Roku explores taking over HDMI feeds with ads

MrSpaceCake
2 minutes ago, StDragon said:

That's very unfortunate.

It's been awhile since I've purchased a TV, but all I want is the basics in software features. I want the TV to have a quality image, with only a tuner inside for over-the-air broadcasting. All other input would be over HDMI with the intelligence only with the boxes delivering the content (Apple TV, Consoles, etc).

I don't want adverts inserted, or my TV spying on me with telemetry uploaded.

Thats why I still use a 32" LCD TV thats only 720p, or use my PC where I can block all ads and such.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

That's very unfortunate.

It's been awhile since I've purchased a TV, but all I want is the basics in software features. I want the TV to have a quality image, with only a tuner inside for over-the-air broadcasting. All other input would be over HDMI with the intelligence only with the boxes delivering the content (Apple TV, Consoles, etc).

I don't want adverts inserted, or my TV spying on me with telemetry uploaded.

That's the idea behind all of it and proven by their stated intent:

On 4/4/2024 at 5:23 PM, MrSpaceCake said:

Roku engineers have even explored ways to figure out what the consumer is doing with their TV-connected device in order to display relevant advertising.

"To display relevant advertising" is a bullshit excuse to snoop and gather data on everyone.
It's not like everyone is tuning into the advertising channel for their viewing pleasure are they?

I doubt it, but the way this is going you woudn't need it anyway since all channels would serve that purpose.

One more thing - Do remember you are already paying for this "Service" just to watch TV through a provider, yet getting 50% or LESS of the actual content you want to see, all the rest being this advertising bullshit.
Makes me seriously consider ditching cable/sattelite TV and not worry about it at all.

Oh yeah - One more thing here:

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

there was a patent a while back about a tv that would require you to say the company name out loud to skip advertisements. that never materialized.

It woudn't last long if it had materialized - The advertising companies would make damned sure of it like it was with this:

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Looks like it's hammer time 🔨

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

6 hours ago, Sauron said:

there was a patent a while back about a tv that would require you to say the company name out loud to skip advertisements. that never materialized.

im hoping this goes the same way

I'm usually as lost as you are

I find this odd- a bunch of services (YouTube in particular) already show you ads when the content is paused.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

1 hour ago, GoStormPlays said:

I find this odd- a bunch of services (YouTube in particular) already show you ads when the content is paused.

Not when you have ad blockers enabled. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Not when you have ad blockers enabled. 

Are there adblockers for Roku?

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

1 minute ago, GoStormPlays said:

Are there adblockers for Roku?

No. But there are ad blockers for my PC. I refuse to own any product that pushes ads. I’ll never give up my dumb TV before it dies. 

Anyone who still has their TV continually connected to the internet at this point is insane.

Plug (wire) it in temporarily if you need a software update to fix a bug. Otherwise, never ever.

17 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Thats why I still use a 32" LCD TV thats only 720p, or use my PC where I can block all ads and such.

That’s certainly one way to squeeze a ton of years out of a GPU. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

58 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

No. But there are ad blockers for my PC. I refuse to own any product that pushes ads. I’ll never give up my dumb TV before it dies. 

I see your reasoning here, but it is kinda flawed.

You pay taxes to pay for using the roads and help keep streetlights up, but that doesn't erase the billboards from the road.

47 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

That’s certainly one way to squeeze a ton of years out of a GPU. 

Well to be honest my Mac is connected to it. But my GPU is showing its age and I have been thinking of moving my gaming PC to my TV. Just have to figure out the logistics as my TV is at the foot of my bed. Can’t afford to upgrade it or build a new one so it might help squeeze a few more years. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I mean, one could try something like PiHole, no?

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

33 minutes ago, Lightwreather said:

It might work. Though it won’t work for all ads. YouTube for example. 

8 hours ago, Lightwreather said:

lol, maybe that's the solution I've been looking for: just don't connect the damn TV to the internet... at all!

Guess I can have my "Dumb TV" after all 🙂

Asinine.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER