Ubisoft Developers give the reason why games are downgraded

Lord_Kitty

So, this was on the PC Master Race subreddit. There was a Game Architect, an Online Programmer, HR person that gave a presentation at the poster's school.

As a good servant of the Lord GabeN, he asked the hard questions, which reveals a LOT about what is really happening in the gaming industry.

"So what the hell happened with watch dogs?" u/Egg_Slicer

During the presentation, the Online Programmer said that just before they release a game, they have to send a copy to console manufacturers, which then tell them what to keep and what to throw away (sooo yeah Watch Dogs maybe ?).

"30fps vs 60fps" ?

The Game Architect said that they aim for 60 fps but due to "limitations", they have to settle for 30 fps in recent games. He then implied  that console makers are pressuring them into doing the same thing on PC.

So (@LinusTech), Ubi may not be intentionally digging its own grave. As users have said in the thread, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. They may be forced to downgrade the graphics. This also confirms the rumor that Watch_Dogs was downgraded so as the console version doesn't look bad next to the PC version.

Full thread here: http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2j7r9j/delivering_ubisoft_came_to_my_school_for_a/

There are a few more questions that was answered.

EDIT: Another quote.

"Are you aware of the negative response to the recent decision to lock your games (like AC:Unity) into 30 frames per second? If so, what do you think about that?" u/TwinDragonsOfChaos

I asked this question at the end of the presentation, everyone laughed. The Game Architect said that on consoles, and for this type of game, they have to chose between graphical fidelity and smoothness. He implied that MS is making them lock the framerate on PC too. Then, he smiled, said "But our eyes can't see past 24 fps anyway" and winked at me.

Where was the reason exactly? O.o

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Maybe Steam Machines (if they're even still a thing) will help to sort this out.

No they won't because it's linux based, one more platform to optimise for, it will make more problems than solve.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Anyone who thinks that EVERYONE that develops games at Ubi is happy with these bullshit limitations being imposed on them and is completely on board with the FPS limiting has achieved a level of mental deficiency that I didn't know existed.

Stop trying to demonize an entire company for the choices that were made by the ones in charge.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Maybe Steam Machines (if they're even still a thing) will help to sort this out.

they are still a thing

Alienware is making one which will have the option between steam OS and windows

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

As long as they're linux based, they will never become popular to the point of a console/pc. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Anyone who thinks that EVERYONE that develops games at Ubi is happy with these bullshit limitations being imposed on them and is completely on board with the FPS limiting has achieved a level of mental deficiency that I didn't know existed.

Stop trying to demonize an entire company for the choices that were made by the ones in charge.

I agree with this post. If console games are outselling PC games (im sure they are) then the companies will optimize for the largest market share. Not the smallest.

Sure im not happy about it but its either that or they just don't bother making the games for PC in the first place. Id rather take the 30fps limit in that case :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

They will never take my 144Hz!

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

this is missing the point, its their LIES that are being called out as digging their hole deeper, saying that they aimed for 30fps and AIMED for the other shit, not that they werent able to make it, their lies are the problem, if they instead of saying that 30fps was what they wanted for the look, and instead said "the consoles cant take it and we are being pressured to nerf the PC release" then we would NOT be having these issues.

Devs lying is the problem, not us thinking most of them not knowing it, they KNOW that 60 should be minimum, they KNOW that turning down the graphics is stupid, but lying as to why or trying to hide it is what we are pissed about.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

30FPS on PC?

are they trying to start a war?

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

I agree with this post. If console games are outselling PC games (im sure they are) then the companies will optimize for the largest market share. Not the smallest.

Sure im not happy about it but its either that or they just don't bother making the games for PC in the first place. Id rather take the 30fps limit in that case :)

That's not the problem. They are not optimizing for consoles and not PC. They are outright limiting the PC version for parity.

this is missing the point, its their LIES that are being called out as digging their hole deeper, saying that they aimed for 30fps and AIMED for the other shit, not that they werent able to make it, their lies are the problem, if they instead of saying that 30fps was what they wanted for the look, and instead said "the consoles cant take it and we are being pressured to nerf the PC release" then we would NOT be having these issues.

