Ex-Employee Of Naughty Dog Claims Consoles Wont Be Outdated Due To RAM

TwistedDictator

1080p 60FPS?

Arent consoles 400 dollars last I checked.

Then you have overpriced peripherals , overpriced games , net subscription for online .

It ads up very quickly .

Consoles are a false economy.

In the context of the construction worker to PC analogy,

You can have the biggest hands in the world, but if you can't pick em up, you can't do sh*t with em.

Then you have overpriced peripherals , overpriced games , net subscription for online .

It ads up very quickly .

^ a googolplex times this

It is. Playing modern games at 1080p, with playable framerates without a dedicated gpu is great. 

If you call 30fps with crap loads of motion blur and medium/low graphics settings playable.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It ads up very quickly .

UK it is £50 for an additional controller since they come with one. So that's pretty pricey just so that my brother can destroy my ass on FIFA. £50+ for any game since they haven't dropped. 

To top it all off none of the old PS3 gear works at all. Thanks Sony. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

If you call 30fps with crap loads of motion blur and medium/low graphics settings playable.

Don't forget that almost none of the truly modern games don't actually run at 1080p on the consoles anyway. I consider my rig just a tad over the bare minimum to have high settings and 60 fps 1080p and it cost me 800 to put together.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Don't forget that almost none of the truly modern games don't actually run at 1080p on the consoles anyway

Isn't it just like...900p stretched or something?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Isn't it just like...900p stretched or something?

"Upscaled" sounds marginally less demeaning but yes. Although others are more creative in their lies using letterboxing instead to hide the less than 1080p resolution.

-------

Current Rig

-------

ok, so pc needs 4x more ram, then ive the console has 8GB, i need 32GB of ram on my pc and it wont be outdated until the PS5.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

And to think that the Original Xbox had games that looked comparatively good to games played on PC at its time of launch with only 64MB of RAM, 8MB vRAM, a Custom 733MHz PIII and an 8-10GB HDD. And it kicked around for 5 years after PC's had completely outstripped it. The Xbone and PS$ actually might be around longer than most people would think possible. (I hate saying that, but its true-give us another unlocked true gaming console MS!!!)

(Edit: The '$ isn't a mistake)

(Edit 2: I can honestly compare the Original Xbox to a gaming rig from that time as I own one alongside my Xbox. And the Xbox still holds its own against the rig, even though it has less RAM, vRAM and a weaker Pentium 3).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That not what I'm worried about, I'm more worried about the raw power these system have. They should have been about two times more powerful to be more relevant in today games if they wanted to last another 6 years.

And to think that the Original Xbox had games that looked comparatively good to games played on PC at its time of launch with only 64MB of RAM, 8MB vRAM, a Custom 733MHz PIII and an 8-10GB HDD. And it kicked around for 5 years after PC's had completely outstripped it. The Xbone and PS$ actually might be around longer than most people would think possible. (I hate saying that, but its true-give us another unlocked true gaming console MS!!!)

(Edit: The '$ isn't a mistake)

(Edit 2: I can honestly compare the Original Xbox to a gaming rig from that time as I own one alongside my Xbox. And the Xbox still holds its own against the rig, even though it has less RAM, vRAM and a weaker Pentium 3).

xbox360 games at launch don't look dramatically different than the ones released this year. Contrary to popular belief, the quality pretty much doesn't changes all that much, it's just good enough for several years but not incredibly better by leaps or bounds just with software optimization. Games like GTA IV vs V on those consoles just manage to squeeze a bit bigger cities and such buty they pretty much look the same.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I still challenge someone to create a $350 PC ( with peripherals, blu-ray, wifi etc) that can match a console's performance. Consoles have their place in the market.

People are so butthurt over consoles. The latest gen is easily multiple times faster than previous consoles. I guess they need to stick a R9 290X and FX-8350 into them in order to make people happy with a $1000 price point. They were a major upgrade from any previous console and AMD is already taking inventory for the new batch of them coming out this holiday season. I would imagine they will update the cores to Puma+ for better power efficiency and update the graphics IP to GCN 1.2 for better power efficiency. In doing so they can add in more shaders if need be without the unit consuming more power or running any hotter than the previous generation. Plus HBM is available now so I imagine the next gen consoles will do away with GDDR5 and DDR3.

People are so butthurt over consoles. The latest gen is easily multiple times faster than previous consoles. I guess they need to stick a R9 290X and FX-8350 into them in order to make people happy with a $1000 price point. They were a major upgrade from any previous console and AMD is already taking inventory for the new batch of them coming out this holiday season. I would imagine they will update the cores to Puma+ for better power efficiency and update the graphics IP to GCN 1.2 for better power efficiency. In doing so they can add in more shaders if need be without the unit consuming more power or running any hotter than the previous generation. Plus HBM is available now so I imagine the next gen consoles will do away with GDDR5 and DDR3.

My view is this. They are weak but devs are doing an amazing job working with such limited hardware. (Ubisoft excluded).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My view is this. They are weak but devs are doing an amazing job working with such limited hardware. (Ubisoft excluded).

The question is though what are they weak in comparison to?

Source

I have not used over 8GB yet on a game.

Heavily modded Cities Skylines with a 200k+ city goes above 4GB RAM. I'll see a CPU bottle-neck before RAM in that game, but high-res textures coupled with high population could well see it using a lot of RAM (as well as VRAM).

Both CPU's and GPU's in the consoles were too weak. I hope to see decent new consoles soon, they gonna hold us back yet again.

If they are going to be x86, they need to be Intel cores or AMD needs to do something with zen or something. And the GPU's need to be equivalent to a GTX 970 or better.

AMD provided a chip to the specifications that Sony and Microsoft demanded. Blame the console manufacturers for asking for a lower-powered chip, not the company that made it.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

People are so butthurt over consoles. 

After seeing many half assed game ports, major game devs trying to justify shit like 30fps being more "cinematic" and games like Watchdogs intentionally nerfed on PC to make the consoles look better, you bet: having our experience effectively being diminished to accommodate console users more than entitles anyone to criticize them. The comparison it's more than dollar to dollar and hardware to hardware, the consoles are pesky parasites that diminish the amount of decent quality games we could otherwise have to serve their agendas. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

People are butthurt because the consoles are garbage compared to what ps3/xbox360 were on release.

The ps3/xbox360 were high end on release this gen gets destroyed by many HD5000 series cards and i3 processors.

Sony/MS decided to be cheap and released crappy consoles it's simple as that.

RTX2070OC 

File that statement under "no duh". RAM was never an issue for these consoles. It was the weak GPUs (comparatively speaking, console hardware is still pretty good compared to what an average gamer actually uses, not the "DERP 290S FOR LYFE BRO" attitude that PC Mustard Rats have). 

Weak GPUs because MS, Sony and Nintendo decided to be cheap and not take hardware losses. To be fair, only MS could honestly sustain hardware loss. Sony and Nintendo don't have billions a year to blow on gaming for fun. 

When the PS4 came out it was $600 + $50 PS+ here in Australia.

When I built my PC around 2013 it was only $700 and already more powerful than the PS4 and does more things. FX-8350, R9 270X and 8GB DDR3, then I upgraded to R9 290 a year later. I could've gone with the i5 which is only $20 more but I was dumb at the time, didn't knew about the poor single-threaded performance of the FX-8350, even then it still performs better than a PS4, even more so than a Xbox One.

So PS4 for $600 + $50 is not a good deal, people here in Australia should just buy PC, of which most of my friends are already doing, moving from PS3.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

People are butthurt because the consoles are garbage compared to what ps3/xbox360 were on release.

The ps3/xbox360 were high end on release this gen gets destroyed by many HD5000 series cards and i3 processors.

