Micro$oft Winblows 11 has less than 0.21% adoption rates from compatible PCs, says Lansweeper

WhitetailAni

wouldn't care if one could buy a "clean" windows 11 or windows 10. but those who buy windows 10 were already disappointed. I guess windows 11 is better in some ways and being "free", but would like if one could skip having all the bloat and extra invasive content like edge me a new soul.

21 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

wouldn't care if one could buy a "clean" windows 11 or windows 10. but those who buy windows 10 were already disappointed. I guess windows 11 is better in some ways and being "free", but would like if one could skip having all the bloat and extra invasive content like edge me a new soul.

Aint happening, they want you to pay for it then they also datamine you regardless. Double dipping aholes....

I have Windows 11 on my Zephyrus G15. I haven't had any major issues yet, but there are some very real bone headed issues with this OS

Pros:

- I like the UI design language better. But it is still inconsistent across elements just like Windows 8 and 10 (It's all rounded corners, except when it's not)

- I like the new system sounds

Cons:

- centered taskbar sucks. You can't just whip your mouse to the corner to hit the start menu. So I immediately changed it back to left side in about 15 min into Windows 11 (and I'm generally a person who likes and embraces UI changes)

- Right click is nerfed. I hate how I always have to click on show more option and then time travel back to Windows 10 UI design. Why is incorporating extra option in modern UI and a persistent setting to always show more options beats me

- Right clicking taskbar does not have the damn task manager anymore. Now I have the task manger pinned on my taskbar

- Connecting bluetooth device involves extra steps. The control center thing is pretty useless, and I have to open the settings and right click on the device to connect? Like why can't they have an option like how they show Wifi ??

- Win+A does not open notifications anymore

- The only new thing about multiple desktops was the ability to "put different wallpapers", but the icons would remain the same. Like what was even the point of this feature in the first place if the icons still remained the same as the original desktop

- I can't middle click Windows explorer to open in a new window (not sure if this was an issue in windows 10)

- Windows search still sucks ass. Half the time, it can't find VSCode even though its an app I open everyday. Calculator on search works like 20% of time

And the worst one: You can't bloody drag documents or images into another app without having that app shown somewhere on the desktop. Previously I could minimize the window, drag whatever onto the taskbar icon fo the app I wanted to maximize again and drag it into it. Now I legit have to spend time resizing the window to make sure it is still seen on desktop before I drag any file into it. It's honestly so bad that makes no sense

2 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

And the worst one: You can't bloody drag documents or images into another app without having that app shown somewhere on the desktop. Previously I could minimize the window, drag whatever onto the taskbar icon fo the app I wanted to maximize again and drag it into it.

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

Nope...

Capture.JPG.4e5840feae12a06f17773946b9e46a18.JPG

Win10 nagware all over again? 🤔 Also it seems they modified the update page in settings:
21h2_wu.png

9 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Win10 nagware all over again? 🤔 Also it seems they modified the update page in settings:

I guess they haven't "fixed" the updating tools. think you are up to date? think again! oh its stuck finding an update? lets delay it! or we can just set back the auto-restart feature windows edition.

I'm not surprised that the adoption rate is so low. Folks either own a machine that's too old or don't bother cause they can still use Windows 10 until 2025.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

15 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I noticed it this morning via a Windows Update notification in the system tray. Only this time it had a blue dot next to it. Never seen this before. Clicked on it and brought me to the Windows Update status with that notification. I clicked the link "Stay on Windows 10 for now". Hopefully it wont nag me anymore.

My friend just installed it in a VM to play around with it. We both are probably waiting a year or more before we install. Like he said, there really isn't any benefit right now with upgrading to it. The Snap groups and layout is the only feature I might like and its not enough for me to change over. It took Windows 10 a while before it was nice and stable. I think waiting is the best choice for most people. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Oh, I would love to switch over to Windows 11. I don't really have any complaints in terms of UI and definitely like some of the changes in terms of making the UI more consistent. I really like that I can move all my icons to start menu (hate the recommended section though) and clean up the desktop as compared to having the icons as ugly ass coloured tiles on the Start Menu in W10.

But I really cannot upgrade to it. My new Oneplus Bullets Wireless Z bluetooth earphones do not work properly and constantly crackle and pop whenever connected and this is only visible in Windows 11. These same earphones work perfectly on Windows 10 on the same hardware, same driver versions. I have tried every possible way to fix it, reinstalling drivers, disabling Handsfree Telephony, disabling mic, everything, it still does not work.

Maybe the audio codec changes in Windows 11 are causing this issue, but if that's the case, I guess these will never work properly on W11 ever? 

Edit: This weekend, I tried the latest dev preview version of Windows 11 to see if it was fixed, but nope. I guess I'll keep using W10.

On 12/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, Kisai said:

Dell's have a backup BIOS, but it gets updated at the same time, so it's usefulness is questionable. It's not like desktop boards which can sometimes have two physical firmware chips. Gigabyte was once offering "QuadBios" features, but those features likewise don't even work, and causes the board to get into a firmware update loop, and self-destructs. 

I hate being right sometimes:

image.thumb.png.9d2e388457c733d77186e8d927513842.png

Gamers Nexus pointed this one out, but note the change to the fTPM in the last version of the firmware, AND, that you can't downgrade it.

It will not surprise me if other Manufacturers are doing this. As I mentioned above "Capsule BIOS" allows Windows (or any OS) to force an update of the UEFI firmware.

If Microsoft wants more people to upgrade, the fTPM needs to be enabled by default, which it normally wasn't until Windows 11 was announced.

I can't get chrome working on my newest windows 11 machine, so when my newest one gets delivered today it's going to windows 10 since I simply can't have things not work.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

Majority of the people won't upgrade their os, they will use whatever comes with their PC

So windows 11 will mostly be picked up by people buying new PC, and guess what's not happening lately?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

My friend installed it in a VM, the pro version I beleive. He wanted to do some evaluation with it. Probably not going to upgrade his machines for a while, but figured he could dip his toe in to the pool. 

Why would any Business move over to a Major Update of an OS that is still in Beta anyway? In addiction I'm note entire sure what the purpose the TPM is suppose to serve to begin with.

53 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

entire sure what the purpose the TPM is suppose to serve to begin with.

I think its used for some kinda of security and helps with disk encryption. 

54 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Why would any Business move over to a Major Update of an OS that is still in Beta anyway?

To be clear. While you can download Windows 11, Microsoft is not actively pushing it to machines yet. I think you still have to opt in to the Windows Insider Program to do an upgrade install. Microsoft announced it wont be till some time early next year they start pushing it, Im going to guess its going to be like most of the major updates on Windows 10. They will do it in batches, probably based on if hardware has been tested and such. Businesses wont move over unless they have a compelling reason to do so. Even then, they will have to take time to ensure all software works before they move over.  

I wonder how long it will be before someone releases a 'Never 11' tool?

On 12/3/2021 at 6:45 PM, YellowJersey said:

Quite frankly, I don't know why anyone would "upgrade" to Windows 11 during its first year of release. I thought the same thing when Windows 10 came out. Why would anyone want to be an early adopter? When has it ever worked out well? Wait a year or two while the polished OS still has support for most of the bugs to be ironed out and then upgrade. Am I the only one here with the super power of "the ability to remember things" and "pattern recognition?"

I've long told customers that they should wait a minimum of 6 months whenever a new OS comes out.  Even still, you always have those who see an update available, and click on it without paying any attention to what it is.

20 hours ago, Kisai said:

As I mentioned above "Capsule BIOS" allows Windows (or any OS) to force an update of the UEFI firmware.

Hmm, interesting.  Thankfully, the BIOS version for my board is F61 (also a Gigabyte board), and the version with Capsule BIOS support is F62d.  Since I almost never install beta BIOS versions, I was able to avoid that.  Let's see how long I can get away with it before I'll be forced to upgrade.

I won't care until windows 11 gets to the point where people aren't reporting large issues and that Microsoft has the feature set they promised. Then I'll give it a shot.

Or I'll just give it a shot anyway for fun and regret it a bunch.

3 hours ago, XPWasTheBestOne said:

Or I'll just give it a shot anyway for fun and regret it a bunch.

do it. i did on my "not compatible" laptop... there are a few bugs but nothing too bad as far I could tell.

ultimately i went back to win 10 after a month, because i really do not welcome the whole tpm nonsense and also otherwise there weren't any real features that i felt i need/want, round corners are nice... but so is my win 10 after some tinkering:

fllscrn_start4c0jfm.thumb.png.172fbef60968f206cadd2cc8f36fe73e.pngfllscrn_start2wkk3b.thumb.png.fb4ac403e7b1332b4538a74c6ee6da6f.png

note i used an early beta version of 11 and gaming performance was *exactly* the same as win 10, so outside some bugs and tpm shenanigans (which *will* come) there isn't really anything to say against win 11 from my POV

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Until I don't have to sign up for an account on a fresh copy of W11Home, I will stay on 10.

On 12/5/2021 at 1:42 PM, RedRound2 said:

- Right clicking taskbar does not have the damn task manager anymore. Now I have the task manger pinned on my taskbar

And I though everyone just used the keyboard shortcut for it as I did,  Ctrl, Shift, Esc. I guess not. 

On 12/5/2021 at 1:42 PM, RedRound2 said:

And the worst one: You can't bloody drag documents or images into another app without having that app shown somewhere on the desktop. Previously I could minimize the window, drag whatever onto the taskbar icon fo the app I wanted to maximize again and drag it into it. Now I legit have to spend time resizing the window to make sure it is still seen on desktop before I drag any file into it. It's honestly so bad that makes no sense

Wouldn't affect me that often, but that sound irritating.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I just refuse to acknowledge Win11 even exists, out of sheer spite for whoever decided to remove the option to add taskbar labels back

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

the taskmanager thing still works btw... right click on windows icon... ive never even seen this on the taskbar in win 10 either... but even then not a big change at all... 🤷‍♂️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity