Sleep vs Shut Down

should be fine, as long as you don't have a sound card that has firmware that will go corrupt any time it wants and will bring everything down with it when it does

*ahem* sound-blaster z *ahem*

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

it's fine, I had to do that when I had my really old shit internet connection, I wouldn't leave it on that long, but still pretty damn long

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I think with SSDs now, it's just fine to turn it off. Does not really bother me. I come home, turn it on, put my shit on the shelf, come back, use it, no waiting time.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

Sleep during the day, shut down during the night.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

I shut my computer down each night. I am thinking of leaving it on because my boot times are getting stupidly long. If I can go to the bath room and make a bowl of cereal before my pc turns on thats just sad.Or im really really fast.

I'm not even mad, that's amazing

my pc is still after 2 years fast enough to not give a shit about boot time :P & my pc just won't be a good girl and go to sleep nicely.... it always comes out of sleep mode so i just end up shutting it down every time anyway

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

I cannot believe the poll results. Modern technology does not consume enough power to care about if it's one PC. I used to mine Bitcoin heavily on my PC, then switch to Milkyway@Home when that became non-profitable.

Nope. Never. Niddly. Nada. I NEVER shut down my computer. I always put it to sleep on my computer. But, sometimes, it puts itself to hibernate and crashes my wifi adapter. But hibernation is better than shutdown. I wished I can remove shut down from my computer. IT just fricking annoys me when it's just sitting there, when I have hibernate as an option.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I generally leave my computer on 24/7. I usually just turn off the monitor only, if I'm going to sleep or something. I've been doing that for years without any problems. That said, if I know I'm gonna be away for long time ( more than 16 hours), I usually just turn it off. So on average, it gets turned off maybe twice a month ( not counting updates of course).

Can't afford to leave the PC on 24/7 and I'm out most of the week so I turn it off...

-snip-

Hello there...

When you've just recently moved into your own place you can't afford to leave a dual GPU, AMD, heavily overclocked system on at all times. Also, having an AIO cooler, the paranoia of being asleep and that thing springing a leak or failing would give me nightmares.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Greetings...always glad to meet a fellow hermit.

*bows slightly*

I used to always sleep my laptop when moving between classes at school and work because it would be much faster to continue working but now that I got an SSD it boots really fast that I just shut it down everytime. This also helps so whenever I boot it up I can choose any OS to boot up from my dual boot system and not have to wait so much time like on my old 5400rpm hdd.

sleep uses next to nothing for power, and is instantly booted, reminds me when i first discovered hibernate in XP...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

I'm not even mad, that's amazing

Haha. Thank you. But how is that amazing?

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

That your computer can take that long to power on :)

Isn't it! It's crazy. I am planning on getting an SSD soon.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Usually just put my PC to sleep during the day when I know I will be back onto it soon and then at night before sleep I turn it off. My friend never shuts his down and always has it on sleep so I don't see how it could be a problem.

thats pretty much my habit. I used to have a computer i had to restart several times during the day because it kept running out of ram. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

Would the RAM overheat if the computer is left on sleep for 12 hours?

No... Not unless something were to be modified in any way.

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

I only have a thick fat laptop as a compromise between a slim laptop and powerful desktop. During weekends it's on the whole day and it's of the whole night, since I keep jumping on and off it. On weekdays, at school it's always off to save it's poor battery unless I'm using it, and it's on until the night once I get home.

Part of the Q6600 club

I primarily put mine in sleep mode and it doesn't seem to be an issue (that said, my computer is dying and it is far less of a hassle to simply leave it on than to get it to start up).