Sudden high ping spikes on wireless connection.

temubrine

I have been playing online games on my PC using a Wi-Fi card and it's been just fine. Stable 35-45ms playing with rare spikes to maybe 50ms. Starting yesterday I was getting constant spikes. The game would show the latency going up to 150ms at times. I thought it was the servers but that is not the case. 

I attached results of a connection stability test and yeah. This is not just the PC by the way, I performed a similar test on my phone and it showed similar results.

So far I tried

-Unplugging and plugging back in the router

-Resetting the router

-Updating drivers

Please do not mention about the superior ethernet cable as that is a not very viable option for me. I am aware that it is better. Can't do it.

THANK YOU

Arc_lJZuaYsRYU.thumb.png.bcf5f8c8fd0186ac95f3769030303be0.png

1 hour ago, temubrine said:

I have been playing online games on my PC using a Wi-Fi card and it's been just fine. Stable 35-45ms playing with rare spikes to maybe 50ms. Starting yesterday I was getting constant spikes. The game would show the latency going up to 150ms at times. I thought it was the servers but that is not the case. 

I attached results of a connection stability test and yeah. This is not just the PC by the way, I performed a similar test on my phone and it showed similar results.

So far I tried

-Unplugging and plugging back in the router

-Resetting the router

-Updating drivers

Please do not mention about the superior ethernet cable as that is a not very viable option for me. I am aware that it is better. Can't do it.

THANK YOU

Arc_lJZuaYsRYU.thumb.png.bcf5f8c8fd0186ac95f3769030303be0.png

Assuming the ping spikes are caused by WiFi (and not the actual connection from your ISP, or the path between your ISP and whatever server you're connecting to), your options are to hardwire via ethernet, use something like PowerLine AV networking adapters, or potentially replace your router / access point with a better one, depending on the model you have now.

While I absolutely understand that wired ethernet is not a viable permanent solution for you, I would recommend temporarily connecting via ethernet to see if the problem goes away, as this will immediately point out if the root cause is WiFi or the connection between your modem and whatever server(s) you're connecting to. I would also test multiple games to rule out a single game's servers as being the problem.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Try doing in cmd as admin:

ipconfig /flushdns