Roku explores taking over HDMI feeds with ads

MrSpaceCake

Summary

Roku has filed a patent for a system to display ads on the TV screen when a pause has been detected from the HDMI output. It could even detect what kind of content is being outputted so it can serve the user more targeted adds

Roku is exploring ways to show consumers ads on its TVs even when they are not using its streaming platform: The company has been looking into injecting ads into the video feeds of third-party devices connected to its TVs, according to a recent patent filing.

This way, when an owner of a Roku TV takes a short break from playing a game on their Xbox, or streaming something on an Apple TV device connected to the TV set, Roku would use that break to show ads. Roku engineers have even explored ways to figure out what the consumer is doing with their TV-connected device in order to display relevant advertising.

I can see uses in the technology to detect pauses in the HDMI output, like turning of the TV after a few minutes to save power or to show a screensaver to prevent burn-in on OLED TVs. It is kinda sad that even when you just want to pause something on the TV Roku immediately whant to shove ads down your throat.

Sources

Tweet about the article

The lowpass article

The filed patent (google)

Utter BULL SHIT. If you ask me. All these greedy companies are doing is giving me a reason to NOT buy their product.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

33 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Utter BULL SHIT. If you ask me. All these greedy companies are doing is giving me a reason to NOT buy their product.

Just think about all the ones that have a TV with Roku "Built In"....... Yeah, this will end well.... NOT.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

The Lowpass article says:

Randomly interrupting a video game a consumer is playing on their Xbox would almost guarantee that no gamer would ever buy a Roku TV again.

I think most people would either avoid purchasing anything dealing with Roku, or they would get a sharp increase in customer complaints due to showing ads. I haven't purchased a TV in years, but this certainly has me avoiding anything Roku.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

14 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The Lowpass article says:

I think most people would either avoid purchasing anything dealing with Roku, or they would get a sharp increase in customer complaints due to showing ads. I haven't purchased a TV in years, but this certainly has me avoiding anything Roku.

Unfortunately the new home I just bought had an 85' Sony included with the home that has it built in.
Guess I'd need to look into how to disable it or just get another TV. 😵‍💫

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

You've paused the content because you need to direct your concentration elsewhere. How much are these pause ads going to be worth? Ad revenue has already dropped across pretty much all platforms. Platforms where there is high probability that these ads aren't playing to an empty room.

Remember when Roku just sold decent hardware? Good times.

I'll probably replace my aging Roku 2 with an Apple TV when I finally get tired of dealing with the thing.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

You've paused the content because you need to direct your concentration elsewhere. How much are these pause ads going to be worth? Ad revenue has already dropped across pretty much all platforms. Platforms where there is high probability that these ads aren't playing to an empty room.

It's not going to be worth a lot but I guess it's still worth something instead of nothing.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 hours ago, emosun said:

every airport tv showing an ad instead of the flight times......

Last I checked, Airports don't use televisions, they use computer monitors designed for this.

Not saying they wouldn't, but look at transit monitors:

New LCD displays with next train arrival times coming to SkyTrain platforms

These are in addition to the next-train time LED panels further down the track.

Every so often one of these information panels dies and sits there with a network boot prompt, which indicates that they are run by a computer somewhere in the station.

Airports tend to do the same. Only waiting room lounges ever have other types of equipment, and usually they're permanently running a video feed that is broadcast all over the terminal.

56 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

It's not going to be worth a lot but I guess it's still worth something instead of nothing.

It will be full of those AI voiced ads for scammy looking, drop-shipped gadgets, that plague YouTube.

Things I don't have to worry about cause roku doesn't operate in italy, but also cause a PC is better than any "smart" media box/dongle/TV.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

15 hours ago, MrSpaceCake said:

Summary

Roku has filed a patent for a system to display ads on the TV screen when a pause has been detected from the HDMI output. It could even detect what kind of content is being outputted so it can serve the user more targeted adds

I can see uses in the technology to detect pauses in the HDMI output, like turning of the TV after a few minutes to save power or to show a screensaver to prevent burn-in on OLED TVs. It is kinda sad that even when you just want to pause something on the TV Roku immediately whant to shove ads down your throat.

Sources

Tweet about the article

The lowpass article

The filed patent (google)

Other apps do this already on a smaller scale.  Pausing Peacock for instance brings up the ad screen, IIRC.  I think the Roku app does too.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

I really like roku this is kinda tragic. 

I hope this never sees the light of day.

I'm usually as lost as you are

17 hours ago, MrSpaceCake said:

according to a recent patent filing.

Just because they filed a patent doesn't mean they plan on doing it. A lot of patents are filed just to prevent competitors from using the idea or "just in case" they want to use it in the future.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

41 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Just because they filed a patent doesn't mean they plan on doing it. A lot of patents are filed just to prevent competitors from using the idea or "just in case" they want to use it in the future.

Even the fact that they want this patented is pretty uncomfy to me. Unless the technology literally just notices that the image isn't changing. I'm just worried they might just happen to gather other info from the image. 

I'm usually as lost as you are

I keep my TV disconnected from the internet for stuff like this. Used Ethernet for first time setup and installing updates, Ethernet cable was moved back to the Apple tv when done.

so what roku wants to do would break tos of the hdmi forum.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

If someone wanted to buy a 65 inch TV (OLED or Quantum Dot), can you get that in a dumb version? Meaning, none of the smart crap built in?

12 minutes ago, StDragon said:

If someone wanted to buy a 65 inch TV (OLED or Quantum Dot), can you get that in a dumb version? Meaning, none of the smart crap built in?

What you are asking was somewhat answered by BFGD - big format gaming display.

But the price is usually outrageously high and I think it has nVidia proprietary technology onboard.

I do not know if it is still viable in 2024.

On 4/5/2024 at 6:21 PM, BrandonTech.05 said:

Even the fact that they want this patented is pretty uncomfy to me. Unless the technology literally just notices that the image isn't changing. I'm just worried they might just happen to gather other info from the image. 

there was a patent a while back about a tv that would require you to say the company name out loud to skip advertisements. that never materialized.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

28 minutes ago, Sauron said:

there was a patent a while back about a tv that would require you to say the company name out loud to skip advertisements. that never materialized.

I wouldnt say never, they just waiting for the frogs to get slowly boiled.........

9 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I wouldnt say never, they just waiting for the frogs to get slowly boiled.........

patents run out eventually 🤷‍♂️

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, StDragon said:

There are very few TV manufactures who dont shove smart shit inside their TV's. With that they might not give you all the premium features if that's what you are looking for.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

There are very few TV manufactures who dont shove smart shit inside their TV's. With that they might not give you all the premium features if that's what you are looking for.

That's very unfortunate.

It's been awhile since I've purchased a TV, but all I want is the basics in software features. I want the TV to have a quality image, with only a tuner inside for over-the-air broadcasting. All other input would be over HDMI with the intelligence only with the boxes delivering the content (Apple TV, Consoles, etc).

I don't want adverts inserted, or my TV spying on me with telemetry uploaded.