Experiences with non-techies

On 10/26/2017 at 3:41 AM, ArduinoBen said:

Kids at my school say PCs are cheaper than consoles when really, a $200 PC will be two times better than a $600 console.  That really triggers me.  Let's also not forget that consoles also need periphials.

Your comment is a little confusing.

Kids at your school say PC is cheaper than consoles...but then you go on to say that a $200 will be 2x better than a console 3x its price. To me, your comment is agreeing with them.

But I still have a problem with the statement. Build me a $200 PC brand new that matches a current generation console that's $600. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 27/11/2017 at 7:57 PM, Drak3 said:

Talked to an "expert" watercooler that has been doing ut before youtubers started doing videos on it. His single loop wasn't good enough to adequately cool the CPUs and GPUs on it

Goes to show that doing something for a long tine doesn't mean jack shit if you do it wrong.

yeah I saw that ...

I know people in the field (tech support and stuff) that have been doing this for years, and they still amaze me with idiotic BS from time to time!

which reminds me, I really need to start writing my stories in here again! xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

yeah I saw that ...

I know. You kinda cleaned the thread.

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

I know people in the field (tech support and stuff) that have been doing this for years, and they still amaze me with idiotic BS from time to time!

If  Construction has taught me anything, it's that one can have all the education and experience in the world, and still mess crap up constantly.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 10/30/2017 at 12:50 AM, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I don’t get the idea of people saying that putting a cellphone in 1080p will drastically improve its performance.

In games and other apps where it renders stuff, yes it will. But in terms of general UX? Not really. You’d actually notice a difference if you’d improve the storage I/O and CPU and even then, we’re at the levels where improvements aren’t as obvious.

Increasing the resolution would not increase performance. It might make things look sharper, but in video games, the phone would put out less frames, although it may not go below the display's refresh rate.

But it depends on how you define "performance."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Drak3 said:

[snip] If  Construction has taught me anything [snip]

don't start me on this subject ... as a homeowner I just don't trust ANY contractor after the shit I've seen while working for a few construction companies (years ago)!

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

don't start me on this subject ... as a homeowner I just don't trust ANY contractor after the shit I've seen while working for a few construction companies (years ago)!

Residential contractors are idiots. Commercial contractors are commercial contractors for a reason. Mostly because they're a different brand of stupid, but at least not as severely stupid.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Residential contractors are idiots. Commercial contractors are commercial contractors for a reason. Mostly because they're a different brand of stupid, but at least not as severely stupid.

Yeah, commercial contractors are more related to scammers rather than idiots, my wife is a mechanical engineer and work on commercial projects ... the stories she tells me are sometimes crazy!

I think the worst one was a project where the contractor decided to cheap out on a grease trap for a restaurant they were building, only problem is, the city inspector decided to lookup the one the contractor had installed since it didn't match the one specified in the plans, turns out the grease trap they had installed was some cheapo junk that wasn't even certified (needed DOT cert or something) ... don't remember exactly what happened (everyone got involved, the city, the architect, consulting firm, owner, etc...) and in the end, the contractor got in trouble and had to pull it out of the freshly cured concrete floor to install the one that specified on the plan because the city wouldn't let the restaurant open with the uncertified grease trap installed.

13 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Yeah, commenrcial contractors are more related to scammers rather than idiots, my wife is a mechanical engineer and work on commercial projects ... the stories she tells me are sometimes crazy!

I think the worst one was a project where the contractor decided to cheap out on a grease trap for a restaurant they were building, only problem is, the city inspector decided to lookup the one the contractor had installed since it didn't match the one specified in the plans, turns out the grease trap they had installed was some cheapo junk that wasn't even certified (needed DOT cert or something) ... don't remember exactly what happened (everyone got involved, the city, the architect, consulting firm, owner, etc...) and in the end, the contractor got in trouble and had to pull it out of the freshly cured concrete floor to install the one that specified on the plan because the city wouldn't let the restaurant open with the uncertified grease trap installed.

That's large companies like ESI or Petra. Smaller companies, like RRC, don't make changes unless something cannot work or the builder/owner approves of the changes. The one time they didn't (they OK'd Certainteed Symphony M rockwool black tile, which is almost unanimously agreed to look better by Cafe Zupas' employees and everyone that worked there, they got bit in the ass. USG Radar was what was called for.

