CEO of Seagate: Nobody uses SSDs for storage

Deletive

But hitachi drives are more likely to fail. Or was it Toshiba?

Toshiba does, hitachi has like, the lowest failure rate of all harddrive manufacturers, well, HGST does, but they're the same thing really.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I am apparently nobody :P..

I have a 500gb ssd and a 1tb WD green drive. I put crazy ass huge games/games I never play on the HDD and everything else INCLUDING storage onto my SSD.. For me 500GB is more than enough. That being said I don't have all my games installed because I don't play them all and I have good enough internet to download them fairly quickly if I get an urge; GTA V for example is more storage than I'd use if I had no games/video files on my PC.

SSDs have already replaced HDDs for mainstream storage. In terms of regular end-users, only power-users--gamers and renderers--need the space HDDs provide. 

In the corporate environment, HDDs still make sense for storing large amounts of data. However they are already starting to convert some servers to SSDs for storage where fast read/write speeds matter. 

idk. kinda true for me. i don't see myself owning an ssd anytime soon. i'll stick to trusty old hdds.

If you are still using an HDD for a boot drive I feel sorry for you. It's not just the boot up time that's better with an SSD, the entire OS is snapper and more responsive. 

Also I've owned over 20 HDDs since ~1995 and at least half have failed on me, I'll trust a name brand SSD (like samsung) any day of the week over a HDD. In fact at this point I will always keep at least 2 HDDs and mirror the information as a backup. 

Yeah I wouldn't be doing that either on that many PCs. I'll never look back at HDD for boot drives ever again. It pains me whenever I have to use one now, they just make the system slow and unresponsive.

Hmm ghetto building, makes me want to grab my old LGA 775 Q6400 and see if I have enough stuff lying around to build a decent PC

I just built a Q9400 rig. The 750 TI gets bottlenecked by the CPU hard. not worth it imo unless it's a mobo/sc2/csgo machine. 

They do, but they don't make the flash chips. Or the controller. And their drives are not shitty. If anything, they're better than WD for better prices

So they essentially just rebrands OEM's? Or is it more like they set the spec and others make it?

They are pretty damn shitty.. Used to only buy Seagate, they get really hot, included my infamous 1TB 7200.11 HDD, which is the only HDD I've ever had die on me (and I even had a 10 GB Maxtor). Then I get my first WD, a 2TB black drive. It's much cooler, quieter, and seemingly more stable. Never Seagate again.

Then again, I might never buy an HDD again, as SSD's will plummet in price for larger sizes soon anyways.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I am currently working on a LGA 775 Pentium Dual Core E5200 (Got for free)

and a Radeon X300se

and an Intel desktop board w/ 2GB's of ram

2 80GB IDE HDD

1 SATA DVD Burner.

AND A DESK ORGANISER!!!!

I'll have to make sure it's all still there but I also had an MSI board, 4GB of 800mhz ram and 9800GX2 but it started PC started BSOD so something was stuffing up. Was a beast computer back in the day.

SSDs have already replaced HDDs for mainstream storage. In terms of regular end-users, only power-users--gamers and renderers--need the space HDDs provide. 

In the corporate environment, HDDs still make sense for storing large amounts of data. However they are already starting to convert some servers to SSDs for storage where fast read/write speeds matter. 

If you are still using an HDD for a boot drive I feel sorry for you. It's not just the boot up time that's better with an SSD, the entire OS is snapper and more responsive. 

Also I've owned over 20 HDDs since ~1995 and at least half have failed on me, I'll trust a name brand SSD (like samsung) any day of the week over a HDD. In fact at this point I will always keep at least 2 HDDs and mirror the information as a backup. 

I just built a Q9400 rig. The 750 TI gets bottlenecked by the CPU hard. not worth it imo unless it's a mobo/sc2/csgo machine. 

It's a good point that most users don't actually need much space. 

And I'd prefer all laptops came with small SSDs for that sake of inexperienced users, making them drop proof ect. 

But, except in small form factor laptops, they HAVEN'T replaced mechanical hard drives sadly. Reason is place like best buy put disk space, ram, and "i7" on the price card as the only metric to compare test systems by. 500GB sure looks better to shoppers than 250GB even if the latter is an SSD. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Don't feel sorry for me. I don't care if it takes forever to boot up. As long as it does boot up, i'm happy.

So they essentially just rebrands OEM's? Or is it more like they set the spec and others make it?

They are pretty damn shitty.. Used to only buy Seagate, they get really hot, included my infamous 1TB 7200.11 HDD, which is the only HDD I've ever had die on me (and I even had a 10 GB Maxtor). Then I get my first WD, a 2TB black drive. It's much cooler, quieter, and seemingly more stable. Never Seagate again.

Then again, I might never buy an HDD again, as SSD's will plummet in price for larger sizes soon anyways.

Probably just your bad luck with Seagate. It's the exact opposite for me. Every single WD drive i've had has died on me. I bought one last year to replace my 200GB Maxtor drive as a boot HDD. Died. Everything gone. NEver going back with that shitty brand. And plus, my dad works for seagate, so he gets employee discounts. sure i'm biased towards seagate, but t's not because my dad works for them. it's bc of experience.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

i've had 13 year old hard drives run to this day 24/7.

nope. speaking the whole truth.

Woop, 23 year old AC280-used as a boot drive until 2009. Retired officially 2010 and now its my shits and giggles DOS/Win 3.1/Win 95 HDD.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Has anyone seen ssd's in a commercial storage setup, like a sans? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I can agree with that statement mostly. If you think about it, most computer that exist in the world are for businesses and non-personal use. How many office computers have you used that even had any solid storage? They need to think about what they sell, and what their largest customer base is. Prices for SSDs will have to come down a lot for people to use them for all PC storage

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Don't feel sorry for me. I don't care if it takes forever to boot up. As long as it does boot up, i'm happy.

Probably just your bad luck with Seagate. It's the exact opposite for me. Every single WD drive i've had has died on me. I bought one last year to replace my 200GB Maxtor drive as a boot HDD. Died. Everything gone. NEver going back with that shitty brand. And plus, my dad works for seagate, so he gets employee discounts. sure i'm biased towards seagate, but t's not because my dad works for them. it's bc of experience.

It's not just faster boot time, but faster startup time for all software you initiate while in Windows. Also as he states, everything feels more snappier, as it respons faster.

As for my Seagate drive, it wasn't bad luck, but an infamously shitty defective firmware. Afaik it was a countdown error, that would initiate eventually, meaning about 100% of all drives would brick themselves after some time. For most that happened after 1-3 months. I didn't get it until a year in.

http://techreport.com/news/16232/1tb-barracudas-failing-in-droves-users-claim

Last year (I believe) I hacked the drive with a USB to serial port and restarted the drive from its locked state, so I could update the firmware. It worked! And then it died a few months later from the click of death. So yeah, no more Seagate for me. Too noisy, too hot and too unstable.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Woop, 23 year old AC280-used as a boot drive until 2009. Retired officially 2010 and now its my shits and giggles DOS/Win 3.1/Win 95 HDD.

I wanna pull the HDD out of my old IBM Thinkpad 560. People don't make laptops like they used to do anymore. This thing is a bitch to take apart.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I can agree with that statement mostly. If you think about it, most computer that exist in the world are for businesses and non-personal use. How many office computer have you used that even had any solid storage? Prices for SSDs will have to come down a lot for people to use them for all PC storage

But for older computers they are becoming a viable alternative. For example, I was able to upgrade an old laptop from a 100GB Sata 1 HDD to a 240GB SSD (fair enough the laptop itself is limited to Sata1, but the speed with small files negates the slower than possible large file speeds).

I wanna pull the HDD out of my old IBM Thinkpad 560. People don't make laptops like they used to do anymore. This thing is a bitch to take apart.

Just like my old Compaq Presario R300. Its a shame the RAM, HDD CPU and GPU are so far behind-they are litteally the only thing stopping me from using the laptop as a daily driver-far superior screen, sound quality, typing comfort, track pad and overall build quality than any modern laptop (and its cooling setup is insane, it managed to keep its P4 Northwood 3.2GHz stable and cool at 3.9GHz, though the power brick was at its limits)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Has anyone seen ssd's in a commercial storage setup, like a sans? 

Well....

It's not just faster boot time, but faster startup time for all software you initiate while in Windows. Also as he states, everything feels more snappier, as it respons faster.

As for my Seagate drive, it wasn't bad luck, but an infamously shitty defective firmware. Afaik it was a countdown error, that would initiate eventually, meaning about 100% of all drives would brick themselves after some time. For most that happened after 1-3 months. I didn't get it until a year in.

http://techreport.com/news/16232/1tb-barracudas-failing-in-droves-users-claim

Last year (I believe) I hacked the drive with a USB to serial port and restarted the drive from its locked state, so I could update the firmware. It worked! And then it died a few months later from the click of death. So yeah, no more Seagate for me. Too noisy, too hot and too unstable.

honestly no seagate drive was ever too hot for me. my 2tb drive in my main system runs at a constant 100f (26 so C for u metric) while a WD drive in my dad's system runs as hot as 130F (40-50C i believe). And keep in mind that in both systems, there is a fan right in front of it to suck air right into the HDD. Without the fan, the WD drive could get about an extra 20F or so hotter.

