Micro$oft Winblows 11 has less than 0.21% adoption rates from compatible PCs, says Lansweeper

WhitetailAni
1 hour ago, Sauron said:

They haven't really pushed the upgrade much, I think they're not that interested in getting you off of 10 yet.

Yep. I have a machine that's supported, up to date on win10, and it has not mentioned anything about W11 yet, didn't even get the "your pc is eligible/not" on the Windows Updates page.

My Dell laptop got it straight away though. They'll likely push the update only through the big OEMs for a while more. "General availability" wasn't even supposed to be until Jan/Feb.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I wouldn't doubt a lot of people don't even realize Windows11 is even a thing, or that its out right now.
Even as someone who keeps up with this kinda stuff, I barely heard anything about it, besides: TPM requirement, and issues with Ryzen, and that Alder Lake works well with it.

All things that you'd also hear if it was still in beta.

Time will tell if it is a new Vista and Win 8. 

Rmember an old company I worked for we ran XP until 2011 and then switched to Win 7. 

Another company I’ve worked for after that ran Win 7 until 2015 and switched to Win 10. 

I plan to upgrade soon-ish though. Wasn't really in rush from the start but yeah, number of reasons I want to as well. Like better multi-monitor support and other. 

We'll see how it goes in time.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Every time I install it, I usually end up going back to 10 within a week or so.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

They haven't really pushed the upgrade much, I think they're not that interested in getting you off of 10 yet. When 10 launched they were in a rush to stop supporting the aging 7 and the irrelevant 8; that's not the case now. I think a lot more people are going to upgrade once the initial bugs are ironed out and 10's EOL nears, right now there just isn't much reason to.

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't even know that windows 11 was out and even a thing if I hadn't seen it in tech news on this forum. It's not like I have been prompted to switch to windows 11 nor have I seen any advertisements for it. Honestly from what I have seen it doesn't seem like it's much different from windows 10 and doesn't add much functionality either. 

We just went to Win10 2-3 years ago, win11 is a long way out in the corporate mass structure.  

My rig is staying Win10 as there is currently no reason to switch. 

Just received (Nov. 25th) a new laptop with win11 installed but it replaced my win7 laptop so I guess I adopted it. 

I'm managing Windows Updates in my company and we'll just wait until we get newer hardware anyway and just hand them out to the employees with Windows 11 pre-installed. This will happen next year or the year after that. So I guess companies not adopting Win11 this early (with Win10 still supported for a long time now) is to be expected.

Quite frankly, I don't know why anyone would "upgrade" to Windows 11 during its first year of release. I thought the same thing when Windows 10 came out. Why would anyone want to be an early adopter? When has it ever worked out well? Wait a year or two while the polished OS still has support for most of the bugs to be ironed out and then upgrade. Am I the only one here with the super power of "the ability to remember things" and "pattern recognition?"

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Imo there are a few main things keeping Win 11 adoption low. 

1. Relatively high system requirements (not in terms of performance, but in how new the machine is)
  2. It's different, and people don't like different. 

Of all the PCs and laptops that are out there right now, how many of these meet the Windows 11 system requirements? I bet it's not a lot compared to how many machines are running Windows 10. Now combine that small number with all the people who have seen videos on Windows 11 and rightfully don't like many of the changes? 

Most people don't want to relearn how to use their computer. While someone like me was fine installing it day 1 when it was available to me, Dad probably remembers Windows 8 and has decided to sit this one out. And rightfully so, the differences from 10 to 11 are pretty big. The start menu is gone, right click is mentally deficient, the task bar is anemic, and it looks different. 

There is a reason I'm not updating our Work PCs to Windows 11. It would cause too much confusion. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

15 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Huh,The steam survey however shows a higher rate of adoption: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/steam-shows-9-percent-windows-11 

The percentage change is primarily upgrading from Windows 10 to 11. But I'm curious to know of those upgrades, how many of them were laptops? Because laptops will already have had the system requirements such as UEFI boot with a GPT drive and Secure Boot enabled. With desktops, doubtful many come with fTPM and Secure Boot enabled by default; that takes effort. It's possible that Steam players are simply more technically savvy and figured out how to jump through hoops to make the PC Windows 11 compliant for the upgrade.