Though a corporate shit from Petra bought into RRC with a 49% share, and brought a few bureaucrat supers with him. The jobs they run turn into shit shows 100% of the time, and Petra man has screwed over my company a few times, and when he signed on, everything became secretive whereas the previous owner called basically everyone when they broke ground and poured foundations.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Increasing the resolution would not increase performance. It might make things look sharper, but in video games, the phone would put out less frames, although it may not go below the display's refresh rate.

But it depends on how you define "performance."

I mean dropping from QHD to FHD

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I love how my dad still thinks i need help setting up Windows, even though i built my own PC, set up Windows, and got everything running by myself. Ive also troubleshooted his PC for crying out loud. 

I still need help resetting my Google account password or whatever account, when all it does it send a push notification to my phone :/

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Yeah, commercial contractors are more related to scammers rather than idiots, my wife is a mechanical engineer and work on commercial projects ... the stories she tells me are sometimes crazy!

Haha, I do construction with my dad and I agree with you. We spend more time fixing whoever worked on the project before (If this is an add-on or remodel) than the actual new work. It doesn't really make sense to attempt to cheap out in our opinion because getting caught and having to fix it costs more than what you probably would've saved.

That being said, we've seen stuff from multiple wires wired with nuts inside of walls, thinwall PVC, and being the one who had to replace the grease trap like in your story (The client fired the first guy after we told him the grease trap was no where near the correct capacity).

I think the most recent and memorable one was working at a restaurant and the electrician wired a three phase transformer incorrectly. They wired one of the power leads to neutral / ground, but luckily the transformer was never turned on (They got wired after we advised the client they were using undersized wire...we were just doing plumbing and HVAC but the corners the electrician kept cutting pissed us off that much...).

Oh, and every electrician that uses ground as a live wire...screw them. haha. I've been shocked so many times I don't trust green wires in existing buildings now.

A few days ago, a nontechie asked for help installing Chrome....

Later they asked if 2 hours of battery life was normal (they have a Kaby Lake i5 HP laptop)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

so i have had two,  extremely diffrent, experiences with guiding two of my friends through upgradeing their GPUs.

First friend is a gamer, and on black friday he asked me to pick him upgrades for his computer for about €500, ended up with a GTX 1080 for €499. Quite the upgrade from his GTX 970. I told him the quickest and simplest way to do it, he did exactly as i said and it was over in about 15min from starting to download to drivers installed, awesome for a guy that has never even touched a GPU before.

Second friend, sees him as a bit of a techy because he built his computer with his dad like 4 years ago and he has another techy friend i have never seen the light off that he aparently asks for everything. That friend was going to fix his computer to run 5GHz on the CPU(I7 4770K) and i told him i could delid and give him the LM for free if he wanted, seeing as i have a load spare, but no that was no good... i offered him litteraly free LiquidUltra but aparently it was not the right stuff whatever... anyway so with the GPU he was going from a R9 290 to a GTX 1080 and i told him the exact same stept and that doing it just like that would take maybe half an hour or so. 2h later he was still not done removeing the GPU driver with DDU...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Found this from the interwebz today.

1018201701510621838.png.53fae05bd3b06739efc0f073a7697e6e.png

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 11/30/2017 at 6:06 PM, Tcrumpen said:

IT Support Engineers have two problems

1) Dumb Users

2) Smart Users

On 11/30/2017 at 6:29 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

so i have had two,  extremely diffrent, experiences with guiding two of my friends through upgradeing their GPUs.

First friend is a gamer, and on black friday he asked me to pick him upgrades for his computer for about €500, ended up with a GTX 1080 for €499. Quite the upgrade from his GTX 970. I told him the quickest and simplest way to do it, he did exactly as i said and it was over in about 15min from starting to download to drivers installed, awesome for a guy that has never even touched a GPU before.

Second friend, sees him as a bit of a techy because he built his computer with his dad like 4 years ago and he has another techy friend i have never seen the light off that he aparently asks for everything. That friend was going to fix his computer to run 5GHz on the CPU(I7 4770K) and i told him i could delid and give him the LM for free if he wanted, seeing as i have a load spare, but no that was no good... i offered him litteraly free LiquidUltra but aparently it was not the right stuff whatever... anyway so with the GPU he was going from a R9 290 to a GTX 1080 and i told him the exact same stept and that doing it just like that would take maybe half an hour or so. 2h later he was still not done removeing the GPU driver with DDU...

See above

That's an F in the profile pic

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Found this from the interwebz today.

1018201701510621838.png.53fae05bd3b06739efc0f073a7697e6e.png

Error 404: Common Sense not found

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 11/29/2017 at 11:11 PM, NovaMan01 said:

I love how my dad still thinks i need help setting up Windows, even though i built my own PC, set up Windows, and got everything running by myself. Ive also troubleshooted his PC for crying out loud. 

Windows install and setup has gotten incredibly easy and quick over the years. So that is a bit surprising.

Am I wrong here???

I've always thought the 1050 replaces the 950M and the 1050 Ti replaces both the 960M and 965M.

Apparently, the 1050 replaces the 960M??

20171206_122407.jpg

20171206_122416.jpg

20171206_122429.jpg

18 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Am I wrong here???

From the Nvidia nomenclature perspective, no. x50 replaces the older x50 tier. Just like it has in the past, just like how it will in the future.

From OEM decision making, it depends on the OEM. Most did replace the 960m/965m with the 1050Ti for the most part, making you correct most times as far as OEM decision making is concerned.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

21 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

From the Nvidia nomenclature perspective, no. x50 replaces the older x50 tier. Just like it has in the past, just like how it will in the future.

From OEM decision making, it depends on the OEM. Most did replace the 960m/965m with the 1050Ti for the most part, making you correct most times as far as OEM decision making is concerned.

It's honestly a little confusing.

At one point, NVIDIA mentioned on the graph that the 1050 replaces the 950M, but they have since removed it.

20171206_141853.thumb.jpg.3c69a0b779918cc02ad6abb6f7972a69.jpg

Okay. I'm going to have to settle this once and for all. 

*WARNING: Long ass post*

I'm absolutely getting tired of people who keep telling me that "OMG, Y U NO BELIEB BIG YTER?!" because it's common sense that even big YouTubers will be wrong from time to time. They, like us, are human and we are imperfect.

Instead, let's take a look at the graph NVIDIA has posted on their website.

Screenshot_20171206-141923.thumb.jpg.2c019149fa32c15cde8547732012bd6b.jpg

Let's focus on the GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti portion.

If what you're saying is that the GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti replaces both the 960M and 965M respectively, then it doesn't add up. Let me explain.

NotebookCheck (which has usually been very reliable with their information) had these to say about the 1050 and 1050 Ti.

The performance of the GeForce GTX 1050 can vary quite a lot depending on the cooling performance of the laptop. It can be just as fast as the desktop model under ideal conditions, but the notebook model is usually a bit slower. The GeForce GTX 960M is beaten by around 30%, so the GTX 1050 is comparable to a GTX 965M in general. It is therefore an upper mainstream GPU. Games from 2016 can be played in high settings an the Full HD resolution.

The performance of the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti can vary quite a lot depending on the cooling performance of the laptop. It can be just as fast as the desktop model under ideal conditions. The GeForce GTX 965M and the regular GTX 1050 are beaten by around 30%, so the GTX 1050 Ti is comparable to a GTX 970M in general. It is therefore an upper mainstream GPU. Games from 2016 can be played in high settings an the Full HD resolution.

So, according to NotebookCheck, the performance of the 1050 and 1050 Ti are about equivalent to the 965M and 970M respectively. Keep that in mind as we analyze NVIDIA's graph.

20171206_142802.jpg.31c42d3ed2a76b3cee5acaf00d326b67.jpg

Look at the comparison between the "previous gen" GPU and those 2. If the 1050's performance is equivalent to the 965M and the 1050 Ti equivalent to a 970M, then something doesn't add up.

If the 1050 really does replace a 960M, then the performance delta shouldn't be that drastic, even compared to the "prior-gen" GPU the 1050 Ti is being compared to. If the replacement for the 965M is really the 1050 Ti, then the 1050 shouldn't be beating it by that amount. It honestly just doesn't add up. If the 1050 replaces a 960M and the Ti replacing a 965M, then the graph for the 1050 should be closer to that of the "prior-gen" GPU of the Ti, which after thinking about it, is more and more likely the 960M, not the 965M and that the "prior-gen" of the 1050 is a 950M, not a 960M.

20171206_143154.jpg.cfcaa006e99f416a37ef715f0202c2fd.jpg

I'll admit this isn't terribly scientific but it does at least make a bit of sense when you think about it...