Sleep vs Shut Down

Its on when I use it, thats it. Unless your folding or mining there's absolutely no reason to leave it on for 24/7.  Even when downloading things, its not on for more then a day straight. The primary downside would be power surges or other forms of electrical disturbances. There really is no point to having it on 24/7.

I am whatever I am. 

Its on when I use it, thats it. Unless your folding or mining there's absolutely no reason to leave it on for 24/7.  Even when downloading things, its not on for more then a day straight. The primary downside would be power surges or other forms of electrical disturbances. There really is no point to having it on 24/7.

so you are trying to say there is NOTHING in the WORLD that someone could POSSIBLY be doing with their computer besides folding or mining, that would require it to be on and available 24/7?

I'm sorry, but you are DEAD wrong.

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-

so you are trying to say there is NOTHING in the WORLD that someone could POSSIBLY be doing with their computer besides folding or mining, that would require it to be on and available 24/7?

I'm sorry, but you are DEAD wrong.

Unless you can stay awake 24/7, no. There is nothing that could possibly warrant the need to leave a computer on 24/7. Obviously personal servers or NAS-like backup solutions are excluded, as being on 24/7 is kinda the point of those. As far daily use and average workload, point stands. If you're downloading on a slow connection, 2-3 days doesn't count as 24/7. Or if you're doing a render, a few days at a time for render is, obviously, perfectly fine. But neither of those scenarios is "24/7". Either you don't understand what 24/7 is, or you took my meaning out of context. In the contents of this thread its safe to assume to that 24/7 means "ON for 24 hours a day 7 days a week 4 weeks a month (3 in feb) 12 months a year (excluding patch tuesday)". Being on for more then 24 hours a couple times a month doesn't count.

I am whatever I am. 

Which where I live is only 4.32 dollars. 

Which ~$50 per year, and needlessly producing greenhouse gases, unless you're using a clean source.

Which ~$50 per year, and needlessly producing greenhouse gases, unless you're using a clean source.

Nope... $4.32 per year. 

Nope... $4.32 per year. 

So you're paying $0.006 per kWh...

So you're paying $0.006 per kWh...

My bad- I forgot to multiply by 12.

My PC sleeps when I do.

I can't remember my last shut down and restart. If I shut down, it's because I accidentally hit shut down instead of sleep. 

Error: 410

Theres absolutely no need to leave it on with the use of SSDs now. I personally think you (as in people in general) are a moron if u leave your PC on 24/7. I could understand back in the 5400RPM days when it took 2-3 mins to boot up and wait for the HDD to stabilize. But we have SSDs now that take 10 seconds to boot up and ur done. Turn your PC off at night!

I have it on when I use it. It's not a server PC so there is no need to be up all the time.

There is nothing that could possibly warrant the need to leave a computer on 24/7. 

Folding, BOINC, mining...plenty of things.

I'm sure that none of you mean it when you say "[you] are a moron if you leave your PC on 24/7" and that Folding doesn't come to mind when discussing these kinds of things, because I'm taken aback at the amount of people saying that it's a "waste of money" or "detrimental of the life of your computer" or as above, "you are a moron when you leave your PC on 24/7".

Mine is on 24/7 because there is a SSH server on the thing and I like to use that for sftp so I can access my files from bed with different computers.

my baby runs 24/7 and only reboots for updates.

no reason for it really, but i like that its always instantly ready, and reachable if i am at work and need to look up something. and i usually download steam games through the night, or day-time when i am at work.

| CPU: intel i7 3820 OC to 4GHZ with H100i cooling | Case: Enthoo Evolv ATX glass | Mobo: Asus P9X79 Socket-2011 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz 16GB | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X

| PSU: Silver power 750w plus silver | SSD: OCZ Agility 3, 240GB / Toshiba 500GB | Monitors: Dell U2713HM, Acer Predator 27" | Headset: Sennheiser HD650| Soundcard: Xonar Essence STX

Folding, BOINC, mining...plenty of things.