Devs lying is the problem, not us thinking most of them not knowing it, they KNOW that 60 should be minimum, they KNOW that turning down the graphics is stupid, but lying as to why or trying to hide it is what we are pissed about.

Here's another quote:

"Are you aware of the negative response to the recent decision to lock your games (like AC:Unity) into 30 frames per second? If so, what do you think about that?" u/TwinDragonsOfChaos

I asked this question at the end of the presentation, everyone laughed. The Game Architect said that on consoles, and for this type of game, they have to chose between graphical fidelity and smoothness. He implied that MS is making them lock the framerate on PC too. Then, he smiled, said "But our eyes can't see past 24 fps anyway" and winked at me.

They did not aim for 30FPS. They are forced to do so. And Microsoft is forcing them to do the same on PC. The people that did the presentation are developers too. So, the "30FPS is better" might just be a PR stunt.

No they won't because it's linux based, one more platform to optimise for, it will make more problems than solve.

As long as they're linux based, they will never become popular to the point of a console/pc. 

I meant as in giving devs more choice for platform. At the moment there's like six big platforms, MS own a third of those.

If the Steam Machines are successful -> a seventh platform -> less market share by MS and Sony -> more choice for devs -> less influence by MS and Sony -> no more MS pressuring devs for 30 fps.

At least in my perfect world.

Also I'm not an expert but I always thought Linux was the easiest to develop for?

Popularity will grow, I would very much expect Linux to grow in the following years if Steam Machines are successful, I will certainly move towards it.

People used that sort-of logic when the first modular PSU was announced.

Console makers are pressuring to have pc also 30 fps locked? They want to start a war lol

For a while now they've been wanting to make PC seem as limited in capability as possible so that console can still survive,.

Microsoft made a full port of Forza onto PC, they could have made a lot of sales if they released it, but they didn't because they want to keep the successful franchise on Xbox only.

"Rawr XD"

For a while now they've been wanting to make PC seem as limited in capability as possible so that console can still survive,.

Microsoft made a full port of Forza onto PC, they could have made a lot of sales if they released it, but they didn't because they want to keep the successful franchise on Xbox only.

That makes perfect sense to me though and can't really be argued against, sure you would've liked it on PC, but MS had just released a console.

Pressuring third-parties is just bad business.

People used that sort-of logic when the first modular PSU was announced.

You can't compare a psu to a steam box. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Console makers are pressuring to have pc also 30 fps locked? They want to start a war lol

We will just unlock it.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Don't devs get it? THEY HAVE THE POWER?! They should try doing what EpicGames(makers of UnrealTournament2014) is doing and just stop making console games due to outrageous demands like these, and optimize the game for PC, OSX, and Linux... Abandon consoles without the games, the consoles won't sell and console gaming WILL END they might lose some sales in the beginning but if they simply do it for a year or two then I'm sure Sony and Microsoft will realize they shouldn't fuck with gamers or devs and stop holding back the industry.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I thought everybody knew this is why downgrading happens.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Pc master race has more power than everyone else. We have hackers, we can crash your systems... let's see your 30 fps then!

Don't devs get it? THEY HAVE THE POWER?! They should try doing what EpicGames(makers of UnrealTournament2014) is doing and just stop making console games due to outrageous demands like these, and optimize the game for PC, OSX, and Linux... Abandon consoles without the games, the consoles won't sell and console gaming WILL END they might lose some sales in the beginning but if they simply do it for a year or two then I'm sure Sony and Microsoft will realize they shouldn't fuck with gamers or devs and stop holding back the industry.

I don't think that that's how it works. If Ubisoft stopped developing for consoles, they simply won't sell as many games.