Windows 11 - Update - iPhone, Bing Chat, Record screen and more

GoodBytes

Microsoft direction to release updates more frequently, and less holding back completed feature for months on end until some late release date on a calendar, Microsoft is wave releasing a new update for Windows 11 owners.

This new update will feature a number of interesting features.

Screen Video Recording

Snipping Tools has been updated to not only take screenshots but can also do video recording.
Simply pick the filming camera under Snipping Tool, and hit "+ New". When you do, you can define the area of your screen to record, and it will record it,

733668010_Screenshot2023-02-28101305.png.222134338cb6c52d814ce604851d2d73.png

iPhone SupportScreen-Recording-Snipping-Tool-8.thumb.webp.0beece8a4502ba39718dd349c7a0017d.webp

Phone Link app is an app that allows you to interact with your phone from your PC. You can send, receive SMS messages and phone calls. You can get your phone notifications, battery life, control media playback, access recent pictures taken from the device, including easy transferring them to your PC, complete with drag and drop direct from the Phone Link app to, say Word or whatever app you are using. For Samsung phone users, you can also stream phone apps on your PC as well.

Sadly, for iPhone users were left out due to Apple restrictions.

Today, it looks like some agreement was managed to be done and now Phone Link supports iPhone's with not only SMS support but also iMessage. 

Phone-Link-2.thumb.webp.2841c044c9dc552b0c5dd6f05767701c.webp

Notepad Gets Tabs

933274112_Screenshot2023-02-28110715.thumb.png.3b0ab2490e524f8d4e5ff2269aceec47.png

Improved Tablet Support

On devices that goes in tablet mode, the taskbar can now be collapsed (a new state) and can be shown in full size by swiping upwards.

In this minimized state you still have the date and system tray icon show. 

tablet-taskbar-graphic.thumb.png.d990bf4ad8a087309d6438dedd7b8178.png

Bing Chat Integration

Search box of Windows 11 now integrates with Bing Open AI Chat.

You can ask a question directly and hit the "b" Bing button on the bar to get a panel that will appear and chat with Bing new AI chat system.

Widgets Panel - Improvements 

A long time awaiting since its announcement, third party Widgets is here... kinda... not really.

Outlook, Todo, Sport, PhoneLink, Family Safety, Weather and a few more are all apps you can pin on the Widget panel. Spotify joins in with its own widget. The first third-party widget for it.

Widget panel can also be expanded full screen.

Widgets-6.thumb.webp.a30104bcb8f51214dcf26191a74d19e9.webp

Other improvements 

• Braille display support
  • Energy recommendations to help concern power (desktops and laptops) (Settings > System > Power & battery > Energy recommendations)
  • Windows 11 Pro devices and higher that are Azure Active Directory (AAD) joined: Improved Start menu file recommendations via an AI-powered system.
  • Enterprise only: Windows 365 - New app to access your Cloud PC
  • Windows Studio Effects settings from the action center. This applies to devices that support this feature only.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2023/02/28/introducing-a-big-update-to-windows-11-making-the-everyday-easier-including-bringing-the-new-ai-powered-bing-to-the-taskbar/

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Notepad Gets Tabs

Biggest feature improvement hands down. The more apps that can have tabs, the better. I'm not joking its a great way to work.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

All good things. 

Interesting news about iOS working with the Phone Link app. I recently started using Intel Unison which does essentially the same thing and then they go and add this. 

I will admit this made me chuckle more than it should've

image.png.4d055f3b335c7735573d0ccb7b0138c9.png

Anyway, tabs in notepad… Finally!

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

I'm really curious as to the iOS-Phone Link integration. From what I have read in a different article, it will obviously have slightly less features than Android integration, but it should have all the important basics. I hope it works well, and I'm excited to try it out.

I might add that this might be the biggest encroachment on the iOS-Mac ecosystem that Apple has built up. iMessage, phone calls, notifications, etc. in my opinion have been some of the more enticing features for the more "less-pro" of Apple users. Why? Because it makes basic tasks much easier, and you don't have to pick up your phone as often among other things (Might I add that often the techier people overestimate how much the average consumer cares about the more "advanced" features. The basic ones tend to appeal much more-see iMessage and the green vs blue bubble.). If Windows manages to execute this basic arrangement well, they might end up having a pretty stellar product, having both phone integration and the much wider and much more open app environment all in one product. 

(I still want to have an entire Apple ecosystem. Why? I'm a child. Don't worry, I'll always still have a PC 🤣.)

Edited by Dominik W
Clarified one sentence in the 2nd paragraph.

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Snipping Tools has been updated to not only take screenshots but can also do video recording.

Finally! This is going to be so fucking awesome for tech support.

Search box of Windows 11 now integrates with Bing Open AI Chat.

Yay? Can we have a version of Windows search that doesn't fuck around in the interwebs?

Widgets Panel

Do people use that even? The Widgets Panel really feels like the most unnecessary feature ever, even compared to Cortana. It's somehow even more useless than Windows Vista widgets. At least those were able to show system information.

That record desktop in Snipping tool was introduced like 2 updates ago and yet it's still not even here when all available Win11 updates are installed. Does MS tend to introduce all of these new features that's only available for Insiders and have no intention of releasing them to the public. It would be nice for them to next time have the updates available and ready for public download, before they start blogging about some new features for Win11.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

That record desktop in Snipping tool was introduced like 2 updates ago and yet it's still not even here when all available Win11 updates are installed. Does MS tend to introduce all of these new features that's only available for Insiders and have no intention of releasing them to the public. It would be nice for them to next time have the updates available and ready for public download, before they start blogging about some new features for Win11.

They were problems with this features on some hardware configurations, that had to be fixed. I was one of them affected. Works now.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

They were problems with this features on some hardware configurations, that had to be fixed. I was one of them affected. Works now.

What works?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Today, it looks like some agreement was managed to be done and now Phone Link supports iPhone's with not only SMS support but also iMessage.

So this means you can send and receive iMessages from your PC?

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

Phone link, I have heard about it but not tried it. I have been using PushBullet but it works way worse now than it did before, it's slow, so when I now got reminded of Phone Link then maybe I should check out how it works and and maybe switch.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

In other words they working on crap no-one asked for/needs and/or playing catching up with linux DEs.......

18 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

They do not need an agreement. They should be able to use the same protocole as cars have used for years to talk to the phone. This will let them do a few things
* seng messages

* read incoming messages

* list messages

* read contact info
* make phone calls

* receive phone calls

However there will likly be limited due to the nature of the age of this protocol, I would be very surprised if you can have any images in those messages for example or know if someone is typing to you etc.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

In other words they working on crap no-one asked for/needs and/or playing catching up with linux DEs.......

less and less people need a desktop/laptop for anything, so they are trying to make it as appealing as they can to anyone still using one.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The desktop recording is incredibly well done, played with it last night. Just drag a box, press record, then it goes straight to your clipboard like a screenshot would. 

I love Notepad tabs. The video recording is neat.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, hishnash said:

They do not need an agreement. They should be able to use the same protocole as cars have used for years to talk to the phone. This will let them do a few things
* seng messages

* read incoming messages

* list messages

* read contact info
* make phone calls

* receive phone calls

However there will likly be limited due to the nature of the age of this protocol, I would be very surprised if you can have any images in those messages for example or know if someone is typing to you etc.

From my understanding, Microsoft has been trying to implement support for iOS devices since day 1, but they could not get approval from Apple to make it work.

Apple argument was to buy a Mac.

Now considering that Windows 11 is officially supported on M1 Mac, and the fact that Phone Link app has this feature, Apple apps on the MS Store sounds like some sort of agreement was done at some point in time.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

From my understanding, Microsoft has been trying to implement support for iOS devices since day 1, but they could not get approval from Apple to make it work.

Apple argument was to buy a Mac.

Now considering that Windows 11 is officially supported on M1 Mac, and the fact that Phone Link app has this feature, Apple apps on the MS Store sounds like some sort of agreement was done at some point in time.

I’m pretty sure Windows 10 had support for iPhones. I never tried it because it required installing some 3rd party app. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Bing Chat Integration was by far the biggest fart ripped around the world. It's JUST A STUPID HYPERLINK TO THE BROWSER!! 🤬

42 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Bing Chat Integration was by far the biggest fart ripped around the world. It's JUST A STUPID HYPERLINK TO THE BROWSER!! 🤬

Well, at least it's not another app. Hmmm...probably will be under Win12 knowing MS.

Just updated and tried Phone Link with my iPhone. Still only shows Android as an option. It also doesn't show up under "see what's new". Am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, 470vinyl said:

Just updated and tried Phone Link with my iPhone. Still only shows Android as an option. It also doesn't show up under "see what's new". Am I missing something?

Are you on an insider build? According to the article that feature is just for insiders at the moment, by the sound of it.

edit: in fact, re-reading it, looks like it's only a subset of insiders, and growing from there over time.