Has Anyone Else Unsubscribed From Gamers Nexus?

nick name
12 hours ago, Sol_NB said:

I mean, isn’t the thing we want from channels like this is to find the bad stuff?

Some people just prefer living in a world of beautiful lies

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

I have a lot of respect for GN and what they do, yes it can be slow and monotonous but you can tell how much effort they put into every video.  Also they pay out of pocket for almost everything they review which kinda blows my mind.  Many other channels, ltt, bitwit, etc, almost entirely produce sponsored content.  GN also focuses on more obscure things, for example the $3 cpu cooler they recently reviewed.  Steve has mentioned multiple times that he loves reporting and you can really see that show in their more press-like videos.  They're far from the cookie-cutter constantly screaming youtuber thats just trying to farm views.  Steve's content is unique and it has it's own charm to it.

55 minutes ago, Caroline said:

They review cheap stuff only to make people who can't afford any better feel bad and throw shame on their choices. Have a Chinese cooler? you're an idiot and also a communist, here's a 20 minute video on how Noctua and Thermalright are far better.

It's the stereotypical elitist reddit-infused channel that does 'reviews' on cheap products for the lulz. I'm not giving them any more views (therefore money) but the few videos I've watched a while ago were that, in a nutshell.

That other guy Jayz 2 cent is the same. That's what gets them views I suppose. When it comes to tech I'd rather read articles or forum posts than watch videos because the quality of most tech channels is close to terrible.

I'd rather watch bigclive or electroboom than PC channels but that's.....

he... raves about the Chinese coolers and recommends them

Are you confusing him with someone else?

5 hours ago, Caroline said:

They review cheap stuff only to make people who can't afford any better feel bad and throw shame on their choices. Have a Chinese cooler? you're an idiot and also a communist, here's a 20 minute video on how Noctua and Thermalright are far better.

It's the stereotypical elitist reddit-infused channel that does 'reviews' on cheap products for the lulz. I'm not giving them any more views (therefore money) but the few videos I've watched a while ago were that, in a nutshell.

That other guy Jayz 2 cent is the same. That's what gets them views I suppose. When it comes to tech I'd rather read articles or forum posts than watch videos because the quality of most tech channels is close to terrible.

I'd rather watch bigclive or electroboom than PC channels but that's.....

I don’t agree with the points above about their cheaper product reviews.  

But I do believe there is a lack of coverage for the cheaper end of the market, as most focus on top end bleeding edge highest price items, which while might make decent add revenue and we all click on probably isn’t what  we buy.

however I believe it’s probably because YT rewards entertainment and ads are more rewarding for the top end. 

if you ask for advice atm it’s probably going to be get a 40 series card, or DDR5 etc and not have specific needs and use cases. 

a lot of demographics are not covered, but that’s also probably a vicious cycle of the YT algorithm pushing certain content that draws in a certain demographic which then UT rewards etc.

I would love to see more stuff covering things like

Gaming on a Budget

How to build a family PC that would also suit for gaming

Options for BYOD workplaces

products focused more on roles ie for graphic design, art working, programming, data mining etc 

as all of the above will have different needs, and often witb the first two most of the advice comes from people on the industry who have used certain products, but don’t actually understand the tech behind it or what it means. 

8 hours ago, HomicidalPingu said:

GN pay for most of the stuff they test such as the prebuilt systems. They also don’t take payment from companies sending them review samples. 

I never said they take payments from companies. That's illegal. I said they make money by reviewing free products.

43 minutes ago, HomicidalPingu said:

If it’s illegal why isn’t Linus in jail? 

Do they even get free products? Don’t know if they’ve been blacklisted by Nvidia and Intel yet. 

You're very confused. No legitimate youtuber takes money for a review. As I said that's illegal. We are not talking about sponsors.

All of the major channels absolutely get free products and are not on any blacklist. We know this because their reviews go up the moment an embargo is lifted because they already had the product for a week.

never subscribed, also channel is long blocked since the zalmann "review" or was it where they desperately tried to burn up an nzxt case which wouldn't burn at normal usage... (and i hate nzxt, but that was a bit too much and too blatant)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

never subscribed, also channel is long blocked since the zalmann "review" or was it where they desperately tried to burn up an nzxt case which wouldn't burn at normal usage... (and i hate nzxt, but that was a bit too much and too blatant)

What Zalman review?

Also, is the NZXT case burn up when NZXT was under fire for the PCIe riser card? Or is it a different situation?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

11 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I have no idea what zalmann review you are referring to. 
Also, multiple people already had fires by the time they investigated the NZXT case issue, no shit they are not just going to just build and walk away, they are going to investigate why and what tolerances are needed to do it. What do you mean normal usage? what they showed was a short to case was possible under normal usage. They didn't do something a normal user would not do. They also don't hate nzxt, there are a bunch of cases from them that they like.  IT DOES BURN AT NORMAL USAGE. the same way they forced the 12vhpr on 40 series cards to start a fire, it was happening, multiple times, before they did their investigation. At least the 12vhpr was user error, the NZXT case fire issue wasn't user error, it was literally screw in riser, oh fuck short. 

