Ex-Employee Of Naughty Dog Claims Consoles Wont Be Outdated Due To RAM

TwistedDictator
“In general, I would not worry about the consoles becoming outdated. Remember, the PS3 and Xbox 360 have only 512MB of RAM, but the PC versions of the same games usually require 2GB or more. On consoles you have more control over memory allocations. The 8GB of RAM in both the Xbox One and PS4 should be plenty for the remainder of this console generation,”

“For me, my major complaint these days with games is light leaking.  It is too expensive to have a shadow on every light that you make in a game so you have this effect where light seems to bleed through objects.  As an example, you might see a character with a bright light behind him or her.  Then you will see these bright lights on the creases of his or her clothes which should not be there.  That is light leaking and it drives me crazy.  You also see it a lot on muzzle flashes.  That is the next thing that I would like to see improved.”

Source

I have not used over 8GB yet on a game.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

The ram isn't an issue, the issue is how crappy the consoles are xD

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Well yeah, RAM isn't the problem, GPU power is.

File that statement under "no duh". RAM was never an issue for these consoles. It was the weak GPUs (comparatively speaking, console hardware is still pretty good compared to what an average gamer actually uses, not the "DERP 290S FOR LYFE BRO" attitude that PC Mustard Rats have). 

Weak GPUs because MS, Sony and Nintendo decided to be cheap and not take hardware losses. To be fair, only MS could honestly sustain hardware loss. Sony and Nintendo don't have billions a year to blow on gaming for fun. 

Meh, you can use over 8GB/over 4GB in games because games just generally use what is available in terms of RAM.

The 360 and PS3 were just very weird, so you can't compare that.

The next gen consoles have APU's (pretty much), so the system and GPU memory are shared.

So it's not exactly like 'regular' PC's.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

who ever said that this gen of consoles will be out dated because of ram lol

its outdated because of the "meh" cpu and gpu

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

The ram isn't an issue, the issue is how crappy the consoles are xD

No, its crap because of that damn APU inside of it man.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Well since the consoles max out at the level of an R9 270, the performance is the issue 

And the OS uses 2-3GB, and the game and GPU need their pools of RAM

no wonder the graphics and resolution suck 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Would of been nice if the consoles did 4k at 60fps. Just saying but they don't so I went with a pc upgrade instead of wasting money on consoles.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Meh, you can use over 8GB/over 4GB in games because games just generally use what is available in terms of RAM.

The 360 and PS3 were just very weird, so you can't compare that.

The next gen consoles have APU's (pretty much), so the system and GPU memory are shared.

So it's not exactly like 'regular' PC's.

You got sources ?? about it being shared and like a regular PC ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Would of been nice if the consoles did 4k at 60fps. Just saying but they don't so I went with a pc upgrade instead of wasting money on consoles.

Are you drunk ?? did you really expect 4K 60FPS on 400$ machines ?? and isn't your monitor 1440P ??? when did you start playing 4k ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Well since the consoles max out at the level of an R9 270, the performance is the issue 

And the OS uses 2-3GB, and the game and GPU need their pools of RAM

no wonder the graphics and resolution suck 

Resloution yes but graphics ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

APUs are APUs, they use system RAM instead of dedicated VRAM.  That's what they are.

Are you drunk ?? did you really expect 4K 60FPS on 400$ machines ?? and isn't your monitor 1440P ??? when did you start playing 4k ?

No, I expected it to be much more and I don't use a monitor for consoles I use a 55 inch 4k tv. smh. Price is not the issue here.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Both CPU's and GPU's in the consoles were too weak. I hope to see decent new consoles soon, they gonna hold us back yet again.

If they are going to be x86, they need to be Intel cores or AMD needs to do something with zen or something. And the GPU's need to be equivalent to a GTX 970 or better.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

It takes 1500 to have proper 4K 60fps on a PC. The fuck do people think a 350 dollar console is going to do...

Again, by virtue of being an AMD APU, the Xbox One and PS4 GPUs are technologically very similar

[...]

While both consoles are outfitted with 8GB of RAM, the PS4 opts for 5500MHz GDDR5 RAM, while the Xbox One uses the more PC-like 2133MHz DDR3 RAM.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps4-vs-pc-how-the-hardware-specs-compare

Both use an APU. Meaning a CPU for both 'CPU stuff' and 'GPU stuff'

This means no dedicated GPU, so no dedicated VRAM. The VRAM is the system memory in the system.

This is why higher frequency RAM is so good for APU systems, because GDDR5 memory is much faster than 'regular' DDR3 and in APU systems, the DDR3 is used as VRAM.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

No, I expected it to be much more and I don't use a monitor for consoles I use a 55 inch 4k tv. smh. Price is not the issue here.

It's bloody 400$ machine expecting more is ridiculous IMO TBH.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

It takes 1500 to have proper 4K 60fps on a PC. The fuck do people think a 350 dollar console is going to do...

Durrr durrrr dur. I never mentioned price. Seriously lol. Of course it would cost more. Smh

It's bloody 400$ machine expecting more is ridiculous IMO TBH.

I never said it would be a $400 machine lol.

Durrr durrrr dur. I never mentioned price. Seriously lol. Of course it would cost more. Smh

The only durr durr is your original post. "Would've been nice to have 4K 60fps". Yea, it would be nice if I have Eva Longoria and Kate Beckinsale in the shower with me too, but sadly reality gets in the way of such pie in the sky desires. 

The only people upset at what consoles have always done are people who aren't buying them in the first place. People building PCs don't care that a console is weak. People buying consoles don't care that the PCs are more powerful. 

Fanboys on both sides have insecurities to deal with. 

I never said it would be a $400 machine lol.

You mentioned console and consoles are 400$ machines so yeah.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Source

I have not used over 8GB yet on a game.

Actually you probably have: Remember that PCs utilize dedicated vram and the consoles do not, they share it with the GPU. I've seen games like GTA V use 4 or 5 GB of system ram and more than 3 gb of my GPU vram.

It's also why this guy is just flatout wrong: They already can't handle 1080p so it basically means console games look about as good as they are gonna look. 

-------

Current Rig

-------