Sony/MS decided to be cheap and released crappy consoles it's simple as that.

What are you expecting out of a $400 unit? The GPU in both consoles easily exceeds 10x the performance of the RSX that was in the PS3. What you're saying is they should of jacked up the price to $1000 which is necessary for extending out to higher hardware profiles? I don't think anyone is going to buy a $1000 PS4. Instead you have an affordable unit that's a huge step forward from their predecessors. You've come to expect too much out of consoles which is the problem. They will never live up to a gaming desktop like they haven't and never will so I would accept the simple facts to avoid future disappointments. There seems to be a lot of broken logic involved with those who are "upset". Another fault lies within the developers who aren't properly optimizing the games for these new systems.

What are you expecting out of a $400 unit? The GPU in both consoles easily exceeds 10x the performance of the RSX that was in the PS3. What you're saying is they should of jacked up the price to $1000 which is necessary for extending out to higher hardware profiles? I don't think anyone is going to buy a $1000 PS4. Instead you have an affordable unit that's a huge step forward from their predecessors. You've come to expect too much out of consoles which is the problem. They will never live up to a gaming desktop like they haven't and never will so I would accept the simple facts to avoid future disappointments. There seems to be a lot of broken logic involved with those who are "upset". Another fault lies within the developers who aren't properly optimizing the games for these new systems.

PS4 here in Australia is $600 and the PS3 was $1100 and it still sells because people think it was way ahead in technology than the Xbox 360 and mainstream PC at the time so they buy it....

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

I still challenge someone to create a $350 PC ( with peripherals, blu-ray, wifi etc) that can match a console's performance. Consoles have their place in the market.

America is not the only country in the world.

2013 - PS4 here in Australia is $600 + $60 annual subscription fee, my PC from 2013 is only $700 (also Australian) powered by FX-8350/i5(add $20 more), R9 270X, 8GB DDR3, SSD, Windows 8, Logitech G400s, no subscription fee, Steam sales. etc etc

Most of my friends has moved from PS3 to PC, including me. It really has no place here apart from those who isn't smart enough to use a screw driver and read the manual or didn't realise they get their PC build for free from the retail store.

Just recently my friend saved up $700 for a PC to replace his PS3 so we built an i5, R9 270, 4GB DDR3 (upgrade RAM later), Windows 7 rig at my place in less than 2 hours and now he knows how to build a PC from scratch and enjoyed doing it.

I can still build a good PC for Australian $600, I just have to replace the i5 with an i3 or pentium but I wouldn't recommend so. And remember PS4 has $50-60 annual subscription fee so a console is more expensive than you think. A $700 PC is more cheaper than a $600 PS4 after 2 years :P

And the Xbox One....well lets just say Australian TV shows aren't good.....

One thing console is good for is energy efficiency and small form factor, but meh.

Yay lets use more and more slower RAM for graphics 

that will work wont it lol 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

PS4 here in Australia is $600 and the PS3 was $1100 and it still sells because people think it was way ahead in technology than the Xbox 360 and mainstream PC at the time so they buy it....

At the time of the PS3 release it did pack notably decent hardware. Although technology has progressed since 2006. We're at the point now where you could never stick higher end graphics performance into a console simply because it would never be cost effective. We got cards rocking 4096 SPU's now compared to the 1152 inside the PS4. The gap between desktop PC hardware and consoles is widening for the simple fact that desktop hardware is quickly growing substantially stronger. The move from Cell and RSX to x86 and RISC was a big jump. Although console hardware now stands next to desktop hardware which makes people feel like it's weak-sauce in comparison. It's becoming a hardware race that consoles can't keep up with because of one primary factor, cost.

It's true. That's why gaming PCs are sold with 32gb of ram and a 550.

But seriously, who the he'll is this guy? And how did he get a job in a tech/game company if he clearly does not interstate how processors/memory/optimization works? That should be the real question.

- snip-