Capture.JPG.642a93c8d2b35b6b1da8f2d50e6082c5.JPG

16 hours ago, Cool Dude 101 said:

If windows 11 would support older hardware they would probably see a jump in adoption rate.

Probably defeats the purpose of updating the OS at all.

Basically you'll only see three upgrade/new users to Windows 11 this/next year:

- Those systems with 12th gen CPU's/upgrades

- Those systems with fTPM's and DirectX 12 Ultimate GPU's

- Systems with 8th/9th/10th gen Intel CPU's and 3xxx/5xxx Ryzen CPU's that reinstall after their BIOS is silently updated (if permitted to by the BIOS)

I do not see most people turning on the fTPM if they are running 10, because it's nice not to break things. However if they are upgrading to 11 as part of reinstalling, they might have inadvertently had it activated in a BIOS update.

I actually predict this will be a repeat of Vista. Where the security was turned up too high, which leads to resistance to updating. Like just for reference, the office I was doing work for LAST YEAR, was forced to update their Windows 7 systems that they were still installing NEW on hardware in 2019, and the vast majority of the Windows 7 systems that came back could be upgraded to Windows 10 and shipped right back out to send users home because of the pandemic. In fact Windows 10 is largely why they could work from home at all.

But that has ship has sailed. All the deployed hardware will be out there for another 3-5 years due to the chip shortage. So getting a large Windows 11 install base will not be seen before 2027.

9 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

Quite frankly, I don't know why anyone would "upgrade" to Windows 11 during its first year of release. I thought the same thing when Windows 10 came out. Why would anyone want to be an early adopter? When has it ever worked out well? Wait a year or two while the polished OS still has support for most of the bugs to be ironed out and then upgrade. Am I the only one here with the super power of "the ability to remember things" and "pattern recognition?"

I moved to Win10 at release (actually used prerelease for a few month before that) without issues, so after checking I could use 11 (couple of tweaks needed) I switched my main machine too and haven't had issues so far. 

Things have improved a bit since Vista days...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

There’s no reason to install it right now

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

7 hours ago, Kisai said:

after their BIOS is silently updated

You cant be serious, what kind of moron would allow that to exist.....

Upgrade to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware - The easiest way

I heard this upgrade path to Windows 11 is easier than modifying both ISOs of Windows 10 and Windows 11 

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Like others have suggested, Microsoft isn't actively pushing Windows 11 upgrades yet; you generally have to make a conscious decision to either update or buy a PC with the OS pre-installed. Now, if it's three months after general availability (around mid-2022) and Win 11's market share is still oddly low... then you have reason for concern.

Also, to the OP: "Winblows?" What is this, 2002? I'm a Mac user and think many more people should give Apple a try, but I respect Microsoft and use mature language to refer to its products. It's like using "M$..." the world has moved on, it's time you did as well!

215178115_ExTPi-L-2.jpg.f151f437c6af719fe78dcb137ba733f5.jpg

23 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Well, If you checkout BestBuy, at lest in Canada, you can see that you have many (possibly most) laptops sold are still under Windows 10.

While they do say "free upgrade to Windows 11", most consumers won't upgrade, they won't know how, let alone know how to check for updates to see the banner.

I think Microsoft plans are pretty clear. When Windows 10 will reach end of life, all supported system will be forced upgrade to Windows 11, or at the very least, when coming close to the end of life of Windows 10 (probably in early 2025), have pop-ups to upgrade, much like Windows 10 did.

