Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Read the parts that I talked to Zando and Banana about, in regards to resolution. I personally have no issur with it.

I did and honestly, can’t agree more. At the distance you’ll likely be using it, it’s fine.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 1/16/2013 at 7:12 AM, nillas12 said:

Thought it would be fun to make a topic about, all of our experiences with all the people, who doesn't really understand all the tech.

Note: Don't make this too harsh on them. You need to help them, not yell at them.

I'll go first:

So my mom has a daycare. And one day I am sitting on the floor with my laptop. And one of the kids, with real dirty hands come and put his hand on the screen. Guess he thought it was a touch screen. Still haven't gotten it off, and it was 3 months ago.

My grandmother is scared of getting rid of the computer, because she thinks it will cut the power to her house.

My entire job is dealing with non techies

Sometimes it's rewarding to try and 'teach' them tech stuff but other times is frustrating as all hell when they want to know what the problem is and even my most "dumbed down" version still goes over their head

35 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Ive noticed the resolution maybe twice, and I don't even care. Even if they put a better screen in games would still run at 720p unless they dropped it to 30 fps, which 60 fps games on the switch are partially more enjoyable than Zelda because of that.

Yup. I wont reveal who it is here but yea....

Not to mention a higher res screen would kill battery life, unless they went with OLED, but then monies and burn in issues. And 30fps is fine on consoles, lots of the time I hardly notice how "terrible" the framerate is. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 11/1/2017 at 2:19 AM, Rodinski said:

For some reason, people tell me the color of their computer as if it makes it faster or something. 

"Ya, I have the HP red one, really fast." 

"k." 

They're referencing the color of their computer cause they think that the speed of the specific wavelength of light is gonna make their CPU/GPU run faster or that the color of the bezel is gonna give them a higher refresh rate

My grandad seems to think keeping something on standby somehow ruins it, so he turns of his phone when he isn't using it (shuts it down...) so I can never get through to him :P  

Same story with his laptop, so I installed an SSD and now he doesn't have to wait as long to play Candy Crush or whatever retired pensioners do all day :)

My granny listens to me and doesn't care about leaving her phone on, but my grandad usually turns it off if he sees :P

If you’re interested in spending nearly 20 minutes of your life watching someone read out comments made by idiots and then cringe and correcting them, be my guest.

https://youtu.be/9jU0YwRTvrc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

12 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

If you’re interested in spending nearly 20 minutes of your life watching someone read out comments made by idiots and then cringe and correcting them, be my guest.

Did you just try to sum up 90% of You Tube by chance?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

In a computer subject at school, we were 'learning' about the different parts of a computer.

According to my teacher, a computer consists of:

a monitor

a keyboard

a mouse

a printer

speakers

a modem

and a "hard drive" (he meant the pc/desktop/case with all the parts)

in the same class we had a substitute teacher. She didn't know what hardware was and thought that they were "computer bits"

My teacher closed and reopened ie to refresh the page

another teacher thought that her thinkpad with an i7 was bad, but the school's desktop with a core 2 duo was good.

19 minutes ago, Reppiy said:

In a computer subject at school, we were 'learning' about the different parts of a computer.

a monitor

a keyboard

a mouse

a printer

speakers

a modem

in the same class we had a substitute teacher. She didn't know what hardware was and thought that they were "computer bits"

another teacher thought that her thinkpad with an i7 was bad, but the school's desktop with a core 2 duo was good.

why did i just take a graphics card out of a sleeping computer?

13 hours ago, dave3818 said:

My grandad seems to think keeping something on standby somehow ruins it, so he turns of his phone when he isn't using it (shuts it down...) so I can never get through to him :P  

Same story with his laptop, so I installed an SSD and now he doesn't have to wait as long to play Candy Crush or whatever retired pensioners do all day :)

My granny listens to me and doesn't care about leaving her phone on, but my grandad usually turns it off if he sees :P

Well it would put less wear on the battery, but in theory shutting it off like that is actually bad for the the hardware because of the rapid heating and cooling cycles. Not really a practical concern though. His battery must last like a week xD

That's an F in the profile pic

4 hours ago, Reppiy said:

a monitor

a keyboard

a mouse

a printer

speakers

a modem

Why u allowed to teach.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

15 hours ago, dave3818 said:

That's cute

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

4 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

Why u allowed to teach.

My school has such a low budget that when computers were made compulsory in the Australian curriculum last year they got a maths teacher and a French teacher to teach it.

at least i convinced my teacher to let me do python programming instead of scratch.

Here’s another story:

when I was in primary school, the year 3s had some “programming” incursion, and then they had to talk about it at assembly.

They said: “people use scratch to program everything. Minecraft was made with scratch. Pokémon was made with scratch. All computers are made with scratch.”

11 minutes ago, Reppiy said:

My school has such a low budget that when computers were made compulsory in the Australian curriculum last year they got a maths teacher and a French teacher to teach it.

at least i convinced my teacher to let me do python programming instead of scratch.

Here’s another story:

when I was in primary school, the year 3s had some “programming” incursion, and then they had to talk about it at assembly.

They said: “people use scratch to program everything. Minecraft was made with scratch. Pokémon was made with scratch. All computers are made with scratch.”

scratch physically hurts to program in. thats just a fact.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yeah, um, a 1050 Ti can’t bottleneck a 7700.

521B3D01-E00F-4BDB-B23F-75F5A1F95D8F.jpeg

10 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

scratch physically hurts to program in. thats just a fact.

It has its use cases.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

1 hour ago, Nuluvius said:

It has its use cases.

What can be done in scratch that would make anyone use it... It's not even that good of a block programming language

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

What can be done in scratch that would make anyone use it... It's not even that good of a block programming language

It's good for children because it's tactile. Though I'm excited about Luna.

I had a family member that did not know about bookmarks so every time they has a site they liked she was writing them down, her friend then told her that they was a note pad program. That was better then the physical notebook, but the day I showed her bookmarks started the day of almost daily calls for computer help, it was fun lol

18 minutes ago, KonnorNS said:

I had a family member that did not know about bookmarks so every time they has a site they liked she was writing them down, her friend then told her that they was a note pad program. That was better then the physical notebook, but the day I showed her bookmarks started the day of almost daily calls for computer help, it was fun lol

I knew someone like that once, if they liked a site then they'd try to dump the whole thing locally, to the desktop. The result was that the desktop was a wall of html pages... It was a sad story indeed.

11 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

I knew someone like that once, if they liked a site then they'd try to dump the whole thing locally, to the desktop. The result was that the desktop was a wall of html pages... It was a sad story indeed.

o what a mess LOL

On 10/26/2017 at 4:30 PM, Nuluvius said:

Uv9Co5i.gif

It looks like something else of this man has been triggered....

"Now that you're on wireless, you'll be using up more bandwidth." - My brother when I got a new computer with a wireless card, 2013

"You're on ethernet now? That's not fair, you're plugged right into the router soaking up all the bandwidth!" - My brother when I got a powerline adapter for my computer, 2017

[witty signature]

So we are doing 3d printing and she was talking about the .STL file and a kid screamed STD!!!! She said "Oh stl std whatever you wanna call it." She has called it a .STD for the rest of class so far. Any other teacher stories that made you laugh till you cry.

I like pie.

4 minutes ago, Windows Server 2003 said:

So we are doing 3d printing and she was talking about the .STL file and a kid screamed STD!!!! She said "Oh stl std whatever you wanna call it." She has called it a .STD for the rest of class so far. Any other teacher stories that made you laugh till you cry.

make sure you just dont insert the file where she got her education...

Builds:

Spoiler