ViruZ "X99 DreamMachine" (First Build) (100+ pics)

ViruZ_HUN

X99 DreamMachine

GTX 970 SLI - I7 5820k - Asus X99S - 16GB DDR4 - 500GB SSD - Enthoo Luxe

Some History first about how I got into custom computers:)

Back in mid 2013 I started to feel that I need something which boosts my FPS in games, I started to read some about how to boost FPS through hardware upgrade and I found that the graphics card is the key component which could boost my FPS, So I wanted to upgrade my GPU. I was dumb, I thought I could just buy a GPU and put it inside my system and expect it to be compatible with every other components. But gladly I didn't got any money to buy a new GPU, yet.

However, I got more and more into the computers and started mainly to learn about part to part compatibility, I mean which part can be connected and work with which part. When I had a basic knowledge about what is inside a PC I started to search for what is the newest CPU,GPU etc. Then I started using "Prisjakt.nu". A Swedish website to put together a list for my "prototype" build. Because I still had allot to learn about compatibility.

Then I started to watch Linus Tech Tips channel more and more frequently because I found the newly released GTX 700 series. I knew there existed this LTT channel before but I didn't care so I didn't watched it. But I started to watch it because I wanted to learn about the hardware's performance compared to other hardware. I had to do this to make smart decisions about what part I should put into my build. So this learning process went on for months before I knew the basics about "What hardware is best for the money". But till the end of 2013, when I planned to buy my PC, it turned out that the money wasn't enough. And right now in 2015 I am super happy that it wasn't enough back then, because that 2013 build compared to this PC i bought in 2015 is huge in performance. My budget back in 2013 was 2800 USD for a PC(but I failed to raise that 2.8k back then), but now in 2015 I raised it to 3.5k and I also spent it all on my PC even if I could have got one for 1k less which would perfectly fit me.

shortened this is my story. I started to learn in mid 2013 and it took me one and a half year to get the final product. If you have more questions according to my history just ask:D. And you probably have figured it out. This is the first PC I've ever built

So what is the final product?

This is the specifications of the final product:)

built together on 16th January 2015. it is a nice Bday Present because my Birthday is on the 26th January:D

CPU: I7 5820k

GPU: 2x GTX 970 Strix

MB: Asus X99-S

RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz

HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm fans 3000 RPM

Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm fans 3000 RPM

CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs

Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard

What you see above it what is inside my case. I am pretty happy with it because It is a well balanced build. if you want to see something I wrote together in 2013 you can see that I basically went with the cheapest PSU, because I thought "Umm, it only gives power, who cares". 

And I upgraded from this:

Its a prebuild system made by HP

case: HP case

CPU cooler: Intel stock cooler

CPU: intel core i7 2600 3.4 ghz

MB: Asus Ipis8 Ch-2
GPU: GTX 550 ti refference design
RAM: 12 gb 1333 mhz DDR3 kingston
HDD: 2x 1.5 TB seagate 7200 RPM

A video about "New PC vs Old PC" will come up by me. It's about that I compare my new PC vs my old PC in benchmarks and FPS numbers. I already tried a few games and I couldn't believe it, I got a huge huge boost in games like BF4, I am on Ultra settings overfloading with FPS while my old rig crashed if I wanted to turn on ultra. it is just amazing

Why did you bought that PC when you could have gone with a cheaper one which fits perfect for your needs?

I guess you have not figured it out yet:P. I am not a professional or working user. Computers is just my hobby. I already built this PC but I am still reading about upcoming parts like the R9 3xx series by AMD, and I am still watching videos about Video cards I will never buy like the GTX 960, just because It interests me.

I am also an Enthusiast and I wanted to spend much. I wanted a extreme PC like this which fits more then enough for my needs. Just because I want the best. And I expect this PC for be good without upgrade for at least 2 years. And I think it will, GTX 780 is soon 2 years and still one of the most powerful ones.

Summarized. I bought this PC because I wanted the best which I could get for my money, I could have gone with Z97 with the quad cores but I am more interested in the hexa cores over at X99. I am a performance freak yes:D I buy stuff which is over my needs:D. I also expect from this PC to be more future proof then my old PC. I had to deal with a GTX 550 ti for 3 years!, 3 freeking years with a bad GPU like that. So I will probably be fine with two GTX 970s for at least 2 years! :)

There is people I want to thank :)

No of course not. The knowledge I got isn't from only what I've found on the web. I also asked allot of questions to different forums and I also talked private about stuff with different members. And there was a few members which I saw had patient with me, and I saw ppl who wasn't patient with me and raged out on me and told me how stupid I was. Yes I agree that I was annoying with all those questions for some people, but there were some ppl who actually had patience and did not complain at me.

This is just a few of the people I wan't to thank.

