Ubisoft Developers give the reason why games are downgraded

Lord_Kitty

Microsoft to us: "Heeeeey, we're sorry for all the bad things we've done to you, PC Gamers. We promise we'll make it up to you *hugs* ^__^ <3"

Microsot to Ubisoft: "DOWNGRADE THEM ALL!"

I blame MS more than Ubisoft. They are screwing over their own customers on their own OS, which pretty much makes them the ultimate a-holes.

It isn't like Ubisoft is the only one that has done this with a 30 FPS locked port. In fact Ubisoft has not locked anything at 30 yet that I know of. I may not be interested in any of their games and am not buying them, but look at who has the most money to throw around and who is doing the pressuring.

That would be the same company who makes the OS we game on, and keeps/delays multiplats off of Windows, and withholds DirectX patches from majority market share from their own customers. 

I find it hilarious that so much hate is directed at Ubisoft and MS gets a free pass. Sony has at least given us Planetside 2, Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, H1Z1 on the way. What does MS give us? Forza is the only thing they have home grown and we don't get it. Project Spark? Locked behind Windows 8.1.Who knows what the hell they are going to do with the next Minecraft. Block it off everything but Windows 10? If they even give it to us, and it will probably be delayed...

you have a very good point and I will keep that in mind from now on, also. I agree with you.

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

Who gives a shit about what ubisoft devs says. They are not the only game developer in the world. If you hate what the fuck they are doing, stop supporting them. There are still developers that offers what, us, gamers want. The last game I played was shadow of mordor, and it was fantastic. FPS can be set to whatever the fuck your PC can handle. And so does the resolution and other graphical settings.

Dude, it's caped at 100FPS. Jayz2cents did the benchmark and had a max FPS of 100, and avg of 100 and a minimum of 100FPS (3 GTX 780 Ti will do that on a X99 chipset). He also said that the game is not demanding, witch means a PC built in 2002 would run the game. lol J/K about an old PC running it but still, it's not a demanding game and when it's not demanding it also means that the graphics wont be all that impressive but the story line must make up for it since so many people are talking about it. I haven't had the chance to play it yet but I will, maybe this weekend.

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

Console makers are pressuring to have pc also 30 fps locked? They want to start a war lol

makes perfect sense, they want to delay and gradually control the lifespan of the console, if they didn't do this the PC will make the consoles look like shit in a span of 4 years.

"..but our eyes can't see past 24 FPS anyway" and winked at me.

What a douchey response. THAT guy needs a swift punch in the face.

I see that in a different way. From what he said (Then, he smiled, said "But our eyes can't see past 24 fps anyway" and winked at me.) and how he smiled and winked, I take that as him kinda poking fun at the fact that games are 30fps.

Making PC run just as horrible as a Console would lure a lot of people into buying a console... I see their plan but shit, that's horrible.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

A "Global PC Master Race Alliance", an al-Qaeda type of fundamentalist organization waging a global jihad against console dominance, is starting to become a better idea by the day. 

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

nah, it has no market, literally 3 times less people use linux than osx and that says everything.

I know that is the reason it isn't happening but it would be awesome if everything would be optimized for the platform.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

There are some new news :huh:  on this
you can read it here:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/ubisoft-microsoft-and-sony-demand-pc-games-to-be-locked-at-30fps/

[...]What is surprising is that, according to the architect, platform holders like Microsoft Corp. and Sony Corp. ask game designers to lock fps on PC versions of games, essentially eliminating one of the key advantages that PCs have over consoles: considerably higher performance. [...]

and here

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/report-microsoft-sony-pressuring-ubisoft-for-30fps-on-pc/

[...] a new report surfaced, suggesting that both Microsoft and Sony are pressuring the French company for 30FPS even on the PC[...]

Basiclly what it is saying is that Ubisoft is under pressure by Sony & Microsoft to locked their framerate at 30 FPS on PC

EDIT:
I  have just seen the last post by

ThatCoolBlueKidd

but eh, more source is better   :P

A lot of things were said during the presentation, there was a Game Architect, an Online Programmer, and a person from HR.

"So what the hell happened with watch dogs?" u/Egg_Slicer

During the presentation, the Online Programmer said that just before they release a game, they have to send a copy to console manufacturers, which then tell them what to keep and what to throw away (sooo yeah Watch Dogs maybe ?).

"30fps vs 60fps" ? everyone

The Game Architect said that they aim for 60 fps but due to "limitations", they have to settle for 30 fps in recent games. He then implied that console makers are pressuring them into doing the same thing on PC.

"Ask how bad the upper/middle management is." u/Ed130_The_Vanguard

The HR rep said that managers are former programmers and can sometimes be interns. But people are always managed by someone who could do their job.

Not asked, but worth mentionning :

The Game Architect said that they try to re-use code as much as possible. So that's maybe what happened with the AI in Watch Dogs which was taken from AC.