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What Zalman review?

Also, is the NZXT case burn up when NZXT was under fire for the PCIe riser card? Or is it a different situation?

Dude having the same reaction as me.

On 4/30/2023 at 2:00 AM, nick name said:

For a while I appreciated their more in-depth videos, but now they just seem gleeful to try to find something negative to post about.  Others present negative things in a more matter-of-fact manner and that I appreciate, but Gamers Nexus seems so much more happy to have found something wrong than to simply report something wrong.  

I once posted something on a video Gamers Nexus responded to that was meant to express my disappointment in the tone of their videos and their response spoke volumes and today their post solidified my opinion of their desired direction.  

Gamers Nexus now feels like the complaints people have about gamers in general.  The opinion that too many gamers will thanklessly accept all of the "expected" offerings that companies will provide, but then boisterously condemn anything they feel spurns them.  And enjoy complaining more than the satisfaction of a product well made.

It's disappointing. 

Have you ever noticed that the stories in movies aren't "Everything is going great, and nothing bad ever happens"? 

Because that is boring, and nothing is ever perfect. 

People are happy that they have developed the skills and acquired to the tools to do their job at a high level, and are enthusiastic about their work.  This should be celebrated not criticized.

5 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Have you ever noticed that the stories in movies aren't "Everything is going great, and nothing bad ever happens"? 

Because that is boring, and nothing is ever perfect. 

People are happy that they have developed the skills and acquired to the tools to do their job at a high level, and are enthusiastic about their work.  This should be celebrated not criticized.

This is something I appreciate about Gamers Nexus. They are not afraid to give companies criticism, and stick to their guns, and do real investigations on issues, rather than glossing over it, or entirely ignoring it. It's the engineering aspect that I appreciate. Their videos are long for sure, but they're also in-depth. 

I work in the government space, so let me tell you...there are many things that are NOT perfect. Every day, I see it. People here complaining that they only go after negativity are simply wrong. GN does make negative videos, but that's because many products now are just cash grabs, and they're pointing that out, but they also make positive videos too, or contribute to communities. 

Something that I've been saying at work is that positivity can be toxic, specifically if that attempt at being positive means shutting out the negativity and pretending it doesn't exist. That's just ignoring the problems of your own local areas, as well as the issues of the world. The world is full of negativity, and shutting it out won't make it go away. It'll just make it worse.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

3 hours ago, Chris_UK said:

Gaming on a Budget

How to build a family PC that would also suit for gaming

Options for BYOD workplaces

products focused more on roles ie for graphic design, art working, programming, data mining etc 

as all of the above will have different needs, and often witb the first two most of the advice comes from people on the industry who have used certain products, but don’t actually understand the tech behind it or what it means. 

I feel like a website with partlists are better for that as the part recommendation changes a lot, but the build itself... is the same. Youtube videos with minor variations is just channel suicied, and for good reason.  Just push people to things like this https://www.logicalincrements.com/ and have them deviate as necessary. 

7 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

This is something I appreciate about Gamers Nexus. They are not afraid to give companies criticism, and stick to their guns, and do real investigations on issues, rather than glossing over it, or entirely ignoring it. It's the engineering aspect that I appreciate. Their videos are long for sure, but they're also in-depth. 

I work in the government space, so let me tell you...there are many things that are NOT perfect. Every day, I see it. People here complaining that they only go after negativity are simply wrong. GN does make negative videos, but that's because many products now are just cash grabs, and they're pointing that out, but they also make positive videos too, or contribute to communities. 

Something that I've been saying at work is that positivity can be toxic, specifically if that attempt at being positive means shutting out the negativity and pretending it doesn't exist. That's just ignoring the problems of your own local areas, as well as the issues of the world. The world is full of negativity, and shutting it out won't make it go away. It'll just make it worse.

I don't even agree with that framing; CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is not and has never been, negative. People that view it as negative are just straight up wrong. Sugar-coating constructive criticism only obfuscates things and is anti-productive, it is misleading. GN, as far as I have seen it, only ever goes "negative" when a company starts playing games instead of improving and owning their own shit. You often find the engineers at the companies, are fine with it and supportive of it, its PR teams and the non-technical management that doesn't get it. 

8 hours ago, Caroline said:

The impression I get when they review cheaper products is that you can get much better performance if you spend a few extra dollars. That's not elitism. That's just reality. Obviously if the cheaper cooler is SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than the more expensive variants, buy that. I'm pretty sure Steve has said that too, or at least said something along the lines of "only buy it if it's this cheap". 

There's also nothing wrong with high standards. 

