Sleep vs Shut Down

@

No it isn't true.

Hardware barely cares what way it is shut off, it loses power one way or the other. Less wear and tear is good. The only danger is if software is doing something and you shut down in the middle of it.

Theres a lot of sources saying what I said.

@

No it isn't true.

Hardware barely cares what way it is shut off, it loses power one way or the other. Less wear and tear is good. The only danger is if software is doing something and you shut down in the middle of it.

So does shutting it off cause less wear and tear?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So does shutting it off cause less wear and tear?

Not running as often = less wear and tear. But sleep does the same thing. And it's minor anyways. So it honestly doesn't matter at all whether you shut it down leave it on or put it to sleep.

@ that used to be true with old crappy hard drives, but it hasn't been true in a long time. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000390.htm  http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2131736

What do you think it does?

i turn it off, because i have no reason to leave it on if i'm not using it

i only leave it in standby if i leave the computer but i know i will go back to it in an hour or so, because rebooting the pc multiple times a day is just sick

waiting half a minute for it to turn on isn't a problem really, and sometimes i need to turn it off anyway to switch OS

i'm also a bit of a freak in terms of wasting electricity

Not running as often = less wear and tear. But sleep does the same thing. And it's minor anyways. So it honestly doesn't matter at all whether you shut it down leave it on or put it to sleep.

@ that used to be true with old crappy hard drives, but it hasn't been true in a long time. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000390.htm  http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2131736

What do you think it does?

That's what I thought.

i turn it off, because i have no reason to leave it on if i'm not using it

i only leave it in standby if i leave the computer but i know i will go back to it in an hour or so, because rebooting the pc multiple times a day is just sick

waiting half a minute for it to turn on isn't a problem really, and sometimes i need to turn it off anyway to switch OS

i'm also a bit of a freak in terms of wasting electricity

Your avatar trips me out bro, what is that?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Your avatar trips me out bro, what is that?

dunno, but i liked it

not public.

may i join?

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

I turn it off, unless I am downloading then I will set a timer for it to shut itself down.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Use my computer as a plex server... sooo.. yeah... 

Used to use it as a seedbox as well but I'm going to be living in dorms soon for college.. yeah.... got a seedbox now.

I turn it off at night, SSD makes boot trivially fast, I can see no point at all in a personal computer running overnight

I turn it off at night, SSD makes boot trivially fast, I can see no point at all in a personal computer running overnight

Using computer as a server, seedbox... ect?

If not I would just have it go into sleep mode after x hours

I have exactly no interest in leaving my computer running all the time so that it can be a seedbox, actually beyond zero interest. I guess as a server but again not something I or most people use their computers for

SO YAY OR NAY? SHUT IT OFF,SLEEP,OR NAH?

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

Not everyone's computer boots up quickly: I still have a 5 year old system on a mechanical drive, boot up takes a little while and I never had system stability issues for not rebooting so I don't, enables me to have my main rig as server for all the other devices around the house.

-------

Current Rig

-------

may i join?

I have a video on my youtube channel for server applications. If you want more information just PM me, cause advertising is not allowed.

Also just fyi the vanilla server is currently down, and will be starting new when 1.8 is released. Currently I'm taking applications for my CrackPack (modded) server. Vanilla will be soon.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I turn mine off simply because the lights on my PC are annoying when I'm trying to sleep. If sleeping wasn't a thing, I would probably leave it on 24/7 (that's what I did with my old PC that didn't have lights).

My computer is right at the end of my bed on a desk and i got 2 led fans witch i cant turn off so i turn it off every night unless i'm updating games

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

My computer has no SSD :P Waste of time shutting down and waiting 60 seconds to boot when everything is already peachy and cached, ready to fire up the internet at a moment's notice.

Only time when I have my PC running for long time a row are LAN parties. Last weekend it was running from thursday to saturday evening. Then I had to boot because flash was lagging so bad. Usually I turn it off during night because I sleep right next to it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I would but I haven't gotten around to building a server.

1) Plex

2) F@H

3) Gmod server

4) MC Server

5) I use my PC like a NAS, by sharing the D:\ (Mass storage RAID drives) drives with the network.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

I turn my main rig off whenever I don't need it, because I don't need the heat nor light that it produces while I'm trying to sleep.

Though, I leave my server on 24/7, but that is in a different part of the house.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Now that I have SSD's I turn it off regularly, but before I had SSD's I very rarely did because I hated the wait time to boot up.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

i shut it down every night cause why not , im not using it anyway so theres no reason for me personally to keep it on