adjusting a fan curve for fractal torrent compact

CitizenBane

hello i have a new pc and the default fan curve i got with my motherboard felt like i have a helicopter base at home, i've manually tinkered it and seen some improvments but i belive it's most likely not optimal (see picture attached)

case is fractal torrent compact as mentioned in the title

cpu cooler is thermalright phantom spirit 120

cpu is ryzen 7800x3d

at the current fan curve i'm at mid-high sixties when playing the finals on max (runs on unreal engine 5). there is audible noise but not too much. i should mention that it's mostly the case that causes noise and not the cpu cooler the cpu cooler makes some minor noise at high levels the case however is insanely loud to the point i might regret purchasing it

appreciate any help

1.png

instead of trying to micro manage your curves make them smooth/gradual or just a straight diagonal line. it doesn't work like you obviously think it does... make it something simple like this

20221102_025833.thumb.jpg.aff04fdbff8c1f2eeb2026f36ab60c31.jpg

note: i have 5800x3D and my fans never do this fast rev up/down thing

ps: this in particular is the worst thing you can do to any fancurve

Screenshot_20240521-013727_SamsungInternetBeta.png.bcab910f0cfceae87314761e562f2aae.png

its the opposite of smooth or gradual basically you're forcing your fans to go as erratic as possible,  they may never rest  lol 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Your fan curve is too linear. keep your fans running below %30 until your case ambient temperature is 40-50c then ram it up agressively. I personally have mines ramp up to max at 65c and my tmax inside the case is 55c.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

instead of trying to micro manage your curves make them smooth/gradual or just a straight diagonal line. it doesn't work like you obviously think it does... make it something simple like this

20221102_025833.thumb.jpg.aff04fdbff8c1f2eeb2026f36ab60c31.jpg

note: i have 5800x3D and my fans never do this fast rev up/down thing

ps: this in particular is the worst thing you can do to any fancurve

Screenshot_20240521-013727_SamsungInternetBeta.png.bcab910f0cfceae87314761e562f2aae.png

its the opposite of smooth or gradual basically you're forcing your fans to go as erratic as possible,  they may never rest  lol 

the part you mentioned in my fan curve never gets put into use anyways my cpu temp is never that low even when idle, as for your fan curve my case fans get very very loud after 75% capacity which is the core issue

8 hours ago, Levent said:

Your fan curve is too linear. keep your fans running below %30 until your case ambient temperature is 40-50c then ram it up agressively. I personally have mines ramp up to max at 65c and my tmax inside the case is 55c.

i can change the fans to 30% at 40-50 but as mentioned above the problem is when case fans go above 75%

15 hours ago, CitizenBane said:

hello i have a new pc and the default fan curve i got with my motherboard felt like i have a helicopter base at home, i've manually tinkered it and seen some improvments but i belive it's most likely not optimal (see picture attached)

case is fractal torrent compact as mentioned in the title

cpu cooler is thermalright phantom spirit 120

cpu is ryzen 7800x3d

at the current fan curve i'm at mid-high sixties when playing the finals on max (runs on unreal engine 5). there is audible noise but not too much. i should mention that it's mostly the case that causes noise and not the cpu cooler the cpu cooler makes some minor noise at high levels the case however is insanely loud to the point i might regret purchasing it

appreciate any help

1.png

Cases don't make noise. Fans and pumps can. I guess that's what you mean since you're asking for fan curve advice...?

My guess is that the original curves were optimized for top performance,  which means the fans are noisy. If it's too loud for you, then the goal you should have is to keep the noise to an acceptable level until the CPU is approaching thermal overload. Since the PS120 is such a good cooler, that should be enough for your CPU.

If you want it to stay quiet for as long a possible, just do a flat line till shortly before the throttling temp, then shoot it up fast.

If you want the fans to try to keep up but the noise to not seem as noticeable then have a gradually increasing curve instead. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Cases don't make noise. Fans and pumps can. I guess that's what you mean since you're asking for fan curve advice...?

My guess is that the original curves were optimized for top performance,  which means the fans are noisy. If it's too loud for you, then the goal you should have is to keep the noise to an acceptable level until the CPU is approaching thermal overload. Since the PS120 is such a good cooler, that should be enough for your CPU.

If you want it to stay quiet for as long a possible, just do a flat line till shortly before the throttling temp, then shoot it up fast.

If you want the fans to try to keep up but the noise to not seem as noticeable then have a gradually increasing curve instead. 

yeah i meant the fan cases, after 75% usage they're loud

as for the curves you suggested, i'd appreciate an image of a good curve so i can repeat it in my program. i had the default gigabyte profiles and they were all horrible including the silent one. mostly because it applies the same curve to all fans meaning the case fans have the same curve as the cpu fan

1 hour ago, CitizenBane said:

yeah i meant the fan cases, after 75% usage they're loud

as for the curves you suggested, i'd appreciate an image of a good curve so i can repeat it in my program. i had the default gigabyte profiles and they were all horrible including the silent one. mostly because it applies the same curve to all fans meaning the case fans have the same curve as the cpu fan

A fan curve is a personal thing. Me, I use Turbo preset, and that won't work for you. What curve you use is determined by performance balanced with noise. Noise at the level you are experiencing is a non-issue for me, which is why I gave you the suggestions that I did. The other problem is that noise you hear is dependent on the case, the build, the fans, where you place the case, etc. So, really, you have to play with it. Either a flat line, a gradual slope, or a hybrid. Sorry. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

3 hours ago, RevGAM said:

A fan curve is a personal thing. Me, I use Turbo preset, and that won't work for you. What curve you use is determined by performance balanced with noise. Noise at the level you are experiencing is a non-issue for me, which is why I gave you the suggestions that I did. The other problem is that noise you hear is dependent on the case, the build, the fans, where you place the case, etc. So, really, you have to play with it. Either a flat line, a gradual slope, or a hybrid. Sorry. 

the pc is under my table close to me

as mentioned the cpu cooler doesn't make too much noise even on max

case fans are loud over 75% capacity

during gaming in the finals im at 65-70 with the curve i posted in the first post and low level of noise

i'm asking if i can improve performance, sound level or reduce the material wear of the fans with a better curve

5 minutes ago, CitizenBane said:

the pc is under my table close to me

as mentioned the cpu cooler doesn't make too much noise even on max

case fans are loud over 75% capacity

during gaming in the finals im at 65-70 with the curve i posted in the first post and low level of noise

i'm asking if i can improve performance, sound level or reduce the material wear of the fans with a better curve

Yes, yes and yes.
Undervolt the CPU, which will cool it off, but at a slight performance cost, so you can also up the clockspeed a bit.

Or, use more aggressive fan curves for the case and cooler, which will force the temperature down, resulting in better performance.

The former will allow you to have your fans last longer. Really, though, unless you're buying really crappy fans, they should last a few years and you should be more concerned with temperatures than fans.

On 5/22/2024 at 1:32 AM, RevGAM said:

Yes, yes and yes.
Undervolt the CPU, which will cool it off, but at a slight performance cost, so you can also up the clockspeed a bit.

Or, use more aggressive fan curves for the case and cooler, which will force the temperature down, resulting in better performance.

The former will allow you to have your fans last longer. Really, though, unless you're buying really crappy fans, they should last a few years and you should be more concerned with temperatures than fans.

is 65~70 not good enough for a game such as the finals? again i can make the curve more aggressive but then there's sound in my room

8 hours ago, CitizenBane said:

is 65~70 not good enough for a game such as the finals? again i can make the curve more aggressive but then there's sound in my room

It is fine, of course. You were asking how to decrease the noise, so I've given you options to consider. I hope that helps.