Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

2. after i finished my first build i wanted to test the cpu temperature

didnt know how to use BIOS or any monitoring software

so i removed the cooler and used a thermometer to check the temp

LMAO, that is so cute.

giphy.gif

Thankfully (I think) I don't have any stories like that. The worst I've done is forgetting to turn on the switch at the back of the PSU and troubleshooting parts for hours before realizing it.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Used an old tube of Dynex thermal compound that had been open for the past year...

Came out all crusty but I thought it was normal so I used it, and a lot of it (I had watched one vid)- I asked my dad about it, who laughed.

It took me half a fucking hour to completely clean off the compacted, hardened compound from the cpu

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

I once put a motherboard in the dishwasher thinking it would boost performance when I was eight.

Putting a new meaning to "Clean my PC"

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

Bought each part one by one.

Cheaped out on stuff I shouldn't have.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I've only built 2 PCs one was a basic office computer for my sister to save her $300 ( was nearly the same computer except from brands I trust and more reliable parts ) and a budget PC for my cousin.

Pretty much I forgot to plug in the 8-pin CPU connector and got scared because when I first hit the power buttons the fans slightly spun on everything but stopped so I didn't know what to do, got scared and thought the mother board was dead but I happened to catch a glance and seen nothing was plugged into the 8-pin CPU

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I bent the pins on a cpu I bought to replace the prebuilt machine's
thankfully I was able to bend them back into place with the power of a credit card, a steak knife, and a shit load of patience

I also bought a psu from coolmax (which at the time I didnt know was a mistake) it still runs, but its kind of running my main machine, I need to replace it just in case

purchased a crummy small case that didn't fit my entire PC lol. I might upgrade to a newer M-ATX motherboard for my FX-6300.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Forgot to put thermal paste on my cooler :rolleyes:

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Bought a shoddy PSU that blew up and put out smoke. Luckly didn't take anything with it.

Can't stop the game train though, here's what it looked like for awhile afterwards 0ujmTnt.jpg

Then I put it like this. MOPIzht.jpg

Cant say I did anything stupid really, my dad taught me most everything he knew and double checked everything on my first build so after that it was all a no brainer for me.

Sorry. I guess payed attention to well  for any good stories.

*Edit to add;

I guess the only one I can remember was after buying the mobo I had to wait 6 months to get the graphics card but for some reason the gpu burned out the mobo as the power draw was to much for it even tho I could have sworn the specs said it supported the gpu's power req. had to replace the board twice as the the first replacement was DOA.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

That's new xD 

When I started, I would check the recommended PSU wattage from the GPU manufacturers website instead using logic and math 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I stuck a screwdriver into a RAM slot.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I once put a motherboard in the dishwasher thinking it would boost performance when I was eight.

What? Why? Who told you that, I must try!!!

1. (guess this one doesnt really count as "building")

a few years ago i had a pre-built pentium 4 pc and one day i was cleaning it

i took out the cpu cooler and saw the thermal interface compound

i thought it was dust build up so i removed all the TIM and polished the cpu surface

turned the computer back on and it died after 2 hours :(

3. when i built my custom watercooling loop i heard about push pull

so i pointed two fans at each other thinking i was getting tons of performance

what did you guys do during your journey?

Installed the memory backwards

added AS5 to a stock cooler without removing the preapplied TIM

fused together a stand off and a screw of the mobo (multiples times)

mounted the backplate of a cooler without realizing it was stuck on the backplate of the mobo

forgot to plug in the 8 pin and 6 pin of the gpu to the PSU (Hours troubleshooting...)

Bought a piece of shit case from Sentey, horrible, just, horrible, after sawing multiple pieces off i eventually bought another case

That's all i can remember for now, i have made more, that's how learned tho :P

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Built it on my carpet... -_-

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I did that, but luckily nothing was struck by finger lightning...

Put ram in the wrong way, pushed as hard as I could, cracked in half, cried :'(

Did that too! Thankfully it was my first build and was too much of a pussy to push hard.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I did that, but luckily nothing was struck by finger lightning...

Same, I would be so lost as to why nothing booted up afterwards

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

i did that several times

"MOM WHY DID YOU BUY THIS **** MOTHERBOARD THAT MAKES SMOKE?"

I wanted an even thermal paste distribution so I used my finger.

I now use the dot method.

I also literally always build on carpet. ~20 computers in and no issue yet!

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.