I'm sure that none of you mean it when you say "[you] are a moron if you leave your PC on 24/7" and that Folding doesn't come to mind when discussing these kinds of things, because I'm taken aback at the amount of people saying that it's a "waste of money" or "detrimental of the life of your computer" or as above, "you are a moron when you leave your PC on 24/7".

Yeah, no kidding.  just the sheer scope of willful ignorance that others may have an actual use for their computers when they are asleep or out of home and the set like concrete mindset that they will not even entertain the possibility that someone has figured something out that they haven't just astounds me.

It's like pot and kettle.... calling someone that has discovered something (or some things) they have not a moron.... just astounding.

AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, my laptop stays on so I can log things off the 'net that otherwise I could not - conversations in IRC, temperatures in my room as I sleep (and when I am gone), et cetra.

My desktop stays on because I serve files with it - not just for myself but for others in this household.  It also seeds torrents (of legal things), keeps records of electrical line status (brownouts, blackouts, power blips), monitors for phone calls and records voicemails if I get any, wakes me up if I get an email sent to an inbox set for important messages (such as my website going down or a security alert from my bank of suspicious debit account activity), records alerts sent for my local area over NOAA radio.....

I could go on and on but I think even the pot and kettle people by now realize that yes there are valid reasons for me leaving my PCs on 24/7 and that I do indeed understand what 24/7 means (wow, talk about strawman argument up there).

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-

I just turn my desktop off. With an instant shutodwn, and a 4 second boot time, there is no reason not to shut it off. Just keeps my room cooler/quieter at night. I keep my laptop on 24/7 (or try to at least) because I am running some servers off it for media and games. 

| CPU: i7 4770k 4.3GHz | MOBO: GIGABYTE Z87 HD3 | RAM: 8GB A-Data XPG V1 | GPU: EVGA GTX 780 FTW | PSU: Corsair CS750M | Storage: A-Data SP900 256GB SSD+WD Black 3TB+Hitachi 250GB HDD | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Networking: Rosewill N900 PCE WiFi Adapter | OS: Windows 10 Pro+Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite | Case: NZXT H440 |

I turn it on in the morning and let it start up, then put it to sleep when I am not using it. I switch it off at night or when I go out. I do leave it on when I am downloading something though, as my internet is so slow and takes ages to download anything. Today for example, I've had it on all day as I'm downloading about 15GB worth of stuff, and it's barely a third done, after over 10 hours.

Rig - Processor: Intel core i5 3570k @4.3GHz, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX, GPU: XFX HD 7950 DD, with a Kraken G10 and Kraken X40, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4x4GB, HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484, Case: Phantom 530

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer 24-inch 1920x1080, Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4, Mouse: Logitech G9x, Headphones: Turtle Beach PX21, Mousepad: Steelseries QCK

I have to admit that Im not sure if this is correct, but I have always been told that a PC is actually better off running constantly instead of turning it off and on.....But mine is only on when I use it.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Just curious - does it cost a noticeable amount to leave it on? Does it wear anything out? Does it put it more at risk to hackers if it is always on?

if you were to put a pan on a fire 24/7 would the metal be affected? yes. motherboards and cpus being on always will degrade. obsorbing heat in general will affect everything 

I use hibernation, as often as I can. But rarely ever shutdown.

If I'm downloading I keep it on but if not I set it to sleep

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

If I'm downloading I keep it on but if not I set it to sleep

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I leave my PC on because it doubles as a media server. It idles at 150W anyway so it's more or less like leaving a lightbulb and a half running for the convenience of having access to movies and music on phones/tablets and other devices.

Never mind

Edited

I am whatever I am. 

Is Standby 24/7?

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

back in the days:

Lol, what the hell? Is that Win98? With balls to the walls every program in existance open.

hehe, that machine got it's fire from Win 2000 Prof. and was 'on the run' 24 / 7 ...there was a reboot once or twice a month and at install / gaming of course.... ^^

nowadys:

keeping the rigs on working hours...so maybe 8 to 10 hours a day...full run on most weekends ^^ ...and if it happens that there are no tasks at all; i even shut down the systems ( no hibernation bollocks)...

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]