Well....

I knew about that, I was thinking more along the lines of serious enterprise situations, corporate data centres and the like where seagate are likely to make most of their money (because I seriously doubt keyboard warriors and enthusiast like us add much to their bottom line). 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I honestly think one day our boot drive will be PCIE, M.2 or NVME and our mass storage will be SATA

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

honestly no seagate drive was ever too hot for me. my 2tb drive in my main system runs at a constant 100f (26 so C for u metric) while a WD drive in my dad's system runs as hot as 130F (40-50C i believe). And keep in mind that in both systems, there is a fan right in front of it to suck air right into the HDD. Without the fan, the WD drive could get about an extra 20F or so hotter.

My 80GB, 250GB and 1TB all runs (/ran)​ at about 55c with no airflow. This was even on a flat table with no heat sources anywhere near. My WD Black (which is a fast HDD), never broke 45c passively. With active cooling they run about the same, but the WD might have higher temp due to being sandwiched between the Seagates.

I knew about that, I was thinking more along the lines of serious enterprise situations, corporate data centres and the like where seagate are likely to make most of their money (because I seriously doubt keyboard warriors and enthusiast like us add much to their bottom line). 

Nah, generally too expensive. Most servers has obscene amounts of RAM and the HDD's run in fast RAID setups, so usually it's not that important. At least not for the cost.

Didn't say it wasnt. Hitachi sells drives much cheaper than seagate, and often, there is almost no difference in performance.

You said "seagate still has higher prices on their disks than pretty much everyone else", which isn't really true when WD, their main competitor, generally has higher prices.

Toshiba and Hitachi are often cheaper, but I still wouldn't say it's a general rule.

My 80GB, 250GB and 1TB all runs (/ran)​ at about 55c with no airflow. This was even on a flat table with no heat sources anywhere near. My WD Black (which is a fast HDD), never broke 45c passively. With active cooling they run about the same, but the WD might have higher temp due to being sandwiched between the Seagates.

Nah, generally too expensive. Most servers has obscene amounts of RAM and the HDD's run in fast RAID setups, so usually it's not that important. At least not for the cost.

That's basically what I thought, but in this day and age you can never be too sure.  I would also assume that if you hit an ssd with the same write load some of the biggest companies have they might be killing more drives per day.   (youtube write 72hours of video to their servers every minute)

They buy LAMD controllers and NAND from whoever. Then they build SSDs from that.

You said "seagate still has higher prices on their disks than pretty much everyone else", which isn't really true when WD, their main competitor, generally has higher prices.

Toshiba and Hitachi are often cheaper, but I still wouldn't say it's a general rule.

Well then, i retract my earlier statement about them being more expensive. I was going based off of the price on newegg, but ouletpc and amazon have them much cheaper, I would not have expected that large of a price differential in harddrive, which usually hover around the same price everywhere.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

That's basically what I thought, but in this day and age you can never be too sure.  I would also assume that if you hit an ssd with the same write load some of the biggest companies have they might be killing more drives per day.   (youtube write 72hours of video to their servers every minute)

Yeah but those 72 hours don't write over previous videos, they are added to blank drives. Also when even consumer drives can take over 1 petabyte of write before the drive dies, it's not all bad. Just too expensive. Also data recovery might be an issue as well, as recovering from HDD's is a lot easier than on SSD's.

Either way, if the prices keep falling hard and drive space goes up (say 4TB SSD for like 300€), I honestly think I would go full solid state in my computer. Thanks to streaming services, drive space is really not that important anymore.

They buy LAMD controllers and NAND from whoever. Then they build SSDs from that.

Ah ok. Are they mostly b2b drives? Never seen a Seagate SSD. But since they don't make any of the key components, it really just means they are an middle man, adding cost.

Yeah he can say that for now, but in the very (and I mean very) near future mechanical hard drives will be almost obsolete and value and speed.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Yeah but those 72 hours don't write over previous videos, they are added to blank drives. Also when even consumer drives can take over 1 petabyte of write before the drive dies, it's not all bad. Just too expensive. Also data recovery might be an issue as well, as recovering from HDD's is a lot easier than on SSD's.

Either way, if the prices keep falling hard and drive space goes up (say 4TB SSD for like 300€), I honestly think I would go full solid state in my computer. Thanks to streaming services, drive space is really not that important anymore.

Ah ok. Are they mostly b2b drives? Never seen a Seagate SSD. But since they don't make any of the key components, it really just means they are an middle man, adding cost.

true.  In heinsight I am struggling to find a data centre that might overwrite it's data (other than security camera servers).