Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Sorry guys, but going AMD. Luckily I've completely migrated to Intel now though. 

Also I bought the awful Comander MS-iii case from thermaltake to start. 

And I bought one of those awful dodgy PSUs 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Ouch I find it hard even on 120gb

Meh, that 60GB is enough if you don't install any games. I got a 128GB too sadly, next time i'll go with one 256GB for OS and one 512GB for games  ;)

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

buying a fx 6300 and expecting bf4 to run well :/

What do you mean by well? I get a good 80fps on mixed high and ultra 1080p, R9 280x oc'ed.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

What do you mean by well? I get a good 80fps on mixed high and ultra 1080p, R9 280x oc'ed.

With my r9 270 with high/ultra settings I get ~60 fps, but because of my cpu there are alot of drops.

System: CPU - I5-6500 Motherboard - Asus B150M-A RAM - Crucial ballistix sport 2x4GB DDR4 @2400MHz GPU - RX 480 PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W Case - Aerocool Aero-800 HDD - Seagate 1TB SSD - PNY CS1311 120GB Monitor - AOC G2260VWQ6

1. Going with AM3+ instead of 1155(I play WoT, it uses 1 core only), even i3 would have been good enough, my FX is =i3-3220

2. Buying mpeg2 TV tuner, I thought it's essential because it was mentioned in the configurator(I was 12)

3. Accidentally kicking my case when turning around(it's close to my feet)

4. Buying ThinkPad Edge 15 for gaming(i3-370M, no dedicated gpu.) Just because it's new I thought it would play every game, I was an idiot.

5. Defragmentating the HDD of the Lenovo every day to make it go faster, downloading ton of crap(game booster, msi afterburner, gpu tweak)also updating the pirate copy of win 7 ultimate every day, eventually the laptop stopped at "welcome" and didn't go in desktop.

i always kick my case and knock it off its stand a few times a day by accident. i never had a problem yet lol

9 Out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music of Tetris

I was building a PC for my dad and put in a corsair PSU, I needed an extra sata and grabbed one out of another corsair bag for my own PSU, didn't check the pins.... Womp womp.

2 hard drives lost their lives that day.

bought a wrong size casing (cosmos se.) , where the video card was touching the hdd cages ...

When I was in around 10 I thought I would fix my slow family copmuter by cleaning the dust out. So, I went and got our upright Dyson, attached the soft bristle brush and went to town on the inside of our Inspiron 530. I even went as far as to remove our GeForce 8300GS and give that a good vaccuum all around. When it came time to turn it back on, I was presented with a crazy display of dead graphics card video output; it never even made it to the Vista login screen.

Buying Razer products....

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

A very very long time ago, I must have been no older than 6 at the time (I'm almost 23 now). I plugged a 4-pin floppy in upside down into a floppy drive, and at the same time flipped the little red switch on the back from 250v to 120v. 

Results:

Dead Floppy Drive

Dead Motherboard

Dead CPU

Dead RAM

Dead Hard Drive

CD Drive miraculously survived.

This was to my mum's computer back in the day

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

Getting 120 gb ssd trust me im struggling fpr space going to have to upgrade

Buying a 150 dollar agp hd4670 for my pentium 4 rig in 2010 lolz.

Sent from my brain using my fingers!

(>'_')>

I bought a prebuilt. Enough said!

"If you always say no, you'll never say yes."

For got to use the screws that raise the mother board off of the case it was in. Almost plugged it in to, until i noticed that it was sitting a little low in the case.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)~~▲▲▲▲~~CanyonCoolMan~~▲▲▲▲~~( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Bought a cheap PSU for my first build, it died and nearly fried the whole system.

I bought a prebuilt. Enough said!

There are good prebuilds, you know.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

During my first build ever, my computer wouldn't post. I read all around to see what the issue could be, and since I wasn't getting any kind of beeps, I figured out it was the CPU. I went to unmount it, but the CPU fan/heatsink would not come off. I pulled as hard as I could until eventually I ripped the CPU out of the socket of the motherboard. The CPU went flying through the air and of course landed on the pin side. R.I.P. AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition, and around $170.

Shooting compressed air into my power supply, I shot it and the straw shot into the power supply xD and broke the fan. So long story short Microcenter didn't have a 2 pin fan so I had to solder one together. 

buying a brand new hp laptop which runs like shit :l and i can not even return it

Went to flash a bios on my old AMD PC, a loud pop and a short circuit later it was dead.

• 1 month later...

What are some bad experiences you've had with tech in a week or day?

Well within the past few weeks I sent my dead strix 970 to get rma'd which is ok... Then over the weekend my SSD died. So I am using my second rig, I decide hey, lets partition one of the hdds in it and have a temp install of Windows 7 until I get a replacement SSD... After 4-5 hours of getting everything on it since my internet is a POS, I got it how I wanted it. Shut it down to connect everything I needed and to shut down my second rig... Well, connect everything back up, windows corrupts itself... I check my phone, and it falls in the dead center face first on a door hinge to my closet door... Smashed it right in the dead center...

So now, I'm stuck with this second rig again which the 8120 and 7770 hold me back quite a bit on, and my phones screen is shattered to add onto its power button needing to be popped into place weekly, and it artifacting randomly... Even when at the lock screen.

Note: it is not stuck at a white screen, my webcam just picked up the crack better with it sitting at a white page.

IAii1t9.jpg

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.