Experiences with non-techies

Anyone has raid 5 advice for 4tb hdds

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

2 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

Anyone has raid 5 advice for 4tb hdds

Besides backup, backup, backup?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Besides backup, backup, backup?

Say I package it into a 7zip file with no compression, encrypt and upload to Google drive or something? And also which raid card should I get.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

And also which raid card should I get.

One that supports what you want out of the box, and has good review.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

One that supports what you want out of the box, and has good review.

No idea what I want besides a black pcb and which a good review.

Build

Spoiler

I worked as an install tech for Comcast for a while. My job was to run the coaxial line from the tap (pole or pedestal) to your house, make sure it's grounded properly, and get your modem working. Of course, I had plenty of people asking for or even demanding troubleshooting that wasn't my job. This got even worse when I got a little too good at my job and they put me in the pool of techs that do all service calls, not just installs. Some of my favorites:

-I loved the ones where they complain about their slow internet speed. I would get there, connect my phone to the 5Ghz wi-fi network, run a speedtest from the Comcast server while I'm standing next to the modem, and show them that they were getting the download they're paying for. Then they would ask, "why don't I get that on my computer?". I would walk to wherever their computer was, connect my phone to whichever wi-fi network their computer was on and run the test again. "Is that what you get on your computer?" "Yeah" "That's how wi-fi works."

- HDMI issues. I never realized the sheer magnitude of how many ways a loose cable or fucked up pin can manifest itself. No signal error, pink screen, static, audio digitization, all sorts of bullshit. I had so many calls where the customer wouldn't let me do anything until they explained why they were convinced it was the Comcast box, and then I would just replace the HDMI cable.

- Even better were the calls where all I had to do to "fix" their TV was change inputs on the remote. I got more of those than you might think.

- I had one old guy who said his internet wasn't working at all. I pulled up google.com in his browser. "Seems to be working. What made you think it wasn't?". He gets all confused because he doesn't have a clue what I just did. Then he logs in to Microsoft Outlook 2003 and explains that his email isn't working. So I send a test email to myself, and it gets a server error. I tell him "Sorry, it looks like either your server settings in Outlook got messed up your actual email server is having issues. I don't know how to fix that, I don't have time to figure it out, and it's not my job anyway. This looks like a work email, so I would ask around at your company if anybody knows who hosts your server and go from there." I spent 30 minutes trying to explain that his Comcast service was working fine and I can't troubleshoot his 20 year old email server that he can't give me any info on. He didn't even know what a browser was, the only thing he had ever used the internet for was Outlook 2003. Looking back, I probably should have just created a gmail account for him, transferred his contacts, and sent out a group email saying that it was his new email address. Would've taken the same time, and I'm pretty sure that his company he'd retired from didn't exist anymore and had just stopped hosting his email.

5a1a11d4bdf0d_Screenshot(5).png.4d60b5ad89f452804e77ab081cc687c7.png

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Is spotting someone wearing Phillips SPH9500 headphone in public count? cause i giggled at him.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

On 17/01/2013 at 5:47 AM, rainbrodash666 said:

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

EDIT: feel free to quote this comment, I like seeing peoples reactions even though the comment is 2+ years old.

Lmao, you shouldve just laughed your ass off and said "no" dont even need to feel bad.

5 hours ago, JDE said:

what

Build

Spoiler

My friend that grades himself as an "audiophile" but buys gaming headsets and even worse, theyre all from razer :,D 

he also doesn't know about the fundamentals of headphones and audio (dac,amp,impedance, everything that has got to do with Hz and decibels)

11 hours ago, JDE said:

just set it to never go to sleep? like just in the BIOS of almost all comptuers there should be an option for that... idk what this dude is on about tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

just set it to never go to sleep? like just in the BIOS of almost all comptuers there should be an option for that... idk what this dude is on about tbh

Precise

What is a precise hard drive.

Build

Spoiler

Help me...some one buy me a Vega 56

Build

Spoiler

So late night I had the most painful conversation with my old boss..he's a IT manager and I was slamming my head on the table. Basically its mostly thanks to Intels retarded naming with the i7 extremes, the newer i5/i7x and now the i9, combo that with Ryzen, Threadripper, EPYC it was painful trying to explain that 1151 hasn't been replaced by 2066 and there is a consumer and "enthusiast"/Xeon socket at the same time. 

Basically he was saying that Ryzen is bad value cause he'll have to buy a new chip in 2020 when he would rather buy a top of the range threadripper now and be good for years as its the "Latest" socket and he thought it replaced AM4.. 

do you know how hard it is trying to explain this to someone who is an IT manager and therefore knows everything

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

36 minutes ago, kk027 said:

Legend has it that 10000 rpm Hard Drives are the most precise storage mediums out there.

oooooh

Build

Spoiler

Talked to an "expert" watercooler that has been doing ut before youtubers started doing videos on it. His single loop wasn't good enough to adequately cool the CPUs and GPUs on it

Goes to show that doing something for a long tine doesn't mean jack shit if you do it wrong.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

22 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Talked to an "expert" watercooler that has been doing ut before youtubers started doing videos on it. His single loop wasn't good enough to adequately cool the CPUs and GPUs on it

Reasons I bought an AIO hahaha

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Reasons I bought an AIO hahaha

The thing is, a dual 360mm setup would be an exceptional loop for most CPUs and a single GPU, with both being overclocked.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

The thing is, a dual 360mm setup would be an exceptional loop for most CPUs and a single GPU, with both being overclocked.

Fair point, I didn't trust myself to not screw up a custom loop though lol

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

What kind of system can't dual 360s cool? Oh wait X299... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4587C296-4244-464B-A29D-C2A25AD034F5.jpeg.2bbc65533a064e56143689a0af3e0923.jpegF6560407-B727-48C5-88EE-CD72185C2833.thumb.jpeg.f3e501010b25ce8c7095f5b4d95cb5a2.jpeg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

i7 doesnt affect gaming.....1060 is worse than a 1050 ti

WHAT THE FUCK IS HE SMOKING

Build

Spoiler

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

i7 doesnt affect gaming.....1060 is worse than a 1050 ti

WHAT THE FUCK IS HE SMOKING

Nitroglycerin, hopefully.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel