Sleep vs Shut Down

I only shut mine down when I am gone for more than a day, otherwise it just sleeps.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I bet a lot of people would be better off hibernating but they are just ignorant.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Am I the only one who uses hibernate all the time? It's the best of both sleep and shut down. You resume from where you were but use less power and don't need to login again.

hibernate uses no more power then shutdown. 0..

The initial process of entering hibernation takes some more but that never matters in the slightest.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

hibernate uses no more power then shutdown. 0..

The initial process of entering hibernation takes some more but that never matters in the slightest.

I was pointing out that it uses less power than sleep. But yeah, it doesn't use more power than shutdown of course. They're very similar.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I put my laptop to sleep more often because even though it can boot quickly it's nothing compared to the instant reaction of waking up. Most computers are just as fast waking up as well, regardless of storage medium as everything is cached and ready to go anyway. I sometimes shut it down when I'm traveling and need the battery to stay charged, though.

Sleep doesn't harm your computer. If anything it speeds it up.

I shut it off, with an SSD I can boot stupid fast and I'll normally turn it on and go brush my teeth, I have no reason not to shut down

I shut down my pc every night when I go to bed unless its installing something large or working on something. It also stays off when I'm at work. Its only on when I'm home or its doing something.

Shutting it down is okay for me, only because of the SSD boot times. If I didn't have an SSD I would always sleep. 

i voted for two because,

i usually leave it on all the time, and sunday night i always shut down, but i get alot of updates and take it with me all the time. so i also shut down about every 3 days...

if i had a desktop i'd just restart for updates and every sunday night though. no more every 3 days on average.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Shutting it down is okay for me, only because of the SSD boot times. If I didn't have an SSD I would always sleep. 

agreed, however in my expirenence windows 8 starts up damn fast... even off a laptop HDD.... takes my laptop (hp envy m6) about 10 seconds to get to the windows loading screen and about 10 seconds from there, and... five to ten seconds for me to login.

30 seconds to desktop is fast.... unless everyone using a SSD is getting more than a third less.....

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Off, always off, never anything else. Any of the nonsense about shutting down a computer being "bad" or "harmful" to your system because of the "surge" when you turn it back on is just that, nonsense. All of that nonsense comes from long dead articles that were nothing buy lies to begin with and is left over habbit from the days when booting up a computer took several minutes.

But even with a HDD, a computer can boot up in about 60 seconds these days. Sleep and Hibernate modes were only created because people hated the super long boot times. With boot times being reasonable, and on the insanely fast side with SSDs, they serve no practical purpose any more. If you're not going to be using your computer, just turn it off.

Shutting the system down is the only thing that completely clears your cache. Even a restart does not clear it completely. And no matter how low the power usage is during Sleep Mode, it will never be as low as when you shut if down.

plus stuf can still be working... its nice to ''wake up'' to a room temp cpu instead of slightly higher.

-Jim Hensen

Electricity here was never cheap so I always shut down and unplug.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

• 3 weeks later...

I've left my computer running to download games for usually 7 ~ 11 hours

But this time I want to download Dead Rising 3 and it's freaking 33 GIGABYTES!!!!!!

With my internet speed it will take me around 21 ~ 23 hours to complete, so will there be any problem to my component if I leave my PC running all day?

EDIT: Temperture of my room with the PC is around 28 ~ 31 Celsius

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

no

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

With my internet speed it will take me around 21 ~ 23 hours to complete, so will there be any problem to my component if I leave my PC running all day?

You can leave it on permenantly

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Nope. But I still don't do it. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

nope I have been doing it since 2008

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

the only components that actually really degrade is harddrivers, but those run for thousands of hours anyhow so in the end they will probably fail for other reasons before time becomes the problem

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

I used to use a Phenom processor in my server until I recently replaced it with a Xeon. Most of the consumer products can run 24/7 even if they are not advertised as it.

No problems runing a computer like that. I have a server that's an old gaming rig. Its been running 24/7 for going on 2 years now. Only downtime for maintenance

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Theoretically, you could leave your computer running eternally and suffer no damage as a result. While the odds of reaching this number is slim to none, there is actually a limited number of times that a computer can be 'turned on'. Any computer component with mechanical parts deteriorates with each start up. The power button, the hard drive and certain power supplies are at risk, so if anything leaving your computer running 24/7 is actually better for it.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

never turning it off is probably healthy as there would be no heat cycles :P