Facebook's new name is going to be Meta

spartaman64

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced Thursday at the company’s Connect event that the social media platform’s new name will be Meta. “We are a company that builds technology to connect,” Zuckerberg said. “Together, we can finally put people at the center of our technology. And together, we can unlock a massively bigger creator economy.”

He said the name Facebook doesn’t fully encompass everything the company does. “Right now, our brand is so tightly linked to one product,” he said. “But over time, I hope we are seen as a metaverse company.”

Zuckerberg owns the Twitter handle @meta and meta.com, which now redirects to a welcome page on Facebook that outlines the changes.

Zuckerberg wrote in a blog post Thursday that the company’s corporate structure would not be changing, but how it reports financial results will. “Starting with our results for the fourth quarter of 2021, we plan to report on two operating segments: Family of Apps and Reality Labs” he explained. “We also intend to start trading under the new stock ticker we have reserved, MVRS, on December 1. Today’s announcement does not affect how we use or share data.”

source: https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/28/22745234/facebook-new-name-meta-metaverse-zuckerberg-rebrand

I guess that's one way of trying to get away from the bad PR they are having right now. But I feel like its sort of a bland name and the change is kind of unnecessary.

Yeah the Metaverse is awesome I've even invested in a company focused on the Metaverse. But c'mon changing your name to meta. It just kinda sounds cringe like "hey check out my meta post" or "Are you on meta?" Idk what do I know about marketing. I guess since they are so big already they could have called it anything they wanted and people would still know what it was. Besides if they are trying to spin their PR it's not working those same articles talk about how they changed their name because they weren't able to attract kids yikes!

Not even going into the name itself, I am just not familiar at all with the Facebook platform to know if it's a good fit or not.

I've always disliked names like this though. Meta is already a word, by Facebook now choosing to go with that name, looking up the word online is going to fill the result with irrelevant Facebook results.

Of course Facebook isn't the only company guilty of this (there is also Honey, Steam, Alphabet, etc.), it's just another example to add to the collection of "Companies who chose an already-existing word as their name, making online results muddled".

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Sounds similar to what google/alphabet did. meta is an odd company name though

Actually its kind of a brilliant name, meta means self referencing and the entirety of social media is built around people referencing themselves.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

This is rather confusing. Is Meta the name of the company and Facebook being part of it, just like Google and Meta or is the social media actually being renamed Meta?

fb literally becoming a meme from few years ago. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

22 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

This is rather confusing. Is Meta the name of the company and Facebook being part of it, just like Google and Meta or is the social media actually being renamed Meta?

Remember when Google became Alphabet?

Basically the exact same thing.

Nothing really important.

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

55 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Sounds similar to what google/alphabet did. meta is an odd company name though

METAverse. Metaverse. Metadata. TBH it did surprise me that they named it that, I thought it'd be something else. But oh well.

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

So Facebook.com, the site called "Facebook" is not changing name. It's the parent company who owns facebook.com, formerly known as Facebook Inc, that is changing its name to meta platforms Inc. 

I can see why they did this. As Zuck said, having your company also be the name of your product is confusing and limiting. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

So Facebook.com, the site called "Facebook" is not changing name. It's the parent company who owns facebook.com, formerly known as Facebook Inc, that is changing its name to meta platforms Inc. 

I can see why they did this. As Zuck said, having your company also be the name of your product is confusing and limiting. 

That makes this make so much more sense now. I was foreseeing so much chaos if the site rebranded.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I am reminded of Ron Artest changing his name to Meta Worldpeace trying to escape his reputation. It kinda worked… ? 

Damage control much? Such a perfect time for them to change their company's name and announce a whole bunch of shit like that scuffed looking 'VRChat/Second Life' 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

Thanks, I hate it. 

Meta is one of the newest words to be overused incorrectly and it makes me cringe.  

5 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

source: https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/28/22745234/facebook-new-name-meta-metaverse-zuckerberg-rebrand

I guess that's one way of trying to get away from the bad PR they are having right now. But I feel like its sort of a bland name and the change is kind of unnecessary.

My twitter timeline is full of takes like this:

As much as I hate the Facebook, or even the idea of Facebook having any role in anyones lives past 2025, it's pretty much a given that there will be people who just don't care.

Friends watched the the entire thing and were basically making "we got zuck blocked" type of comments because they only wanted to hear about new oculus equipment and there wasn't any.

The entire thing, was basically marketing of stuff they have been working on for the last 2 years, nothing particularly new. All this to launch a name they shouldn't have picked. I don't know if or how they managed to trademark "meta" since meta has a lot of uses on the web, going back to "meta tags" in html and "meta data" in photoshop jpeg's.

As for the portable avatars and mixed reality/AR/VR stuff itself. We've had avatars on the Wii and Xbox 360. There are vTubers today but have been around since at least 2016. None of this is breaking new ground. Just more of the same fluff we've been promised by Microsoft's Hololens and Google Glass which both became essentially vaporware with no general availability. 

If anything a lot of this VR/AR stuff continues to be perpetual vaporware because the hardware requirements to make it useful make it substantially out of reach of even high-end gamers, and to try and bring it down to game console levels of tech, leads to a poor overall experience. Like it's pretty ballsy to walk around a green screen PR movie, staring at an obvious teleprompter, when you're trying to market VR/AR holograms. They claim to have the tech to make realistic 3D avatars, so just bloody use that tech to make the film in the first place and demonstrate it as a practical use in real time.

When you look into the Metaverse, it looks back.

Being a Glasshole isn't so hot anymore amiright?

still not convinced to use facebook again.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

facebook is a cancer and now it has metastasized in our society.

image.png.30ac93bdf164a1656c73b5445a79f5a4.png

Never used any service from Facebook, not going to use any service from Meta.

Who even uses Facebook apart from old people and those few who use it to either promote their company or just have that 1 or 2 distant relatives for which they use FB to communicate? No one of young people use it.

I've been on it out of curiosity like a century ago at this point and it was totally whatever. Everyone posting their wonderful lives and having 3000 "friends". Everything about it felt pretentious and stupid so I just deleted it one day. You know, back when you could actually delete it... And soon after I dumped Google entirely too and started caring about privacy some more. So I know now that I have to just avoid Meta too, just like I avoided Fecesbook all this time.

How fitting, like metadata, which is really what facebook and Zuckerberg want to know, the data around you and about you, they don't actually care about knowing you or helping anyone or taking responsibility for anything.