Microsoft knows that:

• By having users switch to Windows 11, Microsoft doesn't gain much. So they can stay under WIn10. The new Store is now on both OSs.
  • Windows 11 shares the same code base as Windows 10, so maintenance cost would be low. Bug in one, have a good chance to be in the other.
  • People uses the OS that the system came with. 
  • Companies computers don't have Windows 11. The update is not available yet. "General Availability" status (as per MS definition)  has not been reached (expected "early next year"... this was said before Windows 11 was released)
  • Windows 11 update available though Windows Update is not available to all yet. It is still a wave release.

So, considering that the OS was released for only 2 months, I am not surprised. I am more surprised by the adoption rate shown of gamers based of Steam Hardware Survey. I expected it to be the very low.

So flat out, you are saying that 11 is completely useless. 3 steps back. Just like I said to you in this other thread:

Which is surprising because 10 has been near useless with all the issues MS introduced into it via the updates. Again, this is why recommend the mods from Team OS with all the crap removed from the image; including that stupid CPU/TPM/Secure boot stipulation. Therefore, 3 steps ahead.

been using since august without any problems

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

as for the tech circle and social media, there was a lot of talk around windows 11 going to improve gaming performance and other various "features".

however I do wish for some of these features, not something I want to mess with microsofts BS. And how bloated it might become "Hello edge".

Some going for the HDR or multi-monitor support. also the "encouragement" there was in the beginning around windows 11, "look at these new features for gaming".

Then hearing so many on the forums having issues in updating to windows 11. then the whole intel's new CPUs and AMD issues.

But the mods for windows 11 looks awesome, I don't want the default mess of windows 11 and how it might push so much more later on. From phone apps, the microsoft store and from amazon. And more things they seem to mess with again.

MS next week "hey we're pushing this out for compatible PC's with windows update on the normal channels, you won't have a choice"

*the IT guys cry in the background as it starts updating incompatible machines and they have issues*

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

46 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Also, to the OP: "Winblows?" What is this, 2002? I'm a Mac user and think many more people should give Apple a try, but I respect Microsoft and use mature language to refer to its products. It's like using "M$..." the world has moved on, it's time you did as well!

Geez....
He's just telling the truth and what year it happens to be doesn't make it any different.
If Winblows, it blows.... And it does, big time.

That's why I moved to Linux and ain't coming back.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

59 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Geez....
He's just telling the truth and what year it happens to be doesn't make it any different.
If Winblows, it blows.... And it does, big time.

That's why I moved to Linux and ain't coming back.

Same. But I am glad I ditched Windows after 7. Everything else has been a disaster afterwards. And since I was using open source software long before, it just made sense.

But this 11 release is worse. Like I said to others; 3 steps back. This is why I suggest lite mods of Windows with all the crap removed from Team OS if one must use Windows.

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

You cant be serious, what kind of moron would allow that to exist.....

That exists on all laptops, and name-brand desktops.

Hell, the ASUS Zephyr laptop I allowed the Windows 11 upgrade to proceed on, would not reinstall Windows 10 unless I replaced the battery, because the battery's reported 0% charge was blocking the mandatory BIOS update. No BIOS update, No install of ANY OS.

On Dell this is very much a thing, and if the laptop or desktop is behind on BIOS updates, it will be fetched from Windows update unless you explicitly turn capsule firmware update from the BIOS off.

17 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That exists on all laptops, and name-brand desktops.

Hell, the ASUS Zephyr laptop I allowed the Windows 11 upgrade to proceed on, would not reinstall Windows 10 unless I replaced the battery, because the battery's reported 0% charge was blocking the mandatory BIOS update. No BIOS update, No install of ANY OS.

On Dell this is very much a thing, and if the laptop or desktop is behind on BIOS updates, it will be fetched from Windows update unless you explicitly turn capsule firmware update from the BIOS off.

I can already see before my eyes the poor bastard who wants to warranty their stuff but get refused because it was caused by a failed BIOS update..... :old-dry: That "feature" is just dumb beyond description. As a rule of thumb you never-ever update the BIOS unless you absolutely have to.