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I'm pretty sure Steve has said that too, or at least said something along the lines of "only buy it if it's this cheap".

That tends to be his opinion. There's a time and a place for the ultra affordable or low end products but they have to be priced right and still do their job. When a product is priced cheaply and can't do its job then it has no reason to exist in the market. That's not elitism, that's common sense.

Or at least it should be common. Evidence has been posted otherwise it seems. If we aren't critical of products where necessary that's how you end up with Nvidia trying to charge $900 for a $300 GPU.

4 minutes ago, starsmine said:

I don't even agree with that framing; CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is not and has never been, negative. People that view it as negative are just straight up wrong. Sugar-coating constructive criticism only obfuscates things and is anti-productive, it is misleading. 

Sure, if someone says "this [content] sucks!" without giving a reason, that's just useless. However, even if the intent is for the criticism to be constructive, and it comes off like that, the person on the receiving end can think that they can't do anything right if it occurs enough. Basically, it can backfire. And I don't think it's necessarily wrong for people to view it as negative. Constructive criticism is a negative response used to improve on something. But it's still an opinion, and from a certain perspective, and whatever that person did just doesn't jive with the criticizer. It doesn't make the person wrong - in fact the person giving the criticism could be wrong, especially if they have no place to give their opinion.

27 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What Zalman review?

read what i wrote and maybe watch the video... the case did not burn until  he massively "helped"

super deceptive... doesn't matter if there where actual cases, its still not upright. 

25 minutes ago, starsmine said:

what zalmann review

cpu cooler review-- about as good as comparable noctuas, but he "cant recommend it" because he doesn't like the advertising... just odd and kinda showed his true colors (highly biased)

simply not a trustworthy channel in my opinion 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

read what i wrote and maybe watch the video... the case did not burn until  he massively "helped"

super deceptive... doesn't matter if there where actual cases, its still not upright. 

cpu cooler review-- about as good as comparable noctuas, but he "cant recommend it" because he doesn't like the advertising... just odd and kinda showed his true colors (highly biased)

I read what you wrote, case was throwing sparks and was shorted before he massively "helped"  
it was not deceptive. He showed the mechanism of HOW it was already starting fires. and by helped... he twisted a screw. 

Literally... just twisted a screw. aka something a normal user would fucking do, or would have the screw in the right spot to do that after their build and at some point, it sparks just right and catches fire when not at home. There was nothing misleading here. Screw will twist when in shipping as well as vibrations make it back in or back out. OH WOW went to a LAN party, now my house is on fire. 

Im sorry, lying about your product in your advertising is a solid reason to not recommend it. Dude is biased against false advertising, such an awful thing to be biased against. holy hell. The data is still in the video for those who still want it. Just imagine seeing a company just LIE about a product and saying, oh you fine, ill actively recommend it anyways. 
Is this what you are talking about? 
His statements are, the cooler is average. (which is not a negative) and if you like the way it looks, cool.

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

The channel is more on the engineering side of things, so they were figuring what would lead to these situations, which honestly were not totally out of line with what could happen with a normal user, and presented too much of a risk. 

Steve can have his own opinions too, and he's also recommended that his audience look at other reviews, just as a "by the by" because they could all have different takes on the same product. 

Everyone is biased, no matter how neutral they try to be. It's how the human brain works, and everyone has motives, ulterior or not, malicious or not.

My biggest issue, apart from the " X is an idiot" attitude, is the need to point out how much integrity they have. 

I do believe it but show, don't tell. If he feels the need to mention it all the time, what is wrong?

And if they could just stop with the cheap shockumentary music in there deep diving pieces. 

Its good journalism, but it gets mucked up with too much fake tension, although that may be a European vs American thing. 

Again, they do a good job, but I too have been turned off a bit. Can't please everyone though. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

8 minutes ago, HomicidalPingu said:

They’re presented as reviews 

If they are, report them to the platform. It's VERY illegal to take money for a review, and it should be.

6 minutes ago, HomicidalPingu said:

Not really, plenty of ways around everything. Might not be “paid” for the review but how about we buy a block of sponsorship on other videos because you give us a positive review. Most of LTTs content now is also ads presented as a review stylistically with manufacturers sales points presented as their own opinion. 

So, they are not being presented as reviews.

14 minutes ago, HomicidalPingu said:

Most of LTTs content now is also ads presented as a review stylistically with manufacturers sales points presented as their own opinion. 

Can you give an example?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, HomicidalPingu said:

Nearly everything on short circuit 

Well you said LTT, which is a different channel. But can you give an example of ads being presented as reviews on Short Circuit?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

No, why would I punish them by unsubscribing when they are the ones who really try to investigate issues. And spend hundreds of dollars in doing so. Just so we can have actual facts. They are very good in telling you in detail what is going on. And what is causing the issues. They honestly should get even more subscribers.

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate