Why some monitors have IPS "glow"?

Mark Kaine

Tbh, my old Asus had it ever so slightly but it never bothered me, you'd rarely even see it at all and it wasn't as bad as people sometimes say.

But my MSI? (exact model in profile) None? 

So what determines if you have IPS glow... it can't be just "luck" because then the MSI would at least have "some"?

20240621_125630.thumb.jpg.c3253e684cbf2683290fca3e2ffa27c4.jpg

20240621_125540.thumb.jpg.56b6a9c4601faa1994253e0adbb94b0d.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

It's the backlight, the brighter the backlight the worse the glow. I haven't seen any IPS panels with no glow. They all have it to some degree, you'd only see the difference once you get an OLED.

Nah it's all luck.

Damn dude you won the lottery with that perfect screen.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

There are also some differences between the models themselves. On the lower end you can have 800:1 contrast ratio and on the higher end some with ~1500:1. The actual perceived contrast also varies a lot based on environment you are in and the brightness of the backlight. If a black pixel is less bright, than just the ambient light reflected of your screen, it will appear as close to black as possible. Even an OLED wouldn't get you higher contrast in that scenario (unless it can get brighter than your IPS screen).

Not sure if you have checked, but it can also be that your monitor happens to be an VA panel, which have a typical contrast ration of 3000:1. There your blacks are usually already pretty black.

I've never seen an IPS monitor without glow. And I've never seen an LCD monitor without backlight bleed. A FALD backlight can mitigate both to the point where they're mostly gone, but a non-local dimming monitor will always have some glow. Lowering the display brightness and raising the ambient brightness will help make it less noticeable. And the amount has nothing to do with monitor quality, price, or the exact brand of LCD panel. It's usually just a matter of luck.

Since both of your monitors look very good, I'd say you just got lucky. I've had IPS monitors that were nearly unusable in a completely dark room. But I find it's impossible to judge backlight bleed or IPS glow from a photo. I have never been able to get it to look anywhere near what it looks like in reality, no matter what camera settings I use.

If your picture is an accurate representation of the real look, then you have my congratulations. That might be the cleanest IPS monitor I've ever seen.

Fortunately, with the advent of OLED monitors, that is all a thing of the past for me.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Manufacture tolerance, but luck too. All of them have it, and yeah those that can be brighter more will show. Really any LCD though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I've never seen an IPS monitor without glow. And I've never seen an LCD monitor without backlight bleed. A FALD backlight can mitigate both to the point where they're mostly gone, but a non-local dimming monitor will always have some glow. Lowering the display brightness and raising the ambient brightness will help make it less noticeable. And the amount has nothing to do with monitor quality, price, or the exact brand of LCD panel. It's usually just a matter of luck.

Since both of your monitors look very good, I'd say you just got lucky. I've had IPS monitors that were nearly unusable in a completely dark room. But I find it's impossible to judge backlight bleed or IPS glow from a photo. I have never been able to get it to look anywhere near what it looks like in reality, no matter what camera settings I use.

If your picture is an accurate representation of the real look, the you have my congratulations. That might be the cleanest IPS monitor I've ever seen.

Fortunately, with the advent of OLED monitors, that is all a thing of the past for me.

ok, but as said  my other ips (asus) does have some glow in the corners,  its just nowhere near to pictures im seeing posted... in fact its 99% not visible unless theres like no input at all, then its immediately visible, yes, but kind of a none issue in that case? 

and yes that photo is a close as possible representation,  i mean its basically pitch black, especially in the corners... there's no "glow" and of course its an ips, can't really use other display types due to viewing angles etc.

6 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

It's the backlight, the brighter the backlight the worse the glow. I haven't seen any IPS panels with no glow. They all have it to some degree, you'd only see the difference once you get an OLED.

last part is obviously not right because i already see a considerable difference between my msi and my asus monitor  - the msi also cost 3 times as much, might have something to do with it lol. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

last part is obviously not right because i already see a considerable difference between my msi and my asus monitor  - the msi also cost 3 times as much, might have something to do with it lol. 

I can't see what you're looking at or how it's being quantified, but once you see an OLED you'd know what I mean. There isn't that much of a difference from IPS to IPS, they all have the glow and it's always noticable enough to make not much of a difference unless you have or have set a lower brightness on one screen. Technically the viewing angle and the coating could play a role in them being precieved lesser or more to some people's eyes. But in general it's all the same.

21 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

I can't see what you're looking at or how it's being quantified, but once you see an OLED you'd know what I mean. There isn't that much of a difference from IPS to IPS, they all have the glow and it's always noticable enough to make not much of a difference unless you have or have set a lower brightness on one screen. Technically the viewing angle and the coating could play a role in them being precieved lesser or more to some people's eyes. But in general it's all the same.

Case in pont: I was initially looking at the OP pictures on the IPS monitors at work, and on these monitors I couldn't even tell a difference between the monitor bezels and the black in the wallpaper, that's why I said this might be one of the best IPS monitors I've ever seen. It almost looked like OLED-level contrast.

Now I'm at home and saw the images on my OLED monitor, and the results are much more in line with what I'd expect, with slightly gray "blacks" and a bit of glow in the top left and bottom left corners. Just goes to show how much contrast and ambient brightness can impact an image, and the interpretation of said image.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Now I'm at home and saw the images on my OLED monitor, and the results are much more in line with what I'd expect, with slightly gray "blacks" and a bit of glow in the top left and bottom left corners. Just goes to show how much contrast and ambient brightness can impact an image, and the interpretation of said image.

Yeah, I got really into it after I got my first OLED. Now I'm really having trouble looking at IPS monitors because you can't unsee it after looking at OLED. I used to look at them just fine for years but now I can't get over the glow. All I see looking at any IPS is just the backlight blasting my eye. Even the diffeerence between QDOLED and WOLED is sensible once you put them side by side. The QDs have clear raised blacks which next to WOLED gives a feeling of a ever so slight but uniform backlight.

And I see that you can't really judge any screens from images and pictures becaues of so many different factors.