Has Anyone Else Unsubscribed From Gamers Nexus?

nick name

For a while I appreciated their more in-depth videos, but now they just seem gleeful to try to find something negative to post about.  Others present negative things in a more matter-of-fact manner and that I appreciate, but Gamers Nexus seems so much more happy to have found something wrong than to simply report something wrong.  

I once posted something on a video Gamers Nexus responded to that was meant to express my disappointment in the tone of their videos and their response spoke volumes and today their post solidified my opinion of their desired direction.  

Gamers Nexus now feels like the complaints people have about gamers in general.  The opinion that too many gamers will thanklessly accept all of the "expected" offerings that companies will provide, but then boisterously condemn anything they feel spurns them.  And enjoy complaining more than the satisfaction of a product well made.

It's disappointing. 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I stay subbed because I enjoy the odd video, but I rarely make it through their content without falling asleep.

I mean that literally. His voice and constant tone knocks me right out.

I also don't really see the point in unsubbing. Doesn't really do much either way.

Every content creator has to find their niche. He's made videos on the downsides, and they've done exceptionally well. So, that's what he'll continue doing until it doesn't work anymore.

It's fine if you'd like to express your distaste with the direction of their videos, but it seems rather odd to post about it just because they don't agree with you. It's their channel, their direction. They don't cater to only you.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I honestly dont know what kind of tone you are talking about. I have never seen them take glee in being negative. They have made some damning pieces, yes, but that goes into my next point, They are very fair, and dont take kindly to bullshitting. They have a mentality of "do better." And to do better, you have to be critical to see where you can put effort into doing better. 

Edit:
There might be a disconnect. They present with an engineering mindset. Engineers don't ever go "Damn it's perfect" They go damn, how do we improve it inside our given constraints. what constraints can we bend on a revision, what have I learned, and what can be applied the next time I do something similar? Gamers Nexus has always kept the fact engineering is always about compromise in mind, they don't ask for impossible bullshit like "gamers" do when being negative. Gamers Nexus also has a foundational philosophy of getting rid of FOMO, the newest thing is an improvement yes, but there is no reason to upgrade unless you have a good reason to upgrade. And as another user pointed out, there is a certain problem-solving enjoyment in figuring out problems that engineers, and people with similar mindsets all share. 

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

but I rarely make it through their content without falling asleep.

I mean that literally. His voice and constant tone knocks me right out.

Same here. It's much better nowadays than it was ~5 years ago around the Pascal/Turing era, but he still can put me to sleep if I'm not in the right mood for it. I never really subbed in the first place because of that, more just check them out every once in a while for their big pieces like the 12VHPWR controversy, the 7800X3D video that just came out, etc., as well as some individual products reviews like CPU/GPU reviews (though admittedly I will skip to just the graphs a lot of the time), but can't watch every video or even the vast majority. 

They do really good work and I'm happy they're in the space, but they are hard to get through sometimes. 

OP, I'm not really sure where you're coming from where they're happy they found something wrong. They definitely enjoy the process of reverse engineering a problem to cover it if that's what you're referring to, but at the same time that's the type of thing any fan of Mythbusters growing up would enjoy as well, and it would be impossible for them to take that joy 100% out of the script. Nor do I really see the need to, it doesn't change the fact that their overall opinion of all the issues is "This is bad, this company did a bad, they should be made the subject of fun because of said bad." As long as that point is clear and throughout (which IMO it very much is), I don't see the need to temper their excitement to be able to use really cool testing equipment to figure out what happened to something. 

I unsub'd about 2 or 3 years ago and now rarely check out specific videos if no one else has done a particular topic yet. Steve seems to have tech smarts but the presentation of content feels twisted to amplify drama. I did watch the video where Intel visited him around Arc launch, and he was visibly squirming knowing the crap he has said in the past, which he noted in the video. He does take forever to get to the point. A 30 minute video might have 10 minutes of actual content. Waste of electrons.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Eh, I think they just chose to present the fault they found with a seemingly gleeful manner to show how ironically funny the fault is.

Considering they are a much smaller channel than LTT, they sure work hard at finding & presenting the fault they've found. Up to sending something to a real lab to find the cause, like with 12VHPWR burning connector.

The only thing keeping me from buying their merch to support them is the damn shipping fee to my country :x

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I have never liked Gamer Nexus except one video now and then, I can't point exactly why right now tho.

I have recently subscribed to Der8bauer tho.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

ya there are times were it is all about informing about a negative product. but he also is not sponserd buy it so he can say w/e he want about it un like all other reviews that have to say more positive stuff about it. and still the negative stuff can be filtered. they have the final say...

but he dose make a list and time of the topic so you can just skip to what you want to hear... 🤷‍♂️

unlike yongyea on yt makes like 90% negative videos... it would be nice for these people to also put time in and offing a good game to play instead. imo but negativity sells sadly 😞

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

No way, his vids are really good for background noise.

Though I do agree he’s becoming much more of investigative tech journalist these days.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

I unsubscribed to GN in August 2022. My thoughts at the time in a forum post here:

"I really have to say that while I appreciated GN being an enthusiast-level perspective and calling things as they saw them in the past, they're really starting to get pedantic and I can't take them seriously anymore. Comes off as disingenuous and holier-than-thou and I don't have the patience or time for that type of attitude."

I think I've maybe seen one video of theirs since then, but I have no urge to support that type of outlook. 

If you are considering making a purchase decision, GN is as neutral as you can get. 

However there are definitely some issues I do find with the GN content, namely, not condensing things. Yes the timestamps are in the video, but problem is it really needs to be

1 Video = 1 Hardware topic

When you review a part, then the entire video should be on that part and the related competition in the benchmarks.

However the GN news stuff tends to fly all over the place. In some cases I wish the hardware videos were completely separate from the industry news about things he doesn't actually have.

Can't unsub, if never subbed to begin with. Not my type of content.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Never subbed. Their videos are basically "can't afford an expensive PC? you're an idiot" for 50 like minutes.

That is another take im lost on. They strongly try to steer you away from buying expensive. 
They pushed the r5 1600 kf (aka zen+ varient) pretty hard for its value, they are just straight up value focused.
Steve is strongly into building something that lasts a long time and to not upgrade every year, so you could call those builds "expensive" but you are not buying top end parts to do that.

Like he dailies an FX 8350 iirc. 
I was dailying an i7 2600k for a decade before going to a 7700x Q4 with microcenter deals, and just bring forward my GPUs

I recently subscribed to GN because I like their videos more than sensationalized ones. Finding things wrong with a product and figuring out how to make it better is called engineering, not complaining.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

They seem to be much more like a tech critic as opposed to a tech reviewer. Which I actually think is pretty cool. It gets boring listening to the same talking points for the same products from every other channel.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Like I appreciate they rake these companies over the coals 

8 hours ago, Caroline said:

Never subbed. Their videos are basically "can't afford an expensive PC? you're an idiot" for 50 like minutes.

I never got that impression 

8 hours ago, Caroline said:

Care to explain?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I subbed to all the PC tech channels a few years ago when I was on a big PC building kick. I've unsubbed to all of them now. It gets pretty boring after a while.

I agree with all your points about GNs holier than thou attitude. Other channels like Jayz2cent and bitwit are more like personal blogs (and I just heard the latter has quit). Hardware canucks never has anything relevant to me. And LTT is clickbait nonsense for kids.

Steve might have a bit of a monotonous and slow presentation, but honestly, GN videos are a prime candidate for playing back at 1.5x or 2x speed. They become much more bearable that way. As for the content, nothing forces you to watch everything. I watch a minority of their content.

Most reasonably, I'd argue you should only watch specific reviews when you're in the market of buying something anyways. I don't see the point of watching every case review under the sun, especially while I'm not intending to buy something. Just watch the most recent one whenever you're buying something and you'll get the most recent graphs to compare things. If you see a data point in one of the graphs that's important to you from a different case, look up the review for that case for more info.

This is consumer facing reporting, after all, not entertainment. No need to treat it as such.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

I unsubbed from GN a long time ago and agree with much of the criticism here. He seemed like the type of guy with a superiority complex obliged to give the final word on everything. He always seemed bored, exasperated, and amused by new products that don't meet his standards. Like if a new cpu wasn't a big enough improvement over last gen's then the engineers who made it are idiots; moreover, you're an idiot for even considering to buy one.

In all fairness I think a lot of tech reviewers are guilty of trying to make themselves look smart and important by pooping all over a big company's new product. GN just seems like the type of guy who'd be really hard to work with or be friends with irl.

1 hour ago, mwagen said:

He seemed like the type of guy with a superiority complex obliged to give the final word on everything. He always seemed bored, exasperated, and amused by new products that don't meet his standards.

Nah, that's just how he sounds. Like there are people out there, that use one kind of speech for speaking to "no audience" which is the camera, and another for when there is actually a face in front of them.

I do pick up a hint of condescending tone when he talks about companies like Nvidia, AMD or Intel when it comes to the actual value something is. "Thanks Steve." 

Just keep in mind that what you expect from guys in tech reviews tends to come between everywhere from excitable puppy like Linus to "oh wow, yet another thing we didn't need" of Steve. Some people are really excited, all the time, to review products, even if the products are bad.

Like just to stick the shoe on the other foot, Linus sometimes sounds like he's reading a script against his will. Not very often, but sometimes you hear that "ugh" kind of being held back.

Trust me, content creators, unless they are using TTS voices, that have no emotional quality at all, usually can not mask non-interest in things. Both Linus and Steve do show interest most of the time, and it's those edge-cases where maybe the product is a bit questionable where it feels like "oh wow, we're doing a review of a product that is a waste of sand again? ugh, get it over with."

I have a degree of sympathy for people trying to review the latest stuff, as impressive as a 4090 is in terms of FPS, there's no hiding from the size, power and price of modern stuff, it wasn't that long ago I paid 600 for a new, 2 slot, 3080, and that was considered expensive compared to say when the 1080 launched.

95c 13900k?

7800x3d failures?

4 slot gpus using 600w of power?

$600 motherboards?

It's a strange time for tech.