Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

What are some bad experiences you've had with tech in a week or day?

Well within the past few weeks I sent my dead strix 970 to get rma'd which is ok... Then over the weekend my SSD died. So I am using my second rig, I decide hey, lets partition one of the hdds in it and have a temp install of Windows 7 until I get a replacement SSD... After 4-5 hours of getting everything on it since my internet is a POS, I got it how I wanted it. Shut it down to connect everything I needed and to shut down my second rig... Well, connect everything back up, windows corrupts itself... I check my phone, and it falls in the dead center face first on a door hinge to my closet door... Smashed it right in the dead center...

So now, I'm stuck with this second rig again which the 8120 and 7770 hold me back quite a bit on, and my phones screen is shattered to add onto its power button needing to be popped into place weekly, and it artifacting randomly... Even when at the lock screen.

Note: it is not stuck at a white screen, my webcam just picked up the crack better with it sitting at a white page.

IAii1t9.jpg

I can top you man. I fried my 280x. Shattered my nexus 5 screen. Fried my SSD due to a leak. Fried 2 4TB HDDs due to the same leak. Broke BRAND NEW laptop screen cause some idiot at my college drunkenly punched my back where my laptop was.

This was across 2 days..

Edited by Jarirx

My internet keeps cutting out and programs won't load. I'm about ready to borrow a shotgun and a case of shells for this freaking thing.

a kid at school broke my BRAND NEW FUCKING tablet screen I paid a fairly large sum of money for. He didnt do it on purpose though. but I feel sorry for you, I cannot top that right now...

I can top you man. I fried my 280x. Shattered my nexus 5 screen. Fried my SSD due to a leak. Fried 2 4TB HDDs due to the same leak. Broke BRAND NEW laptop screen cause some idiot at my college drunkenly punched my back where my laptop was.

This was across 2 days..

my friend had a doa 280x, motherboard, and he managed to bend his i5... Thank god amazon accepted that refund.

@AlwaysFSX, I know those feels. That's why my windows 7 took 5 hours to install... 4 hours for 970s drivers, then another hour to install programs I use.

Edited by Darkman

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

my friend had a doa 280x, motherboard, and he managed to bend his i5... Thank god amazon accepted that refund.

Wait.. HOW THE F DO YOU BEND A I5... HOW.. I've tried to bend a celeron.. ITS HARD

The worst tech related thing that happened to me lately was going to school and forgetting to charge my MacBook :/ So I got an unprepared for like 3 of my classes :/

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I put my secondary rig together this week, no output. I think the GPU is fried (aka the only part worth anything in it)

I put my secondary rig together this week, no output. I think the GPU is fried (aka the only part worth anything in it)

Whats the rig?

I was cleaning out my computer when everything was in the case (AKA everything was upright) and then I took out the RAM for the first time since I built it, the DIMM literally popped out and fell onto the floor.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

how about two DOA routers in a row? the store guy was speechless.

Well, worst things that have happened recently:

- Acer 24" 1080p monitor power button started being an absolute fucking pain in the ass to get working, took maybe 50 presses for the damn thing to actually register the press (So now I just leave my monitors on 24/7 and put tape over the lights to show they're on, they go into "sleep" mode when my PC is off/asleep which is nice.)

- And today when I woke up my phone (HTC Evo 4g lte) was working perfectly fine, I regularly use it as an alarm clock and such and it was going off when it was supposed to, then during one of my classes I managed to sort of turn too soon and smack my leg into a table (with my phone between my leg and the table), and somehow that managed to kill it. Battery wasn't dead or anything, screen wasn't cracked, just doesn't work anymore... Though it was getting towards the time where I needed to get an upgrade anyways.. (Planning on either an Xperia Z3 if I can find it on sale for a pretty low amount, or a Zenfone 2 64GB)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Whats the rig?

E5800 Pentium R, 4gb DDR3, modded XFX 5770, FTC Aurora case, 520w Dynex PSU, 320gb WD Blue

Once I fix it I'm selling it for $200

those who know me see the struggle i go through , every week something seems to give up on life in my pc .... first it was an ssd , then another , then a 290x ... then an hd7950 , then my 980 , and now my 980ti .... 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

those who know me see the struggle i go through , every week something seems to give up on life in my pc .... first it was an ssd , then another , then a 290x ... then an hd7950 , then my 980 , and now my 980ti .... 

