Experiences with non-techies

9 hours ago, TheBIGGdogg1413 said:

my dad still thinks that siri is a small chick inside his phone the way he talks to her is so funny 

On that note, MS support had to sneak in a recommendation to use Cortana during my web support chat yesterday. Why would I want to use that? Unless Cortana could have reactivated my windows installation. 

Linus is my fetish.

So I built and sold a system for a guy, he clearly wasent that good with computers and stuff but I made sure I said i wont help him out, at least not for free, if he has any problems after he has had the system for a week. I got a call yesterday, about a day after he got it, and he told me CS:GO wouldnt run and he got a strange error. I gave him some basic troubleshooting steps, file integrety via steam and reinstalling graphics drivers using DDU to remove them. First one went smoothly and quickly but then it came to downloading DDU... Before he had it downloaded he managed to click two adds and install whatever they were and once he had the graphics driver reinstalled that didnt solve it anyway. So I took the computer back for troubleshooting and got it working and then I saw he had some "questionable" software on his desktop like stuff named "PC SPEEDUP" and "PC FIXER" and so on so I decided to run Malwarebytes. 314 problems and instances of malware.... HE HAS HAD THIS COMPUTER FOR NOT EVEN TWO DAYS!!! im just blown away how you even manage to get 300+ hits in Malwarebyes installed in just over a day...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 1/15/2013 at 11:12 PM, nillas12 said:

Thought it would be fun to make a topic about, all of our experiences with all the people, who doesn't really understand all the tech.

Note: Don't make this too harsh on them. You need to help them, not yell at them.

I'll go first:

So my mom has a daycare. And one day I am sitting on the floor with my laptop. And one of the kids, with real dirty hands come and put his hand on the screen. Guess he thought it was a touch screen. Still haven't gotten it off, and it was 3 months ago.

My grandmother is scared of getting rid of the computer, because she thinks it will cut the power to her house.

l man l would freak out if a little kid did that to my screen. and grandmothers are funny aren't they?

1 minute ago, Electronics For Fun said:

l man l would freak out if a little kid did that to my screen. and grandmothers are funny aren't they?

You do realize that post is from 2013, right?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 1/16/2013 at 1:30 AM, Tr3vor said:

my aunt who is constantly complaining about her slow Pentium 4 computer, and when people tell her to buy a new one already, she says "no its fine."

that's nothing, not too long ago my grandmother gave me her old computer which had an athlon 64 in it. obviously it was useless so l just made the CPU into a key chain. and she had an acer laptop that was running windows vista and it had a core duo processor with and an ATI 200 for it's graphics.

1 minute ago, Electronics For Fun said:

that's nothing, not too long ago my grandmother gave me her old computer which had an athlon 64 in it. obviously it was useless so l just made the CPU into a key chain. and she had an acer laptop that was running windows vista and it had a core duo processor with and an ATI 200 for it's graphics.

5 minutes ago, JDE said:

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

5 minutes ago, JDE said:

so? l just found it and wanted to reply. l am bored right now so l am just skimming through the forums.

42 minutes ago, kk027 said:

HeY, iT's 2013 SoMeWhErE, iSiN't It?

Every time someone sends a message like that, a couple of my brain cells die. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Every time someone sends a message like that, a couple of my brain cells die. 

iT's 2O13 iN aUsSy, RiGhT?

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 minute ago, JDE said:

iT's 2O13 iN aUsSy, RiGhT?

Ow pls

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, kk027 said:

iT's 2O1O iN eThOpIa.

ftfy

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

I have an experience with techies situation here. 

Was on the phone yesterday with my internet providers tech support due to a connectivity problem. They actually have an automated message when you ring recommending you to use the online chat support to help solve broadband connection issues. 

1 hour ago, William Payne said:

Was on the phone yesterday with my internet providers tech support due to a connectivity problem. They actually have an automated message when you ring recommending you to use the online chat support to help solve broadband connection issues. 

everytime you call my isp to fix their cables (which are dangled across trees..), they give you a two minute automated speech about restarting your router. :( unskipable.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, William Payne said:

My ISP just straight up doesn't respond ;)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

21 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

My ISP just straight up doesn't respond ;)

You don’t have a competing ISP?

That's an F in the profile pic

2 hours ago, Froody129 said:

You don’t have a competing ISP?

Not really, probably got someone but I can't say I care about it now because I'm getting a fiber connection at 500/500 as soon as the ground unfreezes

Builds:

Spoiler

Qvc all in one

"no cpu, no box"

"you couldn't get 4k without it"(referring to intel's 7th gen)

"intel's newest" (are they not on 8th gen?)

1 hour ago, TheGleaner said:

Qvc all in one

"no cpu, no box"

"you couldn't get 4k without it"(referring to intel's 7th gen)

"intel's newest" (are they not on 8th gen?)

Reminds me of Intel's incentives to currently try and shift their 7700k and 7600k - both are being bundled with two free games.

I randomly stumbled upon an advert saying 'Buy an Intel processor and get free games'.

Wait wut? I didn't get no free games with my 8700k ... Clicks .... Oh lol, its the shit ones only.

Linus is my fetish.

1 hour ago, Bhav said:

Reminds me of Intel's incentives to currently try and shift their 7700k and 7600k - both are being bundled with two free games.

I randomly stumbled upon an advert saying 'Buy an Intel processor and get free games'.

Wait wut? I didn't get no free games with my 8700k ... Clicks .... Oh lol, its the shit ones only.

I got ghost recon with my 1070 and I couldn't even high at 1440p

:( It's a shit game too. dunno what the fuck is going on 97% of the time. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Oh I remembered one from back when I worked in a supermarket.

A customer comes up to me with a DVD player / recorder with 20 Gb storage thinking he's so clever with a patronising grin and voice:

'>LOL< How come this says it has a hard drive? That can't be right, its a DVD player not a PC >LOL<'

ITS FOR RECORDING YOUR TV FOR DELAYED VIEWING YOU FREAKING *******

Well I didn't actually say that but I wish I could have.

They were also only £19, deal of the day / week, limited stocks, selling out super fast, but one person has to have a problem and whine about a DVD player having a 20 Gb hard drive.

I believe you could also record TV to the hard drive, then burn stuff to DVDs with it. For £19. Like why are you even asking questions? Just buy that shit if you want to record TV shows.

Linus is my fetish.

3 hours ago, Bhav said:

Ok this made me laugh, its funny how quickly things get put in the crap basket once the new one comes out even though it was king only months ago.

21 minutes ago, William Payne said:

Ok this made me laugh, its funny how quickly things get put in the crap basket once the new one comes out even though it was king only months ago.

Well that's the thing, why buy a 7600k or 7700k over their new hex core replacements? Unless you want to upgrade an earlier 1151 board with one, but if youre buying a new board too they're now crap.

£250 for an 8600k, Intel are now desperate to still sell their remaining series 7 chips LOL.

Linus is my fetish.

8 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Intel are now desperate to still sell their remaining series 7 chips LOL.

Intel isn't. They sold the vast majority to retailers long before Coffee. What's left can be reconfig'd as locked SKU i3, Pentium, and Celeron chips.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Intel isn't. They sold the vast majority to retailers long before Coffee. What's left can be reconfig'd as locked SKU i3, Pentium, and Celeron chips.

Then why aren't the bundled games also offered with coffee lake CPUs?

Linus is my fetish.