Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

When i built my first computer i took off all the mounted motherboard risers because i thought i didn't need them. computer worked fine until i found out i needed them to prevent my motherboard from dying from electric shock. 

Thanks for your storry !

Forgot to plus 8pin to my graphic card, but the 6 was connected ! And i lost maybe 2 hours trying to figure out what was the problem !

Also my case is not large enough so both of them are actually touching the sidedoor ...

I used to clean RAM slots by sliding screw driver over the slot

Desktop:

CPU : i5 4440 | Motherboard : Gigabyte B85M-D3H | RAM : Kingstone HyperX blu 4GB x2 | GPU : Asus R9 280X DC II Top [RIP 2017] | PSU : Corsair VS 550W | Display(s) : Dell S2240L | Mouse : Logitech G400s | Operating System : Windows 7 64bit

Laptop:

Acer Predator Helios 300 (CPU: Intel Core i5 7300HQ | GPU: GTX 1050ti | RAM: 16GB RAM | Operating System: Windows 10 64bit)

Built mine on a carpet. Thankfully, nothing shorted out, but I now realize how careless I was!

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Well, first off with an old PC that we were getting rid of. I also found the thermal paste but I removed it with my fingers. Somehow never had a heat problem though. Then before i knew how hot CPUs get i figured "hey, why don't i put my finger on it and then start it up?" Later on my parents PC i was troubleshooting ram and i, like an idiot, attempted to put a stick in while the PC was on. And the ram was backwards so i ended up shorting the mobo but somehow the ram still works fine x) life of luck over here x)

Way to much thermal paste.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K OC @ 4.4 GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 | GPU: 2x SLI Gigabyte GTX 760 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x4GB 1866 | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 750W | Storage: A-Data XPG 120GB  & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Arch GNU/Linux || PC Part Picker & 3D Mark Score

I don't think I ever made any mistakes. I always watch 150 tutorials for the simplest stuff just to make sure I'm doing it right.

Telling bad jokes since 1996

Intel i5 3470/ Asus P8B75-V / 8GB 1333mhz cheap ass Kingston Ram  / XFX R9 390 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB / Crucial MX 100 256GB / Antec EA650W / Samsung SyncMaster P2370 / Steelseries Apex [RAW] / Logitech G400s / NZXT Phantom White / Moto G 2015 8GB

Isn't exactly when I started building computers, but I had a windows 8 iso and I tried to boot off of it on a flash drive. I was zoning off every time and kept missing the boot menu. So I press the restart button on the case every time I missed it. I had the good idea to restart when windows was loading. This went on until I didnt even remember what I was supposed to be doing, and I ended up ruining my os and completely lost all my files. (almost)

Thank god for backups.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

I once put a motherboard in the dishwasher thinking it would boost performance when I was eight.

wut

First real pc build I basically had been preparing for months and watched dozens of videos during that time(watched one of Linus' build logs at least five times) so that went well immediately.

About 15 years ago though I tried to install an USB PCI card while the machine was running. Not pretty.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

First pc i ever took apart i though i was unscrewing screws to the case to take out the psu but instead i took the back off the psu

Adding more fans that belong in my air 540... 10fans on an air cooled system

inb4 Windows 10 with Nvidia card

AMD Fanboys have some new ammo.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

I had the front panel door open on my case that I just finished building in when the dog was really hyper. She ran right into the door and broke it off my brand new case. I am too lazy to send it back.

Buying Razer Krakens. 'Nuff said.

And leaving the case front panel door open when the dog was hyper. The door broke off.

LOL. MS Edge is extremely laggy.

buying a fx 6300 and expecting bf4 to run well :/

System: CPU - I5-6500 Motherboard - Asus B150M-A RAM - Crucial ballistix sport 2x4GB DDR4 @2400MHz GPU - RX 480 PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W Case - Aerocool Aero-800 HDD - Seagate 1TB SSD - PNY CS1311 120GB Monitor - AOC G2260VWQ6

1. Going with AM3+ instead of 1155(I play WoT, it uses 1 core only), even i3 would have been good enough, my FX is =i3-3220

2. Buying mpeg2 TV tuner, I thought it's essential because it was mentioned in the configurator(I was 12)

3. Accidentally kicking my case when turning around(it's close to my feet)

4. Buying ThinkPad Edge 15 for gaming(i3-370M, no dedicated gpu.) Just because it's new I thought it would play every game, I was an idiot.

5. Defragmentating the HDD of the Lenovo every day to make it go faster, downloading ton of crap(game booster, msi afterburner, gpu tweak)also updating the pirate copy of win 7 ultimate every day, eventually the laptop stopped at "welcome" and didn't go in desktop.

Bulgarian, WoT nick- ivelinv8, War Thunder- BEST_NOOB_BG, GAMING PC: FX-4170; R9 280X TOXIC; 16 GB RAM; Fortron Raider 750W; Raidmax Helios case; WD Green 1TB. 50Mb/s + 50% bonus

I placed the CPU sticker on the CPU when I put my rig together for the first time.  I wondered why my system was overheating a lot lol 

Lmao nice one  :D

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I purchased a 60 GB SSD... enough said

Ouch I find it hard even on 120gb

mine has to be either putting a 17 year old hdd in my old computer that ended up haveing the disc shatter and somehow put a dent in my 1/4 inch steel case or in terms of more modern computers was me buying a new a10 processor and mother board and realizeing i had to update the bios to use the fm2+ and ended up bend 3 pins on my friends a8 processor in the process of updateing it at 3 in the morning. lol

i also thought it would be a good idea to fit a printer card from a computer made in 2001 into my new gaming rig that i built in 2013 just to print out a school paper

i also broke the laws of physics and plugged a vga cable in upside down didnt bend the pins or anything but to this day i still cant figure out how i did it

9 Out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music of Tetris

trying to touch up paint my case with all the hardware still in it

Main Rig: Cpu: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4.60Ghz 1.2V | Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA | RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133Mhz | GPU: Powercolor RADEON RX6900XT Liquid Devil  | Case: XFORMA MBX MKII | Storage: Samsung 840 256GB/Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | PSU: Corsair Hx850i | Cooling: Custom loop with gentle typhoons |