Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Buying an FX-8350 rather than waiting 2 weeks for another paycheck and getting an i7. That or buying a GTX 650 Ti with 1GB of VRAM. 

My first major mistake occured in my first foray into the world of custom loop watercooling, about 2 years ago. I spilled coolant on my desk and turned to grab something to wipe my hands. I forgot i had my compute right beside me and i knocked it over. The force of the fall snapped my motherboard in two, but somehow none of the fluid escaped my system and none of the other components got damaged.

used a aio liquid cooler in a case that didnt support it . My pc looks so ghetto now.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Did not check if there were enough sata cables when I did buy my computer, so I was 1 short...

and the other thing I can remember is I sat on my MSI laptop when it was on a non flat chair, so when I looked at it it was very bent... its of plastic so it was ok, but because the battery was popped halfway out on one side, I had to force out the battery on  the lock things. small part of the place where the battery is hold in to place is broken, so only the lock thing hold it in to place on one of the sides. After the battery was out, my compute looked fine except the plastic frame around the screen is little bit loose right under the screen.

I am surprised it didnt take more damage. 

one thing I regret now is that I didnt take a picture before I forced the battery out...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Back in 09, I forgot to take the plastic cover off the bottom of the heatsink on my first PC build. It was for my Dad. Phenom II x4. Installed Windows and ran like a champ. It cut power whenever I tried running Crysis and League of Legends. I tested the power supply, reseated RAM and connections. Since my dad didn't game, it wasn't a huge issue. I figured out the issue almost 6 months later. The CPUs lettering had been burned into the plastic. The plastic never melted completely and the PC has been running daily since then. My sisters use it to browse the web and play Sims 2.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

installed a hackintosh distro onto my main windows hard drive. :(

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

that was rather depressing....

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

there are so many things... i cant even name them all..

544 pages whaaaat

But I bought a Corsair CX PSU and a GTX 960... Two of the worst buys of my life.

I shorted my old GTX 660, I was too distracted with other things and didn't think to ground myself.

I also like to drink coffee while on my PC, so my keyboard has some stains, same with my mousepad.

And I'll never forget when I dropped my PC onto my deck when taking it outside to dust the inside. My HDD fell out and the GTX 660 which I later shorted got some serious battle scars because I didn't install the screws on the PCIe bracket.

I bought an hp desktop before I started building my own and hated it.

I ghetto modded the shit out of my hp PC :P

Still so bad

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Had an old i386 computer that i wanted to run for some reason. Had it partially out of the case, turned it on, HDD in hand and because I watned to move i put it down. On the case. Magic blue smoke escaped. And that was my only drive that would work with this computer. 

Far cry 4 , not even kidding

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Problems where I get sound problems (stuttering) in some games, mostly in cutscenes,(only Xcom: Enemy Unkown/Within and Thief) 2k games support that it was Windows errors (sfc /scannow does not work) so I probably have to do a clean install of windows, and then 70 hours+ of downloading stuff.

Send PM or something if someone know something else I can try first.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Did you fix it?

Yeah thankfully, The crypto-lock didn't lock activities from a "client" we install on every machine, only any user input etc. So I managed to get that to trigger a snapshot on the files and back them all up so I could just re-image the machine and restore said files (files were ran through the Symantic server we have and it cleaned it all out thankfully)

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

I ran a hard drive benchmark i found on google on my 2 week old laptop, bsod and then no boot. It had somehow managed to delete the partition list... spent 2 weeks finding something I could boot with and rewrite the list!

The no post syndrome, it's like your girlfriend's pissed off at you at something but not telling you what it is

Details separate people.

i once had to flash an OS onto a cheap chinese knock off tablet for my gandmother. hunting down the .rom, or whatever it was (i don't even remember) was half the battle. 

it ran some android compatible OS, but was developed by some chinese company that only makes that tablet, and one model of window mounted air conditioner. THAT'S ALL THAT COMPANY MAKES. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Far cry 4 , not even kidding

oh dear god. that game and SLI are like a plane-train wreck.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

I forgot the password to my Windows 2012 Server.. and I dont have a disc drive to put in the OS disc

It took me like 23 hours to download from Microsofts shitty servers and I cant seem to get the ISO to make a live USB

kill me

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Let's hear your stories lads.

I once bought a Raidmax PSU for the same price as an EVGA b2 *shudders*

Edit: Changed to Blunders instead of Scams

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

Have not fallen for any.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)