Sleep vs Shut Down

Hi all,

I have recently finished putting together my first gaming rig, and am LOVING it. Since I work 8-5 daily, I only use the computer at night for gaming, mostly through GameStream on my Nvidia Shield. Because I'm not using the computer for the bulk of the day, I've been turning it completely off each night after use. However, if I buy a game during the work day because of a flash sale, etc, I'd like the ability to "wake" my PC up to begin downloads so they're ready to go when I get home. In order to do so I can use software to "Wake on Lan", but it appears that you need to leave your computer in Sleep mode as it won't wake from full shutdown. What would the risks or benefits be to leaving my PC in sleep mode to accomplish this? What do you all do?

That's what she said.

i heard something in the past about SSD's and hibernation being bad or something, this true?

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Sleep mode will not affect your hardware. It will only cost more in terms of your power bill. I was surprised to find my PC consumed 66 watts in sleep mode but only around 5 when shut off.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

i heard something in the past about SSD's and hibernation being bad or something, this true?

hibernation wastes like 8GB of your SSD which sucks when SSDs are small and have limited space.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sleep mode will not affect your hardware. It will only cost more in terms of your power bill. I was surprised to find my PC consumed 66 watts in sleep mode but only around 5 when shut off.

Are you sure? My PC used 60-70 watts at 'idle' actually I was just browsing webpages.

Sleep mode is perfectly fine, it's just a running low power state.

Your signature. I know that taste! EW

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Yes it's "bad" because it writes all the RAM to a hibernation file on the SSD, which wastes write cycles

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Are you sure? My PC used 60-70 watts at 'idle' actually I was just browsing webpages.

Yeah. Mine uses 77 when idling. I may have to re-check but that's what the meter said.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

I log off and after like 20 minutes the pc goes to sleep on its own

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

Only shut it down if you are leaving it unused for more than a day.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I usually turn mine off when I go to bed.

[CPU] Intel i5 4690k @ stock w/ Corsair H100i [Motherboard] Asus Z97-AR [RAM] 16GB Corsair Vengeance [GPU] Asus Strix GTX 970 OC 4GB [Case] Corsair Obsidian Series 750D [Storage] 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 1TB Western Digital Cavier Green HDD [PSU] Corsair CX Series 750M [Display] Dell U2412M [Keyboard] Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Red) [Mouse] Zowie FK1 w/ Corsair MM600 Mouse Mat [Sound] Asus Xonar Essence STX, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, Sennheiser HD558 w/ ModMic [OS] Windows 8.1 64-bit

Sleep cause my LEDS make my room look cool.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

Wake-on-LAN does power on your computer from cold, actually. It doesn't have to be sleeping.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Off, always off, never anything else. Any of the nonsense about shutting down a computer being "bad" or "harmful" to your system because of the "surge" when you turn it back on is just that, nonsense. All of that nonsense comes from long dead articles that were nothing buy lies to begin with and is left over habbit from the days when booting up a computer took several minutes.

But even with a HDD, a computer can boot up in about 60 seconds these days. Sleep and Hibernate modes were only created because people hated the super long boot times. With boot times being reasonable, and on the insanely fast side with SSDs, they serve no practical purpose any more. If you're not going to be using your computer, just turn it off.

Shutting the system down is the only thing that completely clears your cache. Even a restart does not clear it completely. And no matter how low the power usage is during Sleep Mode, it will never be as low as when you shut if down.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

I always turn off my gaming rig, but I almost never turn off my laptop.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

I use this wonderful thing called Hibernate on Windows 7 and 8.1. It's the best thing. Turns it off yet lets you resume where you were before like sleep does, just no password like Shut Down. I never Shut Down my computers anymore, just hibernate or sleep. Usually Hibernate as I swap hard drives a lot and can't do that when the computers asleep (well, I suppose I could but I don't wanna see the result of that) and find that my old-ish desktop isn't very power efficient and uses so much less electricity in Hibernate. On my laptop, if I'm gone for less than about 6 hours, I'll sleep while over that I'll Hibernate. If I'm worried about someone deciding that they want to snoop around my computer (laptop for school), then I'll shut it down all the way as my laptop has sh*t battery life and Hibernate doesn't require your password.

It's a lot less complicated than it sounds....

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Running 24/7 stable has the least impact on hardware.

Spin up and spin down do far more damage to PC hardware than sitting at idle for hundreds of hours.

Why do you think server hardware lasts forever.

shut off is better but keeping the computer in sleep mode for a long time will affect the hardware in the long term. the motherboard is still running and the cpu is still hot(not as hot as the computer running). it wont affect it but it will eventually kill the cpu. but by then you wont need the computer cause its old

Running 24/7 stable has the least impact on hardware.

Spin up and spin down do far more damage to PC hardware than sitting at idle for hundreds of hours.

Why do you think server hardware lasts forever.

Because server hardware is made to run that long, lol.

Am I the only one who uses hibernate all the time? It's the best of both sleep and shut down. You resume from where you were but use less power and don't need to login again.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I'm use to my machine running 24/7 around the clock. Tho lately I have been letting it automatically go to sleep after 1-2 hours when I go to bed. Saves a bit on the power bill and no point in letting it run full throttle when you're not using it so... Letting it sleep would be the best bet.