Ex-Employee Of Naughty Dog Claims Consoles Wont Be Outdated Due To RAM

TwistedDictator

As if ram was ever the consoles' problem

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well yeah, RAM isn't the problem, GPU power is.

But if GPU power wasn't the problem then RAM would be: it's pointless to use more vram since the GPU can't push it anyway but if it could then it would be an issue. Kind of a balance if you ask me I'll give em that, what I don't like is the implied assumption that games will continue to improve on the consoles which they will not.

-------

Current Rig

-------

File that statement under "no duh". RAM was never an issue for these consoles. It was the weak GPUs (comparatively speaking, console hardware is still pretty good compared to what an average gamer actually uses, not the "DERP 290S FOR LYFE BRO" attitude that PC Mustard Rats have). 

Weak GPUs because MS, Sony and Nintendo decided to be cheap and not take hardware losses. To be fair, only MS could honestly sustain hardware loss. Sony and Nintendo don't have billions a year to blow on gaming for fun. 

IXjddF5.png

PS3 was running on less than 512mb ram, so 8gb is more than enough.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

The only durr durr is your original post. "Would've been nice to have 4K 60fps". Yea, it would be nice if I have Eva Longoria and Kate Beckinsale in the shower with me too, but sadly reality gets in the way of such pie in the sky desires. 

The only people upset at what consoles have always done are people who aren't buying them in the first place. People building PCs don't care that a console is weak. People buying consoles don't care that the PCs are more powerful. 

Fanboys on both sides have insecurities to deal with. 

Sad thing is I'm not a fanboy and I I own several consoles and over 400 console games. I own a xbox one as well but even then I decided to not buy anymore games untill Halo 5. Also I said it would be nice if they did 4k at 60fps and price is not an issue. So yes durr durr to your reply. I would pay more for a console to do that. I was thinking of buying a ps4 but I will just hold off and not waste anymore of my money of them. I love consoles because I have a clan I manage and have know for 13 years.

You mentioned console and consoles are 400$ machines so yeah.

You need to look at the bigger picture. You would not know the price of a console if it did support 4k. So by saying its $400 is missing the point of my post.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Well considering they use an APU they are pretty powerful and ahead in the APU department :P Nowhere near as good as dedicated GPU though :/

Until the Next Gen APUs AMD releases :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Sad thing is I'm not a fanboy and I I own several consoles and over 400 console games. I own a xbox one as well but even then I decided to not buy anymore games untill Halo 5. Also I said it would be nice if they did 4k at 60fps and price is not an issue. So yes durr durr to your reply. I would pay more for a console to do that. I was thinking of buying a ps4 but I will just hold off and not waste anymore of my money of them. I love consoles because I have a clan I manage and have know for 13 years.

You need tp look at the bigger picture. You would not know the price of a console if it did support 4k. So by saying its $400 is missing the point of my post.

Will I think the point of console that they are affordable gaming machines and that's a reason why they are popular.

I know a lot of people who would't give a damn about the resolution /graphics if the core gameplay is great and athletics is some what acceptable.

This is great.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

No, I expected it to be much more and I don't use a monitor for consoles I use a 55 inch 4k tv. smh. Price is not the issue here.

people were hoping for machines power enough for 4k when they announced the consoles, but we already knew it wasn't going to happen when they showed them and they only had HDMI on them, what we didn't know is that they couldn't even do 1080p/30fps in most games

Wait, why have I been upgrading my GPU and CPU if all I needed to do was to get more RAM?

Will I think the point of console that they are affordable gaming machines and that's a reason why they are popular.

I know a lot of people who would't give a damn about the resolution /graphics if the core gameplay is great and athletics is some what acceptable.

This is great.

I know, I just want a hardcore console edition. None of this other stuff. All these applications they put on the current consoles to make them a media center for everyone. That is why I went with my overkill pc build. I would love to support consoles more because I have hundreds of friends on them. Even a console with no media crap and a better hardware I would pay a much higher price for. Even if it was only 1080p. I'm allowed to dream. :( Just hard to play console games when I have my pc right next to me. I understand consoles are for everyone. Oh well no use in telling you or anyone else. Maybe in the future.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I know, I just want a hardcore console edition. None of this other stuff. All these applications they put on the current consoles to make them a media center for everyone. That is why I went with my overkill pc build. I would love to support consoles more because I have hundreds of friends on them. Even a console with no media crap and a better hardware I would pay a much higher price for. Even if it was only 1080p. I'm allowed to dream. :( Just hard to play console games when I have my pc right next to me. I understand consoles are for everyone. Oh well no use in telling you or anyone else. Maybe in the future.

I'm sure people with pcs and your same view on this(paying much more for a 4k console, or even a 1080 144hz console) are far and few between. Especially considering consoles aren't upgradable, or even something you can crack open to clean dust out of. Plus, if they made it a hardcore gaming machine it would increase in size, and that would be a major no-no imo. Having more console games to play on pc would be much more reasonable.

