Dell accidently sent me 14 of their G15 (5515) Gaming laptop. What should I do?

Epic Squeaker
Go to solution Solved by Epic Squeaker,

I have decided to wait for a response from Dell. If they want it back then they will have to call and come here and take it them selves. If they don't and they are asking for a shipping charge then I don't think its my responsibility to send it back to them. And if they dont take them then this will help me pay back my student loans. Thankyou everyone for the responses. 

Just now, Bitter said:

It's just like if a bank accidentally deposits 100,000 instead of 1000 into your account, the other 99,000 isn't yours and the bank legally can take it back from your account or sue you to return it if you withdraw it, and believe me they will do just that. When Dell catches on they'll want their money or merchandise and if you don't have either you'll be seeing the inside of a courtroom.

The laws for banking and the laws for mailed goods are not the same.

1 minute ago, char3327 said:

Yep, so if a company send you stuff that you didn't order then they are legally yours. 

The goods were not unsolicited, he had active dealings with dell.

I despise dell more than most and I don't care if they lose a couple thousand dollars. They also have lawyers and I don't want anyone to have to get dragged through the legal system by them.  

Time to mine.. or organise a LAN party

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

2 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Exactly.  

"The "unsolicited goods" provisions in the CPA specifically exclude scenarios where the receiver "knows or ought to know" they are intended "for another person". That exclusion probably catches this scenario."

Wait why are we still arguing this? The question has been answered and the person who had the question has already made a decision...this feels pointless

3 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Just now, char3327 said:

"The "unsolicited goods" provisions in the CPA specifically exclude scenarios where the receiver "knows or ought to know" they are intended "for another person". That exclusion probably catches this scenario."

Exactly. If and when Dell figures this out they'll want the products back or money equal to the products and will likely send a very terse letter to the point with words and terms that lawyers are familiar with. I would advise against selling them. Probably should not even open or use them either but it's not super hard to (just time consuming) to wipe them back to their original states and repackage them as if they were new. Legally the safest thing would be to contact Dell and just get them sent back and have a fun story to tell people.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Exactly. If and when Dell figures this out they'll want the products back or money equal to the products and will likely send a very terse letter to the point with words and terms that lawyers are familiar with. I would advise against selling them. Probably should not even open or use them either but it's not super hard to (just time consuming) to wipe them back to their original states and repackage them as if they were new. Legally the safest thing would be to contact Dell and just get them sent back and have a fun story to tell people.

The most they can do is write a scary letter. Again I am not 100% certain about Canada but in the US you have absolutely no obligation for items sent by mistake.

Apple once sent me 2 brand new ipads by mistake. Guess what I did with them.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Legally the safest thing would be to contact Dell and just get them sent back and have a fun story to tell people.

Wait for Dell to contact you. A multibillion dollar company might not even notice that those laptops are missing. If Dell contacts you to ask for them back then you should return them but Dell would have to pay for the shipping

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

Never thought there were so many morally inept and ethically fucked people on this forum.

"LeGaLlY iTs YoUrs!!!!"

what the fuck, seriously?

Best part is that the things that are cited say they can't be charged for them. Dell can still demand them back, and have fun with lawyers. I wouldn't put that past Dell. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, dilpickle said:

The most they can do is write a scary letter. Again I am not 100% certain about Canada but in the US you have absolutely no obligation for items sent by mistake.

Apple once sent me 2 brand new ipads by mistake. Guess what I did with them.

He's in Canada so US law has no bearing. I'm sure Dell has a pretty firm grasp on Canadian law and will figure it out in their favor.

Just now, char3327 said:

Wait for Dell to contact you. A multibillion dollar company might not even notice that those laptops are missing. If Dell contacts you to ask for them back then you should return them but Dell would have to pay for the shipping

Yes, obviously they'd pay return shipping. I bet they'll notice and they do know where they went. Potentially Dell could argue that the recipient acted in bad faith if they sold the laptops knowing they weren't intended to be sent them, and Dell could catch this if someone who bought one sought warranty service on it.

I have decided to wait for a response from Dell. If they want it back then they will have to call and come here and take it them selves. If they don't and they are asking for a shipping charge then I don't think its my responsibility to send it back to them. And if they dont take them then this will help me pay back my student loans. Thankyou everyone for the responses. 

Just now, Epic Squeaker said:

I have decided to wait for a response from Dell. If they want it back then they will have to call and come here and take it them selves. If they don't and they are asking for a shipping charge then I don't think its my responsibility to send it back to them. Thankyou everyone for the responses. 

Good call.

I wouldn't even wait to be contacted or even to contact them. I'd mark them return to sender, you never saw them. You want nothing to do with someone else's mistake. That's not a local seat belt ticket, the amount of money there is a US federal offense. 

I'm not a law expert, but they extradite for less......

41 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's just like if a bank accidentally deposits 100,000 instead of 1000 into your account, the other 99,000 isn't yours and the bank legally can take it back from your account or sue you to return it if you withdraw it, and believe me they will do just that. When Dell catches on they'll want their money or merchandise and if you don't have either you'll be seeing the inside of a courtroom.

Nope.

Banks are different. They didn't send that money to their address, it would be a deposit through their own system, giving them extra recourses to get it back.

DELL shipped those, addressed to OP personally. Yes it was a mistake, BUT they are under no legal obligation to call them or give the laptops back. If there were different names on the boxes, yeah maybe it would be morally wrong because they are obviously not meant for OP... But these have their name. 14 boxes with OP's name and address.
DELL are the ones who made the mistake and they have no legal recourse other than asking "pretty please give them back".
Say what you want about morality, unsolicited merchandise addressed to you is free to keep, no matter how ridiculously expensive they are.

Both Canada and the US, the recipient of such unsolicited goods has no legal obligation to pay any invoice or to return the goods.
https://www.legalline.ca/legal-answers/unsolicited-goods-and-services/

https://definitions.uslegal.com/u/unsolicited-goods/

So OP, do what you want with them. Don't care what others have to say about it. You are literally in the right on the legal side of things.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro