Dell accidently sent me 14 of their G15 (5515) Gaming laptop. What should I do?

Epic Squeaker
Go to solution Solved by Epic Squeaker,

I have decided to wait for a response from Dell. If they want it back then they will have to call and come here and take it them selves. If they don't and they are asking for a shipping charge then I don't think its my responsibility to send it back to them. And if they dont take them then this will help me pay back my student loans. Thankyou everyone for the responses. 

So the story goes is that I bought a Dell G15 around August and after using it found out the headphone jack was broken. I contacted Dell and asked them to fix it to which they said they'll send me a replacement laptop and once I receive it, I send back the old one. A few months go by and the laptop finally arrives but instead of one, they sent me 14. Me and the delivery guy was shocked when he said he has 14 laptops for me. He was shocked because he thought it was for a company until he arrived to my small house and I came to the door in shabby cloths who just woke up. Any ways I ask him multiple times to see if he is sure and he shows me his mailing list showing 14 serial codes all addressed to me. He brings them out 4 by 4 and I stack them inside my living room thinking like I'm dreaming. Each and every laptop is exactly the same and im guessing brand new. Each is worth around $1800 CAD so around $25000 CAD in total. I open one and sure enough its the same specs and sparkling new.

• AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H 8-core/16
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 6GB GDDR6 115W
  • 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 3200MHz
  • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
  • 15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) 165Hz 300 nits Display

I have a few laughs and upload it on reddit and take a few pictures and put all of them in my basement. Now the question is what should I do with them. Some are saying to call Dell and send them back, some are saying to wait for them to call and that they should come and get it, others are saying to keep it because Dell is a multibillion dollar company and they wont care about you. I haven't been charged nor do I think they can charge me. But I am worried about what Dell might do to get these back and what are the legal ramifications/consequences. Some advice would be nice thankyou.

The reddit post.

20211216_165252.jpg

If they sent them to you, and your address was on them, then they can't do much about it(I think, im no legal expert). Sure, you could send them back(which is what I would do(maybe))

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

Yes my name and address where on all the boxes. Also checked my Dell account and saw 14 of these laptops saying shipped to me but all of them with a price of $0.00.

1 minute ago, Epic Squeaker said:

Yes my name and address where on all the boxes. Also checked my Dell account and saw 14 of these laptops saying shipped to me but all of them with a price of $0.00.

Then yeah, they can not do much about it. And they probably wont try either. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

Sell them. IANAL but I believe the law in the US is that you can keep anything that is sent to you by mistake IF it is addressed to YOU.

Maybe not the best thing to brag about it online as it makes it a lot easier for them to identify you. And given the value here they may try to get them back.

8 minutes ago, Epic Squeaker said:

But I am worried about what Dell might do to get these back and what are the legal ramifications/consequences

As mentioned previously, if they sent them to you then there is not much they can do. The company sends stuff too you they cannot legally require or charge you with anything.

I would keep them and maybe donate some to local charities? It is also around Christmas and they would also make for really good Christmas gifts lmao! What a funny thing!

Pretty sure if you were sent them, they're yours. You can contact them, but I'm pretty sure they're just gonna say they screwed up and you're the benefactor. 

What I'd probably do is hook up my entire friends/family with laptops. I'd say you're done with Christmas shopping for the year.

i would send them back as i would feel bad keeping something i didn't pay for. that's just me though, pretty sure my opinion on that is unpopular lol. no judgement either way, they are technically rightfully yours afaik.

15 minutes ago, Epic Squeaker said:

list showing 14 serial codes all addressed to me

2 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

i would send them back as i would feel bad keeping something i didn't pay for. that's just me though, pretty sure my opinion on that is unpopular lol. no judgement either way, they are technically rightfully yours afaik.

Not unpopular.

This is why I'd at least call them. Give out, sell them what ever. Down the line Dell realizes they messed up, one needs sent in for RMA and the S/N matches one of these. They could just flat out deny that RMA. Then if you sold it, you've got someone who bought a brand new laptop, but can't get it warrantied. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Contact dell and sort it out.  

Do not take legal advice from the Internet. 

That being said, I'm fairly certain they can come after you for them.  Same as if a bank makes an error and accidentally gives you money. 

17 minutes ago, Epic Squeaker said:

pls send laptop, I'll pay shipping.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, Heliian said:

Contact dell and sort it out.  

image.png.571e80e23fa443224b3a6036b25c14fe.png

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

"According to the Federal Trade Commission, you don’t have to pay for it. Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment...If you receive merchandise that you didn’t order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift. Although you have no legal obligation to notify the seller, you may write the seller and offer to return the merchandise, provided the seller pays for shipping and handling."

You do NOT have a legal obligation to return it. If you feel bad about you can if you want but I would recommend informing the company of this and asking if they want them back but it is not required from any legal perspective. If your ethical sense tells you too then you can. But no legal action can be taken against you.

I agree with @RONOTHAN## I think your Christmas shopping is all done😂😁.

1 minute ago, char3327 said:

"According to the Federal Trade Commission, you don’t have to pay for it. Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment...If you receive merchandise that you didn’t order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift. Although you have no legal obligation to notify the seller, you may write the seller and offer to return the merchandise, provided the seller pays for shipping and handling."

You do NOT have a legal obligation to return it. If you feel bad about you can if you want but I would recommend informing the company of this and asking if they want them back but it is not required from any legal perspective. If your ethical sense tells you too then you can. But no legal action can be taken against you.

I agree with @RONOTHAN## I think your Christmas shopping is all done😂😁.

this is in canada tho

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

I'd start by asking an actual lawyer, not the internet. Then I'd contact dell. I'd propose a charity to receive them on behalf of both you and dell. You get an ego boost and dell looks ok despite a mixup. (or dell says no and looks like an ass) 

Just now, adarw said:

this is in canada tho

Oh haha...I am pretty sure that the consumer protection act that is in effect would say the same thing

17 minutes ago, sub68 said:

image.png.571e80e23fa443224b3a6036b25c14fe.png

Well this was before, but I kind of argued with my dad saying this could help me pay a year of my university and student loans. Told him that to them its nothing as they are a billon dollar company and that my name and address is on it. So we decided to wait and see if Dell ever calls or messages me asking for these laptops back. If not then I guess im keeping them. 

1 minute ago, Epic Squeaker said:

So we decided to wait and see if Dell ever calls or messages me asking for these laptops back. If not then I guess im keeping them. 

Smart decision! Good luck

20 minutes ago, char3327 said:

Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise

This is aimed at scam merchandise and con jobs.  

I did a little digging and In Ontario, Canada the act mentions unsolicited goods but there are exceptions which include:

(9) In this section,

“unsolicited goods or services” means,

(a)  goods that are supplied to a consumer who did not request them but does not include,

(i)  goods that the recipient knows or ought to know are intended for another person,

He knows they're not intended for him. 

I imagine it's similar in other provinces but a lawyer from your province would know. 

Just now, Bitter said:

Mine ETH with them until a Dell lawyer demands you send them back.

They can't do that lmao

2 minutes ago, Heliian said:

I did a little digging and In Ontario, Canada the act mentions unsolicited goods but there are exceptions which include:

(9) In this section,

“unsolicited goods or services” means,

(a)  goods that are supplied to a consumer who did not request them but does not include,

(i)  goods that the recipient knows or ought to know are intended for another person,

Yep, so if a company send you stuff that you didn't order then they are legally yours.  they have your address on them so they are intended for you

1 minute ago, char3327 said:

They can't do that lmao

They can mine ETH just fine, make money with them while you can and then wait for Dell to harass you. If you end up needing a lawyer Dell could extract way more than the worth of the laptops in just punative legal fee's from you defending yourself against them. If Dell never comes knocking then fine.

2 minutes ago, char3327 said:

Yep, so if a company send you stuff that you didn't order then they are legally yours.  they have your address on them so they are intended for you

It's just like if a bank accidentally deposits 100,000 instead of 1000 into your account, the other 99,000 isn't yours and the bank legally can take it back from your account or sue you to return it if you withdraw it, and believe me they will do just that. When Dell catches on they'll want their money or merchandise and if you don't have either you'll be seeing the inside of a courtroom.