Google to Firefox users: Dump Yahoo for us

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

Google is trying to persuade users of the Firefox browser to ditch Yahoo as their default search engine.

In November, Firefox-maker Mozilla cut a deal in which Yahoo would take over in the US as the "default search experience on Firefox across mobile and desktop," Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer announced at the time. Mozilla's goal was to work with a more flexible search engine that didn't also compete with its own product as Google does with its Chrome browser. Prior to the switch, Google had been the default search in Firefox since 2004.

And just what has Google been doing to win back Firefox users?

The search giant has been displaying not-so-subtle messages on its home page asking Firefox users a couple of questions: Do you want to make Google your default search engine? Do you want to make Google your homepage? You can answer "Sure" or "No thanks."

On Wednesday, Google posted a tweet with the line: "This one's for all the Google Search-loving Firefox fans out there." The tweet showed an image of how you change your default search engine back to Google. It also displayed a link to a page with steps on how to make Google your search engine.

The number of searches is key to companies like Yahoo and Google. More searches mean more chances for users to see advertisements, especially those associated with search terms. And that makes advertisers happy and willing to spend more money at search engines that deliver results. The default search engine is used when you type your query in the location bar, the search bar or the start page, so it's in effect no matter how or where you search in the browser.

In November, Jackdaw Research chief analyst Jan Dawson expressed the view that many Firefox users wouldn't bother to change the default search settings away from Yahoo. "Google should be concerned," Dawson said. "This could mean a significant switch in market share away from Google toward Yahoo." And that shift has already started.

ComScore's US desktop search engine rankings for December showed a 1.6 percent increase in search for Yahoo sites and a 1.6 percent decrease for Google sites. Google by far still dominates the market with a 65 percent share, compared with Yahoo's 11.8 percent. But Google wants to make sure it retains that dominance.

Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

With such a huge chunk of the search engine market, Google is certainly in no danger of losing its dominant status. But with advertisers trying to determine where to spend their ad dollars on Web searches, it's only natural the company would try to woo those lost Firefox users.

SrYsYAH.png

Source : http://www.cnet.com/news/google-to-firefox-users-dump-yahoo-for-us/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Using v 35.0 right now and Google is my default...

If you've already set your default search engine and your sync account, it shouldn't change...

Didnt have to tell me google.

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

PJSalt

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

It's a cold cut world.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

but than how is mozilla supposed to finance the future development? not that i realy care since i still use FF25.

hmm since u asked i think ill switch to yahoo

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

They can fight it out, but as a consumer I will use the product that gets me the best results with least amount of headaches.  If they want my custom then they can work out what I want and provide it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Google just wants all of your data and to know everything about you.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Like Google gives a crap about you.

It's targeted advertising.

Already using Google.

Yahoo and Bing suck.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Google lost a lot of users due to the switch, but they also want to kill off Firefox (hence why they didn't renew the deal with Mozilla).

Very sad.

To me it's like if Windows blocks you from using any web browser beside Spartan.

And the reaction I am seeing here is "Who cares. Spartan is the best! Competition is bad!"

Using FF 33 and using Google as default. Yahoo and Bing search suggestions suck.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Sorry but people who say google just wants all your info are paranoid  idiots. Sorry you dont matter that much in the world.  Google makes most money off ads not you info. 

Google has been my homepage and search engine since forever and that will not change.

Sorry but people who say google just wants all your info are paranoid  idiots. Sorry you dont matter that much in the world.  Google makes most money off ads not you info. 

Considering how often the paranoid idiots have been right about privacy-related stuff already, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Google does indeed make most money through ads, but they get more for delivering them to the right demographic.  That's why all your data is being stored and analyzed. 

Oh, and let's not forget about Prism.  That too wasn't about our info but only for advertisements, I presume.

I use Google ... but using startpage.com instead of Google's own address.  No cookies, no IP logging and the option to either go straight to a result's webpage or open it through a proxy. 

yahoo is shit not search engine.

There is only one search engine and that's GOOGLE!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Considering how often the paranoid idiots have been right about privacy-related stuff already, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Google does indeed make most money through ads, but they get more for delivering them to the right demographic.  That's why all your data is being stored and analyzed. 

Oh, and let's not forget about Prism.  That too wasn't about our info but only for advertisements, I presume.

I use Google ... but using startpage.com instead of Google's own address.  No cookies, no IP logging and the option to either go straight to a result's webpage or open it through a proxy. 

Yeah because you definitely need to cover your tracks after surfing a search engine...

Sorry but people who say google just wants all your info are paranoid idiots. Sorry you dont matter that much in the world. Google makes most money off ads not you info.

They use your info to do targeted advertising. The more info they got on you, the more specific ads they can show and those make more money.

The amount of info they got on you and the amount of money they can get from ads are directly related.

Yeah because you definitely need to cover your tracks after surfing a search engine...

Sure, why not? I know plenty of people who Google every site they want to visit. For those people, the search provider can know every single site you visit. That's very valuable.

Even if you don't Google every site you visit it will still be pretty easy to extract lots of personal info just from your searches.

I thought Google would have had a larger market share than 65%, I'm also equally surprised about how high Yahoo's is too.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Startpage is pretty good for non-image searches. And it's okay if the term for the image is really specific.

That said, it's basically like using Google through a VPN except that it's not giving Google your user agent information or doesn't tell it which result you followed.

Google has been a giant asshole lately. Like more than usual.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I don't think a lot of people are realizing why Google is doing this. Yahoo is now the main search engine partner of Mozilla since after Google decided to cut their ties with Mozilla because Chrome and Firefox are competitors, Yahoo came to Mozilla's side and offered them support and funds that would further their research and keep them running. In turn, Mozilla would make Yahoo the default search engine for Firefox.

If people would still use the Google search engine even with Firefox, then they would just be giving more money to Google and lessening Yahoo's market share. If Yahoo's market share declines, they would sooner or later have to cut costs, one of which is supporting the Mozilla Foundation. Without support, Mozilla would be forced to end as its an open-source foundation that needs supporters' funds, therefore also ending Firefox.

Google would then be able to dominate both the search engine market and the browser market. Not that they are already dominating now, it's just that competition will lessen and the market won't be healthy.