If you have warranty its ok. 

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

My PC wouldn't boot past the POST screen this morning. After faffing around with a Windows disk & attempting to boot from the CD drive it just decided to work. I think I have dying hardware :/

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

A couple years ago (somewhere in 2011 IIRC) one of the 4 SSD units of my 240GB OCZ Revodrive X2 died, thereby breaking the drive's built-in RAID array. 

So I took it out of the PC to RMA it and installed Windows on my old 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 ... which bricked itself on the first reboot. 

That was both my SSDs dead within an hour, and those things were effin expensive BITD. 

A couple years ago (somewhere in 2011 IIRC) one of the 4 SSD units of my 240GB OCZ Revodrive X2 died, thereby breaking the drive's built-in RAID array.

So I took it out of the PC to RMA it and installed Windows on my old 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 ... which bricked itself on the first reboot.

That was both my SSDs dead within an hour, and those things were effin expensive BITD.

Is that human error. Or hardware issues though...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Is that human error. Or hardware issues though...

Definitely hardware issues. The Revodrive was running just fine for months when it suddenly failed to boot. The BIOS showed that it now consisted of 3 seperate 60GB SSDs rather than a 240GB RAID array, so obviously one of the 4 modules had died.

As for the Vertex 2, those were notorious for bricking. I just had the misfortune that mine bricked itself on the same day that the Revodrive broke.

EDIT : Dafuq? How come this is suddenly in "worst tech mistake you ever made" ?

Which retard merged those threads? They were NOTHING alike ! Bad experience =/= mistakes you made yourself.

Definitely hardware issues. The Revodrive was running just fine for months when it suddenly failed to boot. The BIOS showed that it now consisted of 3 seperate 60GB SSDs rather than a 240GB RAID array, so obviously one of the 4 modules had died.

As for the Vertex 2, those were notorious for bricking. I just had the misfortune that mine bricked itself on the same day that the Revodrive broke.

That does not sound fun...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I let my computer run for two weeks without any airflow inside the case apart from the CPU cooler. At first I was amazed by how silent my PC is especially with the crappy stock fans. I only realized later on when I opened the side panel whilst the machine was on, that the fans were not spinning. Turns out I connected the headers the wrong way on my motherboard. 

Once on my old P4 rig a pushpin on the heatsink of my 7600GS came out. I used it like that for a week, getting really confused by the low FPS I was getting until I opened a temp program and saw that it was getting far too hot.

Also once I forgot to plug the fans back in on my second GPU. I didn't notice for months since I don't play games that use both GPUs very often. I only noticed when I swapped them around to see if that would fix a different issue and after a few minutes of gaming it would throttle to like half speed.

When I delidded the Core 2 (Something like 2.6GHz) that was in my low pro HP I somehow cracked the die. I did get a nice addition to my keychain out of it and after I asked my teacher if he had any spare Core 2s to replace it around I ended up with another, better, low pro HP with a 2.9GHz. So, yeah.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Buying two 7970's, by far the worst technology choice I have ever made. Months of crashing drivers, no crossfire scaling and when they did release crossfire there was enormous amounts of microstutter that while the frame rate listed looked good the performance was atrocious. It nearly drove me from playing games altogether until finally 6 months later I gave up raising bugs with AMD on all the different issues (I got to 27 different ones) and just bought a pair of 680s and it was night and day better.

That bad choice cost me a small fortune especially including all the waterblocks for the cards.

An asus memo pad 8 (last gen) It is ok but it is just soooooo slow because of its rockchip. But the new ones and other models have intel atoms which, from my experience with the dell venue 7 3730 just smoke android

still have mine, had to send it back twice within the first 8 months of buying it. Both RMA were done without any problems but still! I don't think it's normal to have to replace a motherboard twice on the same device!

Oh and yeah it's slow! Worst purchase EVAR!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Steam hands down steam is the worst, I try to play CS:GO offline it says trying to connect to server and stays like that for at least 30 seconds, trying to play offline some guys wont, trying to family share with my brother he cant play with me ????? I just love GOG.com GOG.com is love GOG.com is life.

You know steam sharing doesn't allow two people to play the same copy right? That being said for csgo if you share it the person you share it to can't play online I even if you aren't online which makes sharing csgo basically useless