CPU Intel i7 8700k | Motherboard ASUS Z370-E | RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB(8x 2GB) | GPU Asus Strix 1080ti | Case Corsair 570X | Storage Samsung 960 NVME M.2, Intel 530 240GB ssd, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Corsair AX1200iCooling XSPC Photon 270 reservoir, D5 pump, Raystorm cpu block, and an EX360 rad | Keyboard Corsair k70 rgb | MousLogitech Proteus Spectrum rgb

the gpu is powerful. Considering its an apu its pretty impressive.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

I have similar sentiments but you're basically asking for consoles not to be consoles: their point is to be cheap and easy pieces so that they have mass appeal to more people than just hard-core gamers

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't consider weak GPUs much of an issue, you can always turn down the visual quality till it runs at an acceptable level.

If the developers leave the visual quality higher and sacrifice performance that is their choice, but if you run out of available RAM you're pretty much SOL.

When you run out of RAM you're cutting gameplay features, animations, altering the game world and things inside it.

Some more well known examples of games on console suffering from limited ram are Shadow of Mordor (Nemesis system removed from last gen versions) and Mass Effect series not being able to draw and holster your weapon at will.

Another example - Random battles in RPGs. This was often done because they did not have the RAM to populate enemies on the maps.

I'm sure if developers wanted to (or were allowed to) they could talk about countless game mechanics or features they had to cut or alter because they couldn't fit if in the available RAM.

I think it was either in an Uncharted or Last of Us behind the scenes clip where they showed a dev playing the game with a color coded graph a the top of the screen (looked similar to WinDirStat) showing available RAM and every aspect of the game that was loaded into RAM and he was monitoring that they didn't go over their limit and trying to see what could be cut or change.

RAM was a very big deal in past console generations and this may be the first one where it may not be quite the issue it was before.

Would of been nice if the consoles did 4k at 60fps. Just saying but they don't so I went with a pc upgrade instead of wasting money on consoles.

The first decent single-GPU solution for 4K gaming is the Titan X, and that's $1,000 for the card and nothing else.  Do you expect a $400 basic APU gaming box to hustle 4K60fps when the Titan X even struggles to hold 60 fps at 4K res in some games?  Or did you just have a few too many beers last night?

System: Some HP Laptop

Future System: FX-6300 GTX 960 BEAST

It takes 1500 to have proper 4K 60fps on a PC. The fuck do people think a 350 dollar console is going to do...

1080p 60FPS?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

the gpu is powerful. Considering its an apu its pretty impressive.

The gpu is not powerful. Considering it's an apu, it's not impressive.

I'm sure people with pcs and your same view on this(paying much more for a 4k console, or even a 1080 144hz console) are far and few between. Especially considering consoles aren't upgradable, or even something you can crack open to clean dust out of. Plus, if they made it a hardcore gaming machine it would increase in size, and that would be a major no-no imo. Having more console games to play on pc would be much more reasonable.

That is why I can now play games at ultra over 144fps at 1440p. Another reason why I don't like consoles because of backwards compatibility. My pc plays Command & Conquer and that game was made  in 1995.

I have similar sentiments but you're basically asking for consoles not to be consoles: their point is to be cheap and easy pieces so that they have mass appeal to more people than just hard-core gamers

They can keep their media center version. I'm just asking for a console without that. I have talked to several people and they agree with me.

1080p 60FPS?

It barely even does that. :(

The gpu is not powerful. Considering it's an apu, it's not impressive.

It is. Playing modern games at 1080p, with playable framerates without a dedicated gpu is great. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Both CPU's and GPU's in the consoles were too weak. I hope to see decent new consoles soon, they gonna hold us back yet again.

If they are going to be x86, they need to be Intel cores or AMD needs to do something with zen or something. And the GPU's need to be equivalent to a GTX 970 or better.

When HBM and HMC come down in price to the point they are affordable for consoles, then we'll see good console gaming machines.

AMD has CPU cores plenty powerful for the consoles, but Microsoft and Sony cheaped out. If you put Puma+ in consoles with 6-8 cores you'd have plenty of power for a couple years. That said, Zen sounds awesome, and if it is I'm sure AMD will leverage it for future consoles as possible.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It is. Playing modern games at 1080p, with playable framerates without a dedicated gpu is great. 

*sigh* Just because you don't have a separate daughterboard doesn't mean shit. You can throw a Hawaii core on something with some CPU cores, doesn't change anything. It is not impressive because greater can be done quite easily even before the release of these consoles.

Memory has very very little to do with any kind of performance other then compute. For gaming you will get away with 4GB easily. I don't really understand why the consoles have 8GB anyway because I bet they only use about 3.5GB at any moment.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard