be the case, but I don't know enough about the drive to say yes or no.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

SSD all day everyday!

post-19218-0-67112200-1438521212.png

EDIT

I should change the name to Windows 10 now though

post-19218-0-67112200-1438521212.png

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

SSD all day everyday!

attachicon.gifSSD.png

EDIT

I should change the name to Windows 10 now though

Why is your 5TB array a RAID0? Wouldn't it be more sensible to make it at least RAID1, if not RAID5?

Why is your 5TB array a RAID0? Wouldn't it be more sensible to make it at least RAID1, if not RAID5?

Sensible yes. But my entire build isn't sensible! ;)

Edit

Bigger numbers = m0ar e-pen0r

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

1) Lately I get so much content via digital streaming I only keep hard to find and favorites I watch or listen over and over locally. Though mostly to pass the time in the unlikely event of internet downtime

2) Even large files like game installs from steams I just put on the SSD and uninstall when not playing since it would take me maybe 1 or 2 hours to download even medium sized games and even large games are just done over 3 or 4 hours so easily overnight: Don't really need long term storage for games I own digitally

3) I still have access to internet speeds 10 times faster than what I have right now for relatively little more money (like only double what I pay right now) 

For this reasons, I am going with a 500gb + 128gb SSD as my storage. Might use an external mechanical for some of the rare stuff and collective movies to basically replace my 250 disc dvd wallet. But it's completely unnecessary I can and do easily get by with mostly just 128gb storage on SSD

-------

Current Rig

-------