"Are you aware of the negative response to the recent decision to lock your games (like AC:Unity) into 30 frames per second? If so, what do you think about that?" u/TwinDragonsOfChaos

I asked this question at the end of the presentation, everyone laughed. The Game Architect said that on consoles, and for this type of game, they have to chose between graphical fidelity and smoothness. He implied that MS is making them lock the framerate on PC too. Then, he smiled, said "But our eyes can't see past 24 fps anyway" and winked at me.

"Then maybe ask about the impact of AI on these APUs in the consoles."

They said they have to use Microsoft's cloud instead of the APU to do the AI in certain games due to hardware limitations.

"You can also ask what is the preferred platform to develop for."

PC, because they have to use specific languages and debuggers for each console and then validate the game with the constructor.

"You should ask them if they get any say in what the PR people are telling us."

They don't. Clearly the two engineers were no peasants, but they were asked questions they could not answer. He only implied that there were hardware limitations all over the place. And his wink when he told me that 24fps was all we needed confirmed that.

"Do people who work for Ubisoft have mobility ? Can they work abroad if they want or change their career path ?" (question from a classmate)

Yes, engineers can become managers and vice-versa, they can also fill openings in other studios, or change teams.

If you have any questions about the presentation, feel free to ask. It was very interesting, and they offered us internships and jobs. They told us a lot of stuff about game development.

*This was copy and paste* 

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ubisoft-engineer-says-microsoft-sony-pressuring-them-to-force-30fps-on-pc.html

"We have a monster 8 core..." Yeah that got used already.

But you see, the problem here is that these companies are what make the money. They can simply give a middle finger to the higher ups and say "we do what we want or you go broke and we quit."

So (@LinusTech), Ubi may not be intentionally digging its own grave. As users have said in the thread, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. They may be forced to downgrade the graphics. This also confirms the rumor that Watch_Dogs was downgraded so as the console version doesn't look bad next to the PC version.

why are they forced? if they took a lot of money to screw the pc they still screw the pc this does not change a thing and if they can "force" a big company like ubi every smaller one should allready be at 30 fps cap 

Oh wohooo....

The problem here is that microsoft has basically a LOT of power, since they own both xbox and windows. Also, maybe ubisoft should admit that these companies are pressuring them into holding back the progression of technology in video games or something. 

Remember that microsoft got fined once by the EU for having a too great influence on the market. Fuck consoles for real....this is the real reason why I hate them. Oh and also this is the reason why I pirate games occasionally!

Ubishaft

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Well, that's a grand load of bullshit. Not surprising though, this is really just like CO's telling game devs that their game has to have multiplayer and zombies, and the devs don't really have a choice. Ubisoft is getting told be their main income source that they have to limit the games in order to get them on consoles. 
A truly grand load of bullshit. Part of me wishes that it would just be one studio with it's priorities all wrong, rather than an issue as large as this.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

As long as they're linux based, they will never become popular to the point of a console/pc. 

Sorry but I think you have an old mind

The Nvidia drivers are pretty good for Linux. They don't perform quite as well but that is probably just because the gaming scene on linux isn't particularly mature compared to what it is on Windows. At least Linux has better support then OSX ever did and likely ever will.

What? OpenGL drivers from Intel, NVIDIA, and AMD are stellar in OS X, and so is the performance ( although not up there with Direct 3D just yet, although OGL in Linux and OS X is faster than OGL in Windows). Hell NVIDIA already had GTX9xx series web drivers for OS X a week after it's launch, with AMD R9 270-290X's support as well since the OS X 10.10 beta hit.

Only issue is OpenGL is only 4.1 in OS X, then again what game out there uses more than that?

Even the latest OS X, and Linux games from Aspyr and Feral top out at OGL 4.0. ( Borderlands Pre-Sequel, Civ: Beyond Earth, Tomb Raider, Shogun 2, Hitman Absolution, and others )

On another note didn't MS just this week say they're going to take PC gaming more serious. Now it comes out they've been purposely hamstringing it behind the scenes.

tQdQvpz.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Sorry but I think you have an old mind

It's possible. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

What? OpenGL drivers from Intel, NVIDIA, and AMD are stellar in OS X, and so is the performance ( although not up there with Direct 3D just yet, although OGL in Linux and OS X is faster than OGL in Windows). Hell NVIDIA already had GTX9xx series web drivers for OS X a week after it's launch, with AMD R9 270-290X's support as well since the OS X 10.10 beta hit.

Only issue is OpenGL is only 4.1 in OS X, then again what game out there uses more than that?

Even the latest OS X, and Linux games from Aspyr and Feral top out at OGL 4.0. ( Borderlands Pre-Sequel, Civ: Beyond Earth, Tomb Raider, Shogun 2, Hitman Absolution, and others )

On another note didn't MS just this week say they're going to take PC gaming more serious. Now it comes out they've been purposely hamstringing it behind the scenes.

tQdQvpz.png

LinuxMasterRace.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

why are they forced? if they took a lot of money to screw the pc they still screw the pc this does not change a thing and if they can "force" a big company like ubi every smaller one should allready be at 30 fps cap 

Yeah, forced may not be it, but that's what was implied by the Game Architect. It may just be that Microsoft is throwying a lot of money at Ubisoft to do that.

Oh noes!