@LinusTech and @Slick for producing all those awsome helpfull videos, and no I do not forget the rest of his crew:)

@wng_kinsley7

@s3ns3

@techswede

@Cacao

@airdeano

@Lanoi

@WoodenMarker

@TheProfosist

@The Sweetroll

@tmcclelland455

@megadarkwood

@Tech_Dreamer

@M-ursu

And a guy on skype which is actually a family friend. he works as a programmer and is super smart in almost all areas within PCs. He helped making smart decisions till the end. I won't type his name since I don't know if I am allowed to:)

The ppl you see above is a small group of people which helped me out. But there were many more ppl. But I would have to write for a couple of days to find everyone:D

I wan't to thank the whole forum for it's help and patience.

And now it's time for what everyone was waiting for:)

The Pictures of the build:D

Warning allot of pictures!, prepare to crash your browser

Ql5aiFy.jpg

R20ab52.jpg

rW3ht3z.jpg

ge3m41D.jpg

Rpg1DbP.jpg

dV8n3FR.jpg

dV8n3FR.jpg

2D2q3xH.jpg

XlvGzjn.jpg

3ozFvKk.jpg

ZysBFoc.jpg

zEMzTac.jpg

qQbCxBA.jpg

S94cej4.jpg

nGXaZl5.jpg

LpSr44O.jpg

WC5mwSE.jpg

VtaKxEk.jpg

FNQ5jGp.jpg

Yp1eoGF.jpg

SJhKFvd.jpg

7ix6dum.jpg

8KUaePy.jpg

F991oHQ.jpg

ISWsnFC.jpg

QYGEN0g.jpg

FfWKjyj.jpg

7KjPrsS.jpg

XnwKAzn.jpg

ZUOwsgW.jpg

hZkEmhy.jpg

aruc7zE.jpg

pdmWZgS.jpg

w3oxM49.jpg

u9UTWtP.jpg

YDfMRxC.jpg

P9Cj6Re.jpg

7M9vBXi.jpg

2NFlz3j.jpg

QrDbTEL.jpg

R2FQBeY.jpg

wNhS6Zt.jpg

IhPALma.jpg

eymDNLQ.jpg

uozbOcf.jpg

oXUTffJ.jpg

n2LPJji.jpg

KYr5JR0.jpg

Y3K6A5D.jpg

6pku5nQ.jpg

nkl0HaO.jpg

vSJE27V.jpg

oXUTffJ.jpg

wRkYfxV.jpg

kxG8RUi.jpg

yZHgjbP.jpg

VYpI6om.jpg

msFl4Gn.jpg

Yca2VQq.jpg

3envYpZ.jpg

JNJHDi9.jpg

nzQJ7gC.jpg

3FjrSEP.jpg

NVtT0zz.jpg

Bovfrgj.jpg

byyxFGV.jpg

NcPUVh5.jpg

O89eFiO.jpg

dNr7QiU.jpg

k8Gu1Ki.jpg

cmixa3L.jpg

No my radiator is not dirty, it the color of it:P

BALCIyz.jpg

j7YgYuc.jpg

xBA2YYI.jpg

eJBwNOP.jpg

D258srr.jpg

ccVbD34.jpg

Z9o37bR.jpg

C0oCMn7.jpg

w9OmtvZ.jpg

7H8fE5c.jpg

66WC04x.jpg

156RX4N.jpg

UtM3jXd.jpg

PZYsm1G.jpg

mKMrWyj.jpg

I think Blue looks better then red for this build,lol

w2ZeF8P.jpg

ucADwhz.jpg

ThERG8E.jpg

JsrfmIl.jpg

Uy4oaqm.jpg

Uy4oaqm.jpg

UaAnX60.jpg

o8fmBD4.jpg

There is coming up videos about this build, probably next week, they will include..

1.Old PC vs New PC performance numbers

2. Temperature measurement in different games, and stress test

3. Showoff video

So that's it, hope you like it:)

Upcoming upgrades:

New monitor

New mouse

Customloop watercooling 

Bigger SSD

paint motherboard:P

Asus ROG SLI bridge, cuze the current is ugly

Changing window to real glasswindow

Leave a comment and let me know what you think about it, note that this is a first time build, I am not an experienced computer builder.  :D 

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

i wish my 5820k could get 4.6 stable at 1.3 im just stuck here at 4.5.

my temps are nicer though :)

Oh goodie, an actual build log. I was worried this was one of those "I made this in PcPartPicker even though I'll never buy it" threads due to the title having "Dream Machine" in it.

Nice. Although, you do know the SATA power connector for the fan hub will make all the fans run at 12v constantly, right?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Nice. Although, you do know the SATA power connector for the fan hub will make all the fans run at 12v constantly, right?

I stopped using it because of tje reason you said. I am using a splitter instead. The fanhub is just in my case but nothing is connected to it anymore:P

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I stopped using it because of tje reason you said. I am using a splitter instead. The fanhub is just in my case but nothing is connected to it anymore:P

Oh lol. Your cable management seems to be WAAAY better than mine in my Enthoo Pro. If you're curious, I have potato pics for it (Athena, BTW). I kinda want to get a Hue, but... My cable management is terrible enough...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Oh lol. Your cable management seems to be WAAAY better than mine in my Enthoo Pro. If you're curious, I have potato pics for it (Athena, BTW). I kinda want to get a Hue, but... My cable management is terrible enough...

yeah I was spending a kind of time for cable management. because it is very important for me:)

yeah I was spending a kind of time for cable management. because it is very important for me:)

I spent a pretty large amount of time on mine too, but it just got to the point for my GPUs of shoving the wires under the shroud and holding them back so they wouldn't pop out the back.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

This looks fantastic! Congrats :D

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

This looks fantastic! Congrats :D

thx:P

It would look much better without the anti-kinking stuff on the tubing.  

And also you should rotate the rad so the tubes face the other way, it usually looks better 

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

It would look much better without the anti-kinking stuff on the tubing.  

And also you should rotate the rad so the tubes face the other way, it usually looks better 

Tried that, IF I turn it around it will be strengthen and put pressure on the RAM, So I decided to be like this:D

I kinda like the Anti-kicking stuff on it:D Personal opinion:D 

No money left for a new monitor ??????  :huh:

no:(

I plan to get this one: Acer Predator XR341CK 34" 2560x1440 144Hz curved G-Sync Monitor

I always wanted a wide screen but with higher then 60 hz, do this will fill that spot for me

wow man the build looks amazing. have fun benchmarking

i think your friends wont see you for a month :)

you wanna get a new mouse? rgb mouse or what?

wow man the build looks amazing. have fun benchmarking

i think your friends wont see you for a month :)

you wanna get a new mouse? rgb mouse or what?

Thx:D

I don't know what mouse I want. I don't know what a good mouse is and what's not:/ I will look into it when the time comes

Upcoming upgrades:

New monitor

New mouse

Customloop watercooling 

Bigger SSD

paint motherboard:P

Asus ROG SLI bridge, cuze the current is ugly

Changing window to real glasswindow

Hey man, glad to see you finally got your X99 dream machine :D. Every time there was a X99 thread on LTT during the past 12 months you were there to comment on it! I was also hyped for X99 & preparing myself for an upgrade and after many months of waiting I finally got mine in december :D. I got mine simply because I wanted to go X99, not because I actually needed it and i'm sure the same applies to you :P. The Z97/DDR3 vs X99/DDR4 discussion will probably never end lol, I simply wanted to go all out & not go the "cheaper" route for once.

Nice to see that you managed to get a 4.6Ghz OC at 1.3v! My cpu needs 1.3125v to be stable at 4.6Ghz ;P. I think we can consider ourselves lucky with our chips =)

Definitely get that new monitor asap, it was the first thing I noticed in the pictures xD. And be careful with painting the motherboard!

Good luck

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

Hey man, glad to see you finally got your X99 dream machine :D. Every time there was a X99 thread on LTT during the past 12 months you were there to comment on it! I was also hyped for X99 & preparing myself for an upgrade and after many months of waiting I finally got mine in december :D. I got mine simply because I wanted to go X99, not because I actually needed it and i'm sure the same applies to you :P. The Z97/DDR3 vs X99/DDR4 discussion will probably never end lol, I simply wanted to go all out & not go the "cheaper" route for once.

Nice to see that you managed to get a 4.6Ghz OC at 1.3v! My cpu needs 1.3125v to be stable at 4.6Ghz ;P. I think we can consider ourselves lucky with our chips =)

Definitely get that new monitor asap, it was the first thing I noticed in the pictures xD. And be careful with painting the motherboard!

Good luck

Are you my long lost brother:D?

lol ... I never thought that this build would actually ever happen :D

All that nice hardware and than that monitor  :wacko:

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

lol ... I never thought that this build would actually ever happen :D

All that nice hardware and than that monitor  :wacko:

neither thought I it would happen:)

Yep, The monitor is awfull. But I will get this later on:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/acer-predator-xr341ck-34-curved-gaming-screen-with-g-sync.html

How did you manage to fit in the second 970 strix ? I had to unplug the 20 pin usb 3.0 connector since the second gtx 970 would not fit without bending the header. Ive got the x99 deluxe and 2 970 strix, pretty much identical build.  ( 90 degree adapter would be nice )  

me im stuck at 4.5 ghz on my 5820k, u got a good OC over there.

i want that coolerrr!! not available yet in NA :(

|| MOBO: ASUS - X99 A || CPU: INTEL I7-5820K 3.3 GHZ OC'D TO 4.5 GHZ 1.250 VOLTS ||

|| GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB || RAM: ADATA XPG Z1 4GB DDR4 2400 MHZ ||

|| PSU:  EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX750B 750WATT || OS: WINDOWS 8.1 64-BIT ||

Congrats for getting it done and reaching your goal, your build is awesome!

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

How did you manage to fit in the second 970 strix ? I had to unplug the 20 pin usb 3.0 connector since the second gtx 970 would not fit without bending the header. Ive got the x99 deluxe and 2 970 strix, pretty much identical build.  ( 90 degree adapter would be nice )  

I had the same issue like you, and yes first when I tried to fit it there, It was very hard!, I could not put it on.

but then it clapped in on someway, I checked the USB cable, it is bent down a little, but it still works. try it out, Just